Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the owner of a house at the end of 20 km of twisty west coast highway (oh the agony... :wink: ), I have installed a set of Piaa driving lights in my car. Riding my new svelte home, I was generally disappointed in the amount of useful illumination that was being projected by the stock headlights. I noticed that some 650 riders had installed extra lighting (there was another silver 650 with lights, but I can't find it in the gallery now). I wondered if the extra bulbs and watts had worked as designed, or ended up as show only.

Simon

PS. Any reviews out there of the effectiveness of deer whistles?

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I added lights to some of my bikes in the past and most good sets will help If they are aimed right.
Just mounting them and pointing straight does not always help, you need to get light off to the sides but with some lights it "looks" funny to mount them pointing left & right of center .
I feel so sorry for you having to drive that "20 km of twisty west coast highway " :wink:

·
Registered
13,278 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
The set of lights I have installed on my finder does not really give off more light and will not help you with what you are looking to achieve there are not bright, I have found that the stock light does a good job especially the high beam but I will be installing a signal fog light on the top of the finder that will be much brighter that the stock lights. My reason for adding the extra light was so that on coming traffic will see me better at night as with the front turn signal that are also now running light and for style or course.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Deer whistles

Thanks everyone for welcoming us to the forum. I have run deer whistles on my bikes for the last 10 years or more. It has been my experience that deer standing near the road will seem to throw up their heads when you get within an 1/4 to 1/8 mile from them at highway speeds and run away from the road. I have also seen coyotes out in the fields do the same thing whereas if a normal car went by they wouldn't pay any attention to it. I ride a BMW and a Goldwing so its not a loud exhaust that they are hearing, it has to be the deer whistles. This has been my experience only, as I to have heard the horror stories. Hope this will help you out.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Where did you get the Deer Whistles? Do you have pictures of them installed? Can you post the pictures, please.

Janine

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I knew a guy who had deer whistles on his Gold Wing. He was very proud of them. One day he rounded a curve - and the next thing he was concious of was a trooper looking down at him and asking him what he wanted to do with the deer! :shock:

They don't always work. I've heard discussions at motorcycle seminars that seriously question the benefits of using them. It's kind of like the oil thing - a lot of different opinions. But I know of one other gentleman who had them on his BMW motorcycle - and collided with a deer. So that is two cases that I personally know of where they were not effective.

Use them if you like - they may help sometimes. But don't be overly confident that they will protect you from the critters.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts