Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone:
Today was a nice day for a ride. A little unseasonably cool, but nice. Please forgive the long post, but perhaps there is a lesson or two in here.

I live in Richmond, KY, where the Bluegrass region ends and the hills of Eastern Ky start. I wanted to try out my Ram ball on the right brake reservoir and X-grip mount for my cell phone so that I could use its gps capabilities (google maps).

I also had a bluetooth headset (LG hbs-730) which, when paired with my phone, allowed me to listen music AND to hear the GPS voice directions( like a poor man Zumo...).

The battery of the phone would not last 1 hour under these conditions, so I sneaked a a micro usb cable around the right handlebar and trough the main storage compartment, where I plugged it in in one of those two-way cigarette lighter-usb adapter with the extension cord that plugs in the Burgman power receptacle.

The set-up worked great and held the phone just right, and the battery was continually charged.

At one point I found myself riding a nice stretch of Highway 52, following a branch of the KY river on my right and sharply rising hills on my left, with no one around me and Beethoven's 9th symphony dusting the cobwebs of my soul...(sometimes I do get carried away:) ).
A mild case on numb butt suggested a quick stop for stretching after about an hour (see if you can find Beattyville on a KY maps :D ).

After another 20 miles or so ( in the middle of nowhere in the Daniel Boone National Forest) , I realized that the phone was not charging anymore. I pulled over to check the cable and, since I keep the main storage compartment locked, I need to pull the key out the ignition.

Open it up and started check things out. I notice nothing out of the ordinary, but probably the extension cord was not well seated in the power receptacle due to the bumpy roads.

At this point, to my horror, I realized that when I opened the main storage compartment, I had not taken the key out...said key has now a 30 degree bend in it due to my carelessness. I take it out of the lock and now I am confronted with the problem of straightening this key. I'll use the pliers in the tool kit...
Do you see the fallacy of this thought?

At this point I re-inserted the key in the glove box lock and very gingerly I bent it back.
It is not quite straight and does not want to go in the ignition. Back in the glove box lock for some more bending. After about 6-7 minutes I was able to push the key in the ignition far enough in that I can now open the under seat storage and retrieve the pliers. After 15 minutes of sheer panic ( i am 60 miles from home, in an area with no cell coverage, and with a bent ignition key), I am finally able to start back up. Needlessly to say, I have now on order
A) a Airhawk 2 cushion (much cheaper that a Corbin seat)
B) I will need to see if I can have a spare key stored somewhere on the Burgman (NOT in the under seat compartment!).

Thanks for reading.
Marco in KY

·
Registered
426 Posts
I keep a small multi function screw driver and set of needle nose pliers in the LHS glove box compartment. This allows me to be able to remove the single screw for the inspection cover and by default this removed, then allows one to access the seat release cable if needed ;)

The pliers have multiple uses including for puncture repairs which might require removal of any foreign body from the tread to then applying a sticky rubber strip and inflate with air to effect a puncture repair on the side of the road.

I carry a spare set of keys for a couple of my bikes in my RHS jacket pocket and make it a habit to always transfer these keys to any other jacket that I might wear (which usually only occurs as a result of seasonal changes), so consequently I move every item from one jacket pocket or another to the same corresponding pocket on the 'other' jacket. Just force of habit and routine.

I also carry a spare smart phone battery as I've also experienced a failing/flat phone battery when using GPS apps (mainly GarminXT) while riding along thinking the phone was being charged at the same time, only to find it was not for one reason or another. The connections can be temperamental at times and the charging LED can be small and sometimes not easily seen depending on environmental conditions at the time.

I have many of my bikes set up with a multi device holder line of sight where possible and on the AN650's I own that is the top of the dash. I also use a females hair tie (stretchy band) that I then secure around the rear of the device holder and the phone itself just as an added measure of assurance.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Me had a couple of spare key cut, Ilco # X241 Suz18 .
Unless me plan to close ignition key shutter which only do when stay at hotel otherwise always use ILCO key and hide OEM key in bike for emergency only.

Ilco key work perfect in ignition, it open seat and unlock gas cap perfectly as OEM key do.

Most locksmith carry such key, it cost about $4.00 cut.

http://mysecuritypro.com/SuzukiSUZ18KeyBlanks.aspx

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello Chérie:
I followed your advice and went to my local ACE hardware. The had the same exact key you suggested (Ilco x241 Suz18) and so $2.11 later I have a spare. I have not tested it yet but it looks identical to the OEM (with the exception of the magnetic side, of course) so it should work.
Thanks!
Marco

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Please note that "should work" is a whole lot different from "works great!" Test first, THEN celebrate!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello ChipDoc:
As a lab rat (I am a physicist by training) I agree with you. I was probably a bit optimistic :), but in any case the replacement key worked immediately on the ignition, but not on opening the trunk and on the steering lock position. A few minutes of filing the shoulders, however, and now it works on all position. So now I know I have a reliable source of spares.
Marco

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Excellent! Good to know that "works great" IS the actual answer!

·
Registered
162 Posts
I just got this in the mail today:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Suzu...nk-With-Uncut-Blade-3-Magnets/1231487535.html
already set the magnets up to match my stock key, going to get it cut tonight and get an ILCO spare to boot.

Plan is to leave the ONE and only original Suzuki key at home :)

This from china key appears to be original Suzuki stuff but rejected blemished stock.
slight plastic discoloration on mine, not that I care......

·
Registered
427 Posts
Ahh Daniel Boone what a great place. I made it there twice last year, riding and camping.

My solution, is to wear the spare key on a lanyard under my shirt but on top of my T shirt (undergarment). Never take it off, and it is always handy.

Thanks for sharing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts