Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone , since riding my 400 Burgman it feels like that I am on a hay wagon . I was reading the Owners Manual but it sounds a bit confusing on how to adjust the knob . Which way on the knob gives you a softer ride and what have you found to be the best setting ? Also, please give me the proper instructions on how to set it up properly .Thanks again and great site........Dan

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Look up at the knob, turn it clockwise to tighten the shock (stiffer ride) or counter-clockwise to loosen (softer ride).

·
Registered
250 Posts
Bill's got it. You might read the "Let's talk Pre-load adjustments" thread in General. There is alot of conversation going on regarding this issue. As a clarifier, you are not adjusting the shock. That is a sealed unit. What you are adjusting is the amount of tension placed on the spring around the shock while it is not in motion. It's called "pre-load". This controls how much the spring is allowed to compress during motion, as a spring with more tension on it is less likely to compress an additional amount when stressed by movement. This allows the bike to either give alot on loose settings for comfort, or give a little for performance but a bumpier ride. What setting is for you depends on preference. Too much is bad, because it can reduce your overall traction by rebounding the back wheel off the road on bumps, too little is bad, because the rear end will feel like it's really loose. Tire pressure will affect all this, too. The standard setting is 9 half-turns (clicks) clock-wise from the loosest setting. Turn the knob all the way counter-clockwise, then work your way back. I'd say start there and then play with it a couple of clicks at a time until you find something you like.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts