Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A straight question for paint experts : (no "maybe, perhaps, only if, try it and see, I believe so, etc):

I have a bit of UV varnish to remove from my bike. Will rubbing with pure acetone affect the Burgman paint finish?

·
Administrator
18,749 Posts
The ABS plastic is soluble in Acetone and the paint is also given time. Wiping with a damp rag in acetone may or may not hurt. I would try it on a part that can not be seen, or on another chaps bike. :twisted:

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
No acetone whatsoever -- even a smallest amount can remove the clearcoat instantly. There're so many paint refreshers on the market, don't know where the problem is.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No acetone whatsoever -- even a smallest amount can remove the clearcoat instantly. There're so many paint