Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
91 Posts
Extra Fuel

:shock: Please don't tap into the regular fuel line with fuel from a higher tank. :shock:

Notice that all motorcycles that have a high (between the knees) tank have a fuel shutoff valve. That is to stop the pressure in the feed tube, caused by the height of the tank, from forcing fuel into the carburator and flooding it. The same goes for FI equiped bikes, there is still a throttle body that can be flooded.

You would need to add a fuel shutoff valve from your fuel bladder and an antisiphon valve to prevent drawing air from the bladder when it is empty.

When I think of all the possibilities for error :cry: , remember that gasoline is a very dangerous liquid if not handled with great care, I think carrying an extra gallon in a good quality, properly rated container is a lot safer unless you are or know well a fuel system trained engineer.

The only reason there aren't more gasoline disasters is that engineers have had over a hundred years to learn what not to do. :roll:

If you need more extra fuel than that buy a container in Canada that holds an imperial gallon or 5 litres. :)

Richard

· Registered
91 Posts
You are quite correct that FI (Fuel Injection) has changed a great number of things and a fuel shutoff may not be necessary because the injectors are only open when the computer opens them so flooding is less likely. Note I said less likely not impossible.

Injectors wear with time and after a while they can begin to leak when under pressure. In a car, that's all the time the motor is running due to the fuel pump running. In that case they cause rough running and poor acceleration and spark plug fouling due to the rich mixture caused by the injectors leaking.

In a bike with a high tank, there is no fuel pump just height to create fuel pressure. I suspect, but don't know for sure, that the Burgamn's have a fuel pump, so you have pressure when the engine is running. However, the system is not designed to have pressure when the engine is not running. Add ing extra pressure from a high tank may cause sever problems over time. :(

I'm not an expert, and I suspect that even Suzuki's experts would take a long time to figure out whether or not this would cause problems. :?

Just remember that the last thing you want is fuel going where it isn't wanted at any time. That leads to fires and explosions. :shock:

Richard

· Registered
91 Posts
Extra Fuel

Does the V-STROM have a gas gauge? If it does, I suspect those wires are for the gauge, not the fuel pump.

Fuel pumps are rarely, if ever, installed in gas tanks because of the risk of a spark, in the motor of the pump, causing an explosion in a partly empty tank.

There are two types of fuel pumps you have to be concerned about. The first type is engine driven and usually of very low pressure. Pressure behind the pump can be passed right thru the pump. The second kind, usually used by FI in cars but I don't know about bikes, is electric and usually much higher pressure. I would venture that the V-Strom uses an electric since you can hear it wind up.

In either case, when new, pressure behind the pump is not a problem. The problem comes when everything including the pump ages. Then you get flooding.

Richard

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.