Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have now had my Burgman 650 for 2 weeks and it is fantastic, except the screen is awful.
I have just fitted last years Larger screen option, but this is still far from ideal.

I run a company that makes bike parts (See website http://www.hamicad.co.uk )
I am a mechanical design engineer by trade but run my website part-time.
I don't make any real money, it just helps me to get the parts I want for my bikes! and I then sell extras to others who cannot find what they are looking for.
All the projects I have done to date have been made with a lot of input from members on different forums, this ends up with the members getting what they actually want!
My parts have been very well received by other forums.

Anyway, commercial over, I am looking into either manufacturing some blocks that will give the screen some adjustment vertical and also possibly tapering the block to alter the angle of the screen, or both!
Another idea I had was to make the screen fully adjustable in both vertical and also angle. I know it could be done, but depends on what the final thing will look like!
Does anybody have any ideas on moving the screen on the 650, what do you think is the optimum angle & height???
Personally I think the screen needs to be more vertical, but that is just my opinion, others might disagree.

So if anybody has any ideas for this project, I am all ears :)
Hopefully we will cure this niggling problem once & for all!

Andy

·
Super Moderator
8,078 Posts
We would be very interisted. I think the one problem depends on the speed you typically run at. 75 MPH requires a different setting than 60 MPH.
Another is the physical size of the rider.
If it could be made where to indivual could set it to their preference that might work.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Normsthename, I think you would find a lot of interest in an adjustable windshield.

These photos seem to be of an adaptation for tilting the screen a bit more on http://www.an650.de

http://www.an650.de/4images/categories.php?cat_id=10

It seems the Suzuki rain deflector is successful in doing what it is suposed to do, as shown in other photos on the same page.

Please, keep us posted on what you are able to create.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I had the new larger OEM Suzuki windshield put on my 2004 650 when I bought it. It is larger than the 2003 replacement but is still too short for me. It angles back pretty sharply and thus reduces it's height. I was thinking of some sort of shims to bring the screen to a more upwards angle. If you develop something let me know.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking of some sort of shims to bring the screen to a more upwards angle. If you develop something let me know.
I have just put some shims under the top screw on my 650, not had a chance to try it yet, but I would like to try and angle the screen forward.
Also I want to offer extra fixing positions so there is some upwards adjustment say 3/4" increments and 3 or 4 holes.
The block will also taper, and angle the screen a further 10° forward (just a guess, I need to experiment.)
Another option could be to offer different tapers???
E.G

Standard block just gives vertical adjustment and gives approx. 2 1/2" Upwards adjustment with 3/4" Increments.

10° Block angles screen forward and gives approx. 2 1/2" Upwards adjustment with 3/4" Increments.

20° Block angles screen forward and gives approx. 2 1/2" Upwards adjustment with 3/4" Increments.

These are just ideas I am throwing around, I stripped the screen off my 650 last night and I am pretty sure it is possible :)

Keep the ideas coming!

Andy

·
Super Moderator
8,078 Posts
Sounds like a good plan, I just might buy all 3 sets.
Keep the stock screen for Summer, and use the GIVI for Fall and Spring
and still be able to experiment with it

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Normsthename said:
Personally I think the screen needs to be more vertical, but that is just my opinion, others might disagree.

So if anybody has any ideas for this project, I am all ears :)
The problem you might find with going more vertical is that it would move the windscreen further away from the rider, possibly allowing the wind to collapse behind the screen and to buffet the rider more. I'd think that a vertical adjustment keeping the same angle, or even coming a tad closer to the rider, might prove more effective.

The other problem with the Burgman 650 screens, is the rubber nut mounting system that induces flex. (I suspect that the 400 uses the same system, but I don't know for sure.) I think that if you could devise a more rigid mounting system it would help considerably.

Experimentation is the key of course.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Paul, you might be surprised (alarmed) by the screen on the new DL's. I rode the 650, and while the windshield is twice the distance from the rider, as opposed to the Burgman, and half the size, it works twice as well. I think part of the reason may be that it's nearly perpendicular to the direction of travel. Makes a pretty big hole in the breeze. 8)

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
wasions said:
Paul, you might be surprised (alarmed) by the screen on the new DL's. I rode the 650, and while the windshield is twice the distance from the rider, as opposed to the Burgman, and half the size, it works twice as well. I think part of the reason may be that it's nearly perpendicular to the direction of travel. Makes a pretty big hole in the breeze. 8)
I've heard mixed feedback on that new DL screen. Works for some - doesn't for others. Same as any other windscreen I guess.

