Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The four headlight adjusters on the twin headlight 400's are a real pain to get to.
There are two for each headlight, (10mm bolts), the upper one adjusts the beam height and the lower one is for lateral adjustment. You're unlikely to need to adjust the lateral one, but the height should really be more accessable as it can change so much with rider weight / pillion / luggage etc.
Anyway - if you want to delve in there, this is how I did it, takes 10 minutes, requires a philiips screwdriver and the long 10mm box spanner that's in the tool kit. There are 10 phillips screws to remove, and no clips.
Unless you've got arms and fingers like ET, it's almost impossible to reach the upper bolts (for adjusting the beam height) by reaching up under the front fairing. So..

1. Undo the two phillips screws and remove the thin front panel under the windscreen (that exposes the fuse boxes etc).
2. This allows you to undo two phillips screws (one each side) that fasten the very top of the front fairing onto the subframe, they are inside and above the turn signals.
3. Pull down the front rubber mats just one clip to expose and undo the two phillips screws (one each side) that hold the front fairing edges.
4. Open up the two small top glove boxes, and undo the two phillips screws (one each side) that hold the upper rear edge of the front fairing.
5. Remove the two phillips screws (one each side) that are behind the front wheel, either side of the radiator grille, that secure the front fairing. These get the weather a lot and may need easing.

You can then gently EASE the front fairing forward and down slightly, (complete with headlights attached etc.), just enough to enable you to squeeze your hand inside the gap below the windscreen and above the turn signals. Using the long 10mm box spanner, you can reach the beam adjustment screws - they turn very easily and are only friction tight.
The upper ones adjust the individual headlight heights - screw them out (anti-clockwise) to lower them and screw them in (clockwise) to raise the beam. Aiming mine at a wall 25 yards away, half a complete turn moved the beam vertically one foot up the wall. Ish.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Excellent information for a newbie owner. Thanks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks! Great info. :wink:

·
Registered
66 Posts
THANK YOU.
I hope i can manage to do it :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I wonder if there is any member who could reach (and of course adjust) the screws without removing all that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
In the AN400K7 , european model , it is more easy to adjust .
No "gain access to " is required
The two screws (8mm Hex head) are located behind each headlight and a little bit close to the center line , so you can easily reach it from the lower open section, just above the fwd wheel cover. Use a simple nut driver , short stem . Turn it CW (clockwise) - ( screw in ) lowers the light beam, while Counter CW moves the beam up.
Hope this helps.
Regards to All.

·
Registered
70 Posts
For all that it is worth, I managed to do it w/o removing the cover. Used a 10mm socket with small extension, was able to twist it by hand (wasn't room for my wrench). On the left side (as you face the bike), you might have to push a cable to get to it.

Mike
2003 Blue AN400

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
hdesertfox said:
Is this how you get to the headlights to change them?
No, you change them from behind the reflectors ... a pretty simple procedure and several discussion threads detailing the procedure. Simply use th search function to find the right threads. Cheers, ~ suziblu ~

1 - 10 of 10 Posts