Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride around with an extra gallon under the seat just in case...

I was wondering how difficult, or not, it would be to put a few gallons in there and run some type of line with a manual valve into the main tank?

It would be pretty nice to get low, flip a lever and toss a few more gallons down the pipe.

I know the iron butt guys and gals do this. Any ideas on how?

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Randy said:
Your still going to have to stop for gas no matter what you do....:(
.But if you really need extra miles (like an Iron Butt) then I guess it's worth all the extra trouble at fill up time. :)
Yup, but 150 miles is tight out in in the southwest... I've got legs in the desert where gas is 160-180 apart, so I have to carry an extra gallon container, stop and fill up.

Might be worth $100 or so and some engineering to have a 250 mile range.

Fillups would only involve popping the seat and filling both tanks if I wanted too.

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The tank is pretty much the same as the 400 I think, below the helmet trunk, so gravity feed should work.

The fuel cells have foam in them to prevent sloshing and such, and the weight shouldn't be an issue in there.

I may be able to run a hose into a fitting right into the filler neck, with a piece of hose down into the tank. This way I may be able to mount a small valve in the fuel door area. That way I could get to it at a quick stop and dump the fuel...

I'm going to pull some pieces off the Burgy next week and look at the feasibility, but it looks relatively straight-forward.

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wasions said:
Actually, our range is about par with most motorcycles, higher than a lot of them. Do you think we all want more range than average because our rides are more comfortable than the average?

Also, like most of you, I tend to get nervous when the gas gauge starts flashing, and fill up as soon as possible. Generally though, I have about a gallon left at that point - good for another easy 40 miles, or so.
Well, the smallest tank I've had is 4.5, most about 4.8-5.0 is the norm. Even that extra 1/2 gallon made a lot of difference. I have legs now I simply cannot make without pushing it. Add a little headwind and I'd run out without my extra gallon.

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
captainfish said:
what of the possibility of putting in a "T" in the fuel line? With the hose from the T going to the fuel cell or extra tank under the seat or in givi trunk?
I thought of that too.

I wondered though that since the aux tank would probably tend to drain first (being higher and all), would there be a point where air could be ingested into the fuel line???

I am not sure of the physics involved???

Anyone?

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Greg said:
Richard,

Fuel pumps are rarely, if ever, installed in gas tanks because of the risk of a spark, in the motor of the pump, causing an explosion in a partly empty tank.
I would hazard a guess that every car (EFI) has pumps in the tank ...

My Nissan, Mitsubishi, Hyundia all do ...

My Honda CB900 Hornet also had pump underside of the tank ...

Greg ...
You're right Greg...

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I found and article where the rider ran the vent line directly to the aux tank, and then ran a new vent line off the aux tank.

Stated you could sill the primary, put on the cap, fill the aux, and as long as the bottom of the aux tank was mid level or higher in relation to the primary, the vacuum would pull fuel...

Hmmmm... :?

· Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
captainfish said:
Hi Warren,
Did you have any luck fiddling around with any ideas on how or where to mount an Aux fuel cell?
Never got too it; I've been having some bad back problems and not riding, now I have some leg weakness: Gonna have to sell her after all... :cry:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.