I'm actually not doing too bad after reinstalling the stock screen back on the AN650, so today I put the short stock screen back on the DL1000 too. We'll see - but that might end up being my summertime configuration.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have just put some shims under the top screw on my 650, not had a chance to try it yet,
I went out on the 650 tonight with the shims fitted, and I swear it was better!
It is not much, I need to get some longer bolts to try a thicker spacer.
The problem you might find with going more vertical is that it would move the windscreen further away from the rider, possibly allowing the wind to collapse behind the screen and to buffet the rider more. I'd think that a vertical adjustment keeping the same angle, or even coming a tad closer to the rider, might prove more effective.
I have had quite a few scooters over the years and some of them have had almost vertical screens, I know you would think the screen should go nearer the rider , but the opposite seems to work!
I think the air gets pushed higher up and over the rider.

The other problem with the Burgman 650 screens, is the rubber nut mounting system that induces flex. (I suspect that the 400 uses the same system, but I don't know for sure.) I think that if you could devise a more rigid mounting system it would help considerably.
With my idea, I will utilise the standard fitting complete with the rubber mounting so there should not be any problems.

I need to do a whole lot of more experimentation, watch this space!
Keep the ideas coming!

Andy

·
Registered
746 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Greg
I saw this post when doing a search thru' the site.
Did you have any luck with your design, what were the results?
I don't want to go down the same route as you if it did'nt work!

Andy

·
Registered
746 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Normsthename said:
I went out on the 650 tonight with the shims fitted, and I swear it was better!
I just put some shims on the top two bolts of the bracket that holds the shield on. Well, actually, they are left over hoses I had from the engine I changed in my Saturn last weekend. I merely sliced them into approximately 1/4" 'shims'. While I didn't get it out on the freeway, I did get small bursts to about 60mph, and I swear it was better too. Much better!! Will find out Monday when I hit the freeway! Scratch that... Make it Tuesday. I forgot my temporary plate is no good anymore, and we only got it half registered on Friday. (We're in one of those stupid states where you have to go to 923874092374 different buildings just to register your transportation. (Ok, it's only 2 buildings, but it's still a stupid setup.)

Ok, I meant to originally say that I am 6 feet tall, so the wind factor was killin' me! Hopefully this'll fix it without buying a new screen. I need the money for more important stuff... Like a stereo! 100 miles a day with the same song stuck in my head is startin' to make me loony!

I'll try and get some pictures of what I did today.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Hmmm... Kias made me think. And that is always dangerous...

I'll bet I could shim the stock windshield using some of those parts Clearview supplies that I never use.

I could leave the bottom two bolts installed the Suzuki way (with the rubber nuts passing through the holes in the windshield). Then mount the upper two the Clearview way, using the longer screws they supply and their plastic spacers through the upper two windshield holes. Add a couple of rubber washers between the rubber nut flanges and the windscreen for a bit more rake. Might work.

I'm not sure how much rake that would give, and how much it would lift airflow.

I'm also not sure if I'll try it or not. Right now the wind hits me right at the base of my helmet. If I lift airflow a couple of inches higher, it might actually induce helmet buffeting (which is not a problem right now).

·
Registered
209 Posts
Ok, took some pics of the hose I used as shims, and the installed shim. They're at http://rjsoap.com/photo/index.php?cat=13 and you'll find 'em down at the bottom under "Last Additions" You can continue to click on the pics until you get a super insane way too large poster size picture. The 1/4" shim seems to make a world of difference!

·
Super Moderator
8,078 Posts
Kais,

Great idea, I just did mine, except I just used garden hose washers.

It seemed to move the bug line up about 3/8" - 1/2".

I have a GIVI but it still is a little short for me. This will be an improvement.

I love simple fixes (cheap to) it may not be like buying a new taller Clearview but I'm sure it will help.

Thanks for the Idea.
Jim

1 - 18 of 18 Posts