Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know if it is possible to add an aftermarket ABS braking system to a 2005 AN650?

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Must be possible because the exec has it but it will cost! In fact it may be easier and more cost effective to trade up to a new Exec when they become available in the US?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is what I figured. Since the exec has it stock, someone must have an aftermarket kit. Oh well.....

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I have mused on this before, knowing that designers will use off the shelf parts whenever possible, I've been thinking that the parts necessary should be available here in the states, used on another model, probably one of the sport bikes, like the GSXR-1000 for instance.

Now the trick is to identify & obtain the necessary parts for the retrofit. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar enough with motorcycles in general to be able to pursue this train of thought any further. I'm thinking the controller, sensors, & master cylinders would be all that is required to make the change.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Great plan, except the GSX-R1000 doesn't have abs..... :lol:

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Just an example of what type of bike I was talking about Jim, as I said, I don't know much about motorcycles, hell, I'm just starting to learn about scooters. I'm hoping someone who does know motorcycles (like yourself), Suzukis in particular, will step up & help out with idea.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
min2

This topic has been discussed on the Goldwing sites.

One of the Goldwing gurus calculated it would take roughly $2000 to secure the aftermarket parts and then the hassle of trying to install. The $1000 premium for ABS on a wing looked more reasonable after that

Bill

·
Registered
42 Posts
I would be interested in ABS on my 650. I do not think the executive is going to be sold in the USA. It would probably be more expensive to trade my '05 to get an Executive than it would be to mod my '05. Hope the parts become available and not too expensive.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Have you ever priced Burgman parts? Expect them to be horribly expensive, it they can even be obtained.

·
Registered
611 Posts
The only part that I thought was too high was the seat, because you can get a Corbin for less. The thing is though - the stock seat weighs less, has more space under it, has a front to back adjustable seat hump, and comes with the light that has to be transferred to the Corbin. So I guess it might not be such an unreasonable price... The more Burgmans get sold, and the more parts are bought for them, the cheaper the parts will be (and the higher the chance of finding them in stock).

Buying the parts new and fitting them to your bike should be possible - but it would be a lot of work, and I think it would be cheaper to go the trade in route when it becomes available here (or in Canada). I brought non-US spec motorcycles back with me from the Republic of Panama when I moved back to Texas, and getting parts proved to be difficult and expensive. I had to call up a friend in Panama and have him get the parts and ship them to me..

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Replacement parts are expensive because they are a source of revenue for the dealer and factory. Captive audience.
Look at things that are heavily mass produced, like appliances, which are so common their parts should be dirt cheap.
I once had to pay $75 (or maybe more) for a timer for an electric dryer that I paid less than $300 for. That's about one fourth of the cost of the whole dryer. And for a part that maybe makes up a couple percent of the purchase price.
As long as the only supplier of Burgman parts is Suzuki, they can pretty much charge what they want. And having competition in the aftermarket probably has a pretty small impact. Dealer branded new car parts are expensive, and if you count how many parts are used across different vehicle models and companies, they are produced in high volume.
The cost savings isn't passed onto the consumer, it's retained by the factory and dealers.
It would be an interesting thing to price out a new Burgman by what you'd have to pay for the parts thru a dealer.
Frame alone costs just under $1000. I think the CVT unit alone is over $1000. I don't even want to guess what it would cost for the engine.
With just these three things, I bet we'd be close to the price of a brand new scooter.
I bet you'd easily exceed $20,000 if you pieced it all out.
And that's just for parts. Add another $100 per hour for labor to assemble the parts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts