Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay. I've gone over old posts. Everyone has an opinion on synthetic lubricants. Is anyone actually using synthetic oil? Is any one actually using synthetic in the tranny? Is anyone using synthetic in the final drive?
I wanna go Mobil 1 or Castrol Syntec because they have done such great service over the years in my autos and in my (late) Goldwing. Input please? :?

·
Super Moderator
18,089 Posts
I just changed over to all synthetics (Mobil 1) @ 7,200 miles in my 650.
I only have about 500 miles on since then but I can tell the engine and Trans feels free'er. The rear end I did @ 3,000 miles. The engine seems to work less hard using them.
I got sold on synthetics when I changed the manual trans in my Nissan Truck @ 95,000 miles. What a difference shifting, so then I did the rear end, it rolls better now. I did change the trans oil @ 50,000 earlier. In colder weather the drive train acts like it's summer.

My son has used nothing but synthetics in his cars, and puts on about 150,000 every 3 years. I think he is running Mobil 1 in his GSXR 600 for the last 5,000 miles or so with no problems.

Time will tell, but I haven't really heard anything negitive about it yet. Except my neighbor, who has a Goldwing. He went back to conventional oil because his tranny was noiser using synthetics. I don't have that problem so I I'll try it for the long term.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I'm using mobil 1 mx4t in the engine and transmission. Can't notice a difference. Probably due to auto shifting. I've used the same oil in my Venture and Bandit. Noticed a huge diference in the shifting. According to all tests, the mobil 1 retains its viscocity longer than most others. I'll continue to use it in the 650

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
And being a long time Amsoil fan, I switched to Amsoil's 10-40 motorcycle oil at 2000 miles in my 400...same for the gear oil. Just changed oil and filter yesterday at 6200 miles and theres been no consumption of oil. I use it mainly because I "believe" its a superior oil and $4.85 a quart doesn't bother me. I used to use Mobil 1 but I think Amsoil is better quality. No, I'm not an Amsoil salesman.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I am using Castrol Syntec 20 w 50.
It gets hot in south Texas and I just feel better having a 20 w 50 though-out the bike. :)

·
Registered
368 Posts
I'm using broken bits of glass, sand and other particles in a mixture of WD 40 and it feels smoother, my wife says I look younger and I got a raise at work.

Actually I just use plain old oil and change per mfg spec.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I'm using a mix of castor oil and vegetable oil, with brocolli mixed in, and its working great.
the girls say i'm the slipperest guy they've ever known. and I'm rich in iron.

as for the bike.....Castrol
been in all my cars since I've been driving...never let me down.

·
Registered
466 Posts

Short answer to a long question: 1. Use the grade and specification of oil as recommended in your owners manual. 2. There is no question that pure synthetics are the better lubricant. (My only exception is pure castor for high temperture resistance).

Thanx
Russ

P.S. That should get the thread rolling!

·
Registered
793 Posts
But Russ,
Why use an expensive high temperature oil when our Burgman's are so well cooled?
The book says that we can install a cooler spark plug too.

Riding my 400 in 118F degrees with 3 percent humidity last July and still, I kept the temp gauge midway without different oil or plug.

---
At 2,400 miles:
10-40 all the way and no synthetic until I see a clean oil filter free of visible particles.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Have been using Rotella T since the second oil and tranny change at 4000 miles. (Angel has 18,000 miles on the scooter not). The 3rd change was at 15,000 miles, and the oil was still clean at that change. I plan 8-12 K miles between changes.

Rotalla T sells for about $12.50 at WallyWorld.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts