Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And I can now understand why a dealer has to charge so much! Intake valves were .002....set them for .005; exhaust valves were both spot on .008 so they didn't need adj.
Biggest problems were figuring how to get the air box out...bolt in behind that you can hardly see, and the hose. Also never did get the trunk out to make it easier to get at the air box rear bolt and hose. Couldn't get it to release at the rear two bolts. Did manage to get it lifted up enough to do the job.
While I was there, I changed the rear gear oil....it was getting pretty dark. Put in synthetic.
Prob took me at least 4 or more hours...much of it fiddling around trying to figure how to get things off. Didn't have a manual. Adjusting the valves prob only took about 10-15 min. Rest of the time was looking for the right tool. Found out belatedly, that the tool in the tool kit to remove the spark plug, also has a 10mm deep socket which fits most all the bolts that have to come out.

·
Registered
793 Posts
ted,

Were you able to turn the flywheel by hand in order to reach TDC at
the removed cover on the other side of the bike?
Or did you look at the lobes?

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Couldn't find the TDC cover, so I used the pencil in the spark plug hole, and luckily I had a deep socket that fit the nut on the flywheel. Just kept turning it till I was sure it was TDC by feel, rechecked this a couple of times, and then did the adjustment. Rechecked again and all was well.

Funny thing tho, I had three of the smaller plastic plugins left over. Couldn't figure where they went! :lol:

·
Registered
30,278 Posts
ted clement said:
Funny thing tho, I had three of the smaller plastic plugins left over. Couldn't figure where they went! :lol:
One of my friends always said, "Real mechanics always have parts left over." :)

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bill, is "middle Tn" somewhere around Nashville? Thats beautiful country out there and must be good riding. Been thru Tn twice on Rt. 40, once to pick up an Ultralight kit in Memphis, and recently thru Nashville up to Ky to pick up an old Moto Guzzi I had bought.

Do you have any problem with your seat being uncomfortable? May just be the way I'm shaped, but didn't have any prob with my previous Honda Reflex.

·
Registered
30,278 Posts
Ted,

Nashvegas is right in Middle TN. I live dead south of Nashville and about 30 miles north of the AL state line. I work in Nashville and commute 84 miles each way. Rising gas prices and the cost of driving gave me the perfect excuse ... urrmm ... logical reason to buy the Burgman. Several years ago, I lived/worked over in your neck of the woods. Lived near Raleigh and then Atlantic Beach NC. Worked all over NC, SC, VA for a video game (arcade style) company. Lexington is at the junction of US 64 and US 52 isn't it? I'm about 10 miles north of US 64 and would love to take the scenic tour over your direction. US 64 (and surrounding roads) should be a blast thru the smokies.

As for the seat, I have found it to be a bit uncomfortable only for longer rides. I've caught myself leaning back a bit due to wind. Replacing the windshield should help. For now, I'm just paying more attention to how I sit and it helps some. Part of the problem may also be a slipped disc in my back. Get to go tommorow for a MRI to see. Funny thing, I've read where riding a bike can cause your back to hurt. Riding the Burgman is a lot less stressful than driving my Ford Ranger. 15 minutes in the truck and I'm hurting. 30 minutes on the Burgman is no problem. It's only when I put an hour+ on the Burgman that it really starts to bother me. I am giving serious consideration to removing the rider backrest or another seat mod that does not preclude carrying a passenger.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bill, being retired, one of my main reasons for getting the 400 was that I wanted to take some rides up thru the Blue Ridge and surrounding areas. Was seriously tempted to keep the Reflex but used the excuse that I NEEDED the extra power. And I do love the extra HP, and it handles te curves better as well, but that seat is giving me a fit. If I had my choice I would move the slope back a couple of inches, thus providing more pading directly underneat right bebore it starts the upslope. I Think thats the part that bothers me. I would also trim the foam down more towards the rear, perhaps making sort of a saddle out of it. I might just tackle that this wiinter.

Wonder if that plastic seat bottom can be fibreglassed? If so, I would cut that rear slope out some to better fit my butt, and glass it to suit to hold the foam that i would add. Just my thinking for now.

If you get the urge to do some riding, maybe we could link up out arround
Brevard NC. Theres a couple of other riders listed on this forum out that way....G-force in Brevard, and Ank57 in Waynesville. Maybe they will join us. Theres 2 in Charlotte area, one in Morganton, etc. Been trying to get some togather for lunch by putting notes on this forum to contact me but have had little response.

Or perhaps we could pick a couple of dates for a ride-in (one being a rain date) and plaster it all over this forum and we might get some other riders from NC, SC, Tn, WV, etc. I'm not into camping, but as long as theres a Motel somewhere I'm in business. Could use one of the many parks out that way, or even meet at a Suzuki dealer...if we can find one.
Just some thoughts........

Ted

·
Registered
30,278 Posts
Ted,

Sounds interesting. I think this topic needs to be moved to the Ralleys and Gatherings forum. I'm interested, but not for a while yet. A 7 hour ride is not something I can handle at this point. We'll see what the quacks ... urmmm ... doctors have to say in the next couple of weeks. :) I'm on medical leave right now. But the company paperpushers are a bit behind (as always). So I'm not being paid. I'm about as broke as a lightbulb ran over by a semi (then ... a tank, a fleet of cars, a biker gang, 4 bicycles, 2 kids on pogo sticks, and tricycle going in circles). I didn't list Burgman riders since they'd have more respect than to run over another riders lightbulb when he's down. :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts