Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
5,055 Posts
The use something called a fuel cell. I know one guy had one hooked up to a Honda Helix scooter for an Ironbutt adventure. They aren't pretty from the pictures I've seen... but it could be mounted on a rear rack or somewhere like that.

You can see some examples here:
http://www.sampson-sporttouring.com/fuel-cells.html

· Registered
5,055 Posts
Re: Extra Fuel

Richard said:
Notice that all motorcycles that have a high (between the knees) tank have a fuel shutoff valve. That is to stop the pressure in the feed tube, caused by the height of the tank, from forcing fuel into the carburator and flooding it. The same goes for FI equiped bikes, there is still a throttle body that can be flooded.
All my carbuerated motorcycles did have a manual shutoff valve. My '03 V-Strom is fuel injected, still has the high gas tank, but does not have this manual valve. It may have an automatic valve that the fuel pump defeats by sucking or pushing gas through it under pressure - I'd bet whatever it uses works just like whatever the scooter uses - possibly from the same parts bin.

Other than that, I'm not disputing anything in your post. But FI technology has changed the way high tank motorcycles work - as well as low tank motorcycles & scooters.

And I sorely miss that manual valve, which also had a "Reserve" position. Dead accurate - unlike any motorcycle or scooter gas gauge I've seen yet.

· Registered
5,055 Posts
Richard,

Both the Burgman and the V-Strom have fuel pumps. The high tank on the V-Strom is no longer a gravity feed, even though the tank is in the traditional location. It is a pressurized feed driven by the fuel pump, very similar to - possibly identical to the Burgman. On the V-Strom you can clearly hear the fuel pump whine as it builds pressure the moment you turn on the key. I think the fuel pump is located within the tank. There is an electrical connector on the underside of the tank that must be disconnected before removing the tank. The gas line has a push fit connector with a release collar. My understanding is that about a teaspoonful of gas leaks out when you remove the gas line - which would indicate an automatic valve of some sort. The reason I looked into this, is that on the V-Strom you have to remove the darn gas tank to access the air filter! I had wanted to check the condition of my air filter. After reading the procedure in the service manual I decided it was too much effort to do so. I'll have the dealer do it next service.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.