Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts
Discussion starter · #22 ·
I've always used the original ones. Never seen anything wrong with them. They're probably the original ones from 03
There are a bunch of things like this recommended or even "required" in the shop manual that are not necessary but do serve to minimise service callbacks; which are both expensive and annoying to customer.

For DIY'ers like GK13 and myself the worst can happen is the filter cover weeps a bit and we'll put in a new O-ring--someday, when we get a chance...

-----------------------------------------------
From the "not really relevant but interesting nonetheless" department:

Burgman 400 Oil pressure specs:

• '03-'07: 80 to 160 kPa (11.6 to 23.2 psi);
  • '07+: 30 to 110 kPa (4.4 to 16 psi)

Have done the first inspection. This is a 2007- model, but this thread is closer to the point.

Zuki limits for the valves are:

0.004 - 0.008" for intake
0.008 - 0.012" for exhaust

Intakes are on the left limit - both pass 0.004" feeler blade with a slight drag, but don't let 0.005" in.

Exhausts are close to the lower verge too but more in discord - one passes 0.008", the other lets in as much as two blades 0.075" total, i.e. short 0.005 of lower boundary.

What you guys think, is it worth to hold it out till the next pit-stop, or an immediate adjustment is required?

If you are at or below the lower limit then you need to do the adjustment. If the valves go to tight you run the risk of burning them.

Is it enough to adjust just the one that is out, or all are better to be adjusted to the same clearance, like to the middle value in the acceptable range?

Since on your model 400 you will need to pull the cams to adjust the valves I would suggest you go ahead and reset all of them. These engines have a tendency for the clearance to close up over time. Yours have all closed up to or over the limit. If you just do the one you will be back in there in short order doing the others. On my 650 which has the same bucket and shim type adjusters as your 400 when I reset them I set them toward the high side of the clearance range. This gives more time before I have to do it again.

On my 400 with the screw type adjusters it is so easy to reset the clearance that I just set them to the center of the range every time I check them. But resetting the clearance on it takes minutes instead of the hour or more it takes on the 650 and would take on your 400.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.