Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to add a rear light to the rear of the 400. I like tying these into the license plate circuit, since it is not critical. I just used a simple splice with heat shrink tubing to run the light in parallel with the existing light.

I chose the LED light available at Walmart for about $8.00 USD.

In the picture it looks like it covers the existing reflector, but actually it is visible from a normal distance. My placement was to mimic the triangle of light that seems to be prevalent on most vehicles from the rear. The recess on the 400 is perfect for attaching the light. For now I have used 3M double stick outdoor tape. First time I have used this stuff, so time will tell.

Just something to do in the garage on a warm 40 F day in Indy.

Merry Christmas all.

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,731 Posts
Almost like a factory install. How nice. :D

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Is that a strobe LED.............???????????

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I decided to add a rear light to the rear of the 400. I like tying these into the license plate circuit, since it is not critical. I just used a simple splice with heat shrink tubing to run the light in parallel with the existing light.

I chose the LED light available at Walmart for about $8.00 USD.

In the picture it looks like it covers the existing reflector, but actually it is visible from a normal distance. My placement was to mimic the triangle of light that seems to be prevalent on most vehicles from the rear. The recess on the 400 is perfect for attaching the light. For now I have used 3M double stick outdoor tape. First time I have used this stuff, so time will tell.

Just something to do in the garage on a warm 40 F day in Indy.

Merry Christmas all.
I installed 2 TOMAR LED strobe brake lights on the trunk of my Goldwing...amber..............and with a changeable flash pattern too

Attachments

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Merry Christmas all.
Can we get a picture with it lit up? Looks good btw.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Some more pictures, and explanation.

Good morning riders,

The light is not a strobe, just a cheap but bright two LED. One thing I don't like it is designed to screw into the sheet metal of a vehicle, dumb, so I solder a short wire to a ground on the light board and tap that into my bikes ground wiring. There are definitely better lights out there, but I have used this in the past and it is durable.

I attached a picture of the Tupperware removal, for those who haven't done if before. It simply pulls away from the bike, but the clasps can be tight.

Attachments

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Overall the brightness of the add on is about the same as the existing running lights, so the balance is good.

You can see the brown wire which is positive, and the black with white stripe wire which is negative that I tapped to power the new light. They come out of the license plate housing.

Cheers,
Tim

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Regarding strobes, I have a GMax modular coming from Mrs. Christmas and it has a built in rear strobe with three modes.

Solid on, slow strobe, and fast strobe. I intend to use it for visibility during the dark Winter months to come. It is white and seems well constructed (she let me try it on before it was gift wrapped).

:p

·
Registered
341 Posts
i found this inexpensive, universal fit top box on Ebay for about $36 + shipping. It has turn signals and a brake light that is constantly flashing until you hit the brakes -then it lights all the leds at once- or off until you hit the brakes. I like it because it's up high.
I couldn't afford the Givi or Bestem so I got what I could afford!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Looks like you got a great top box for very few dollars - Merry Christmas!

Overall the brightness of the add on is about the same as the existing running lights, so the balance is good.
Tim
Some people don't understand balance. I was riding with a local scooter group and one guy had a 3rd brake light which was so intense it was absolutely epilepsy-inducing. I didn't say anything, since it probably makes him feel safe, but I quickly figured out how to not be behind him.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Without naming names I bet I know who it was. Did he like to ride toward the back of the group and was it a SilverWing ? I missed meeting you the night you road with group as I had an early Dr. appointment the next day. I show up for all but one meeting every month, but I don't always go for the ride.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
No, not a Silverwing. Thursdays are tough for me, but I'll be back whenever the kids are too busy to play with the old man on Thursday night.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Some people don't understand balance. I was riding with a local scooter group and one guy had a 3rd brake light which was so intense it was absolutely epilepsy-inducing. I didn't say anything, since it probably makes him feel safe, but I quickly figured out how to not be behind him.[/QUOTE]

It might have been me. I rode with the annual Scooter Trash club ride out of St Pete last year. I have one of those stop lights. The light replaces the reflector below the licence plate. It looks like a factory installation.The reason I installed it was because of a video I saw on the internet showing a rider being rear ended on a Los Angeles Freeway. It was taken from an overpass. He was hit so hard he went over the car in front of him and landed on the hood. The light is intended to get your attention. It really does. It can be seen from a long distance even in broad daylight. I can understand your feelings but I would rather hurt your feelings then get rear ended and land in the hospital. If any one would like more information regarding this light please send me a private message.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Marv, I believe ChipDoc was referring to a Thursday night ride. I kind of feel that way about modulating headlights, I kinda dislike them coming toward me but I plan on putting them on my scooter. They definitely get the attention of other drivers and the fact that they only work in daylight means they don't blind oncoming drivers. Anything that gets attention of the cars around you has to help to not get run over.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Yes, it was Thursday 12/12 - easy to remember because it's my brother's birthday. I solved my problem by simply taking another place in line so the light wasn't flashing in my eyes. They certainly got my attention though, which is why I didn't gripe about it - attention from other drivers is the name of the game here.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Regarding modulating headlights

Marv, I believe ChipDoc was referring to a Thursday night ride. I kind of feel that way about modulating headlights, I kinda dislike them coming toward me but I plan on putting them on my scooter. They definitely get the attention of other drivers and the fact that they only work in daylight means they don't blind oncoming drivers. Anything that gets attention of the cars around you has to help to not get run over.
I have them too. They saved me from a potential accident at least three times that I am aware of. I was riding down a city street with a car at a stop sign to my right looking right at me as he was just starting to move toward the intersection. all of a sudden the car lurches to a fast stop.

Many years ago I lived in Southern California. On highway 101 going North near Thousand Oaks there is a very long down hill area with a stop sign at the bottom of the intersection. Being on 101 I had the right of way. I wish they had modulating headlight back then. I was commuting to work and still remember that corner. While riding at 65 I could never had stopped in time if I had to.

If any members live in that area could you please tell me if they ever added a stoplight at that corner.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Here's my lighting project.
LED's from Oznium.com
(Flexible strips)

Walmart red LED lights beside the license plate. Wired to the brake light OR to running lights, I have a SPDT switch hidden in the luggage compartment, in case you want more lights while riding OR want more brake lights.

Mounted on a scrap aluminum license plate behind the Burgman plate.

All wires go to a Radio Shack terminal strip behind the rear Tupperware. For easy hook-up and avoids cutting and crimping if you want to change things.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
looks good, I might have used red reflective tape everywhere, but you did a nice layout.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
If any members live in that area could you please tell me if they ever added a stoplight at that corner.
If you could be a little more specific, I could find it and take a photo for you. I ride in that area often. but Thousand Oaks has a lot of hills. Perhaps an intersection, off ramp, street name...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts