Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fooling around with the Clearview the other day, I removed the shield and the bracket that holds the shield to the bike. Other members have addressed a way to adjust the shield by placing washers between the bracket and the bike and/or between the bracket and the shield - I wanted to check this out.

Anyway, I started to replace the bracket and put only the bottom 2 allen bolts in. Then, I noticed the bracket then becomes easily movable and the 2 bottom bolts act as a "hinge". I put the shield back on and played a bit and discovered that by moving the shield, the top of the shield rises a good inch or 2 when moved forward. It would be great if somehow this could be kept this way when you ride.

I tried to come up with some type of mechanism that would serve to both move the shield back and forth and also be able to "lock" at any point in between so the shield would be ajustable. I haven't been able to do that but I'm sure someone out there can.

I'm throwing this out so those of you with imagination might "play" with it too and come up with something.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Thanks for the challenge, Jersey. Now I'm not going to get ANY sleep!

Would you (or anyone) prefer the adjustment to be something you could do from the seat while riding? Or is it enough that it could be adjusted quckly from the front before any trip? Do you want it to make a cool sound when adjusting? An annoying squeek, perhaps? Wait.. maybe the shield could adjust itself based on who sits down on the bike... kinda like expensive cars have user settings for seats and mirrors and steering wheel, etc..

In any case, I'm sure there's got to be an engineer/inventor type here somewhere. Consider yourselves challenged!

Dave B.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For me, my preference would be something adjustable while riding. I'm thinking something like a piece of plastic in the shape of an oval that sits right above the "dash". As you turn the oval piece, the elongated shape pushes the shield further out. The oval piece would have a large knob on it so you could easily turn it with glove on.

I think the "pushing out" part is the easy portion. It could even be done with small wedges of different sizes that could be changed when you were stopped. The harder part is somehow securing the shield and bracket from flopping around since, to have a "hinge" effect, you will need to remove the top 2 allen bolts. I wouldn't be comfortable riding around with only 2 of the 4 bolts securing the bracket/shield onto the bike.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I'm just hoping that by the time I'm ready to trade in my '03 the Executive model will be available here: electric mirrors, electric windshield, and all.

·
Registered
969 Posts

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Steve -

Interesting idea on lowering the shield.

Now that the warmer weather is coming, I especially like the "more wind on the legs" part !

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
4DThinker

Tiny air shocks, KEWL!

Or, how about we convice the RAM MOUNT people to make a kit to hold up the shield. Then we could just loosen the mount, move the shield where we want it and tighten it back up!

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For an interesting video of an electric, adjustable shield for the Goldwing, take a look at

http://www.firecreekacc.com/index.html

Steve's adjustment bringing more wind under the shield seems to be a good idea since it would reduce the back pressure.

Apparently the PC group has "lobbied" the company to make a shield for the PC and a prototype is being tested. I wonder if there is enough interest here to ask the same for the B'Man ? Manual adjustable is $250 and electric is $370 - More than I'd spend but maybe others would.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Great video! Go specifically here: http://www.firecreekacc.com/windbender_video.htm

It looks like the shield rides on tracks, and a center linear motor moves it up and down. Anyone remember if the burgman's shield mounting holes are vertically aligned? They would need to be to mount a track directly to them. We'd also have to start with a fresh piece of plastic for a shield. the existing ones have odd perforatons in them that would not be used/covered in this application.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The Windbender solution looks like a fair solution. I'm not convinced it's ideal.

I'd been giving this notion some thought recently, too. I'd settled on something similar to the rail system, given that that's probably the easiest aftermarket solution to fabricate, and you need something to hold the shield steady. (Of course, the OEM shield isn't exactly the steadiest thing I've seen.)

However, I'm not sure the Windbender's strictly single-plane approach is ideal. I can't help but note that the 3 effective adjustable shield systems I've tried (and I'm pretty sure on at least 3 systems I haven't tried) adjust the top of the shield both out and up.

My thought was an arched rail system with a modified form of the current screen backing plate. Then, as the screen moved up, it would also move out. If the "wheels" in the rail were driven, the motor could be included in the moving assembly. Else, I've been pondering the process for moving the screen. It appears to me the Windbender folks are using something akin to a telescoping antenna.

Greg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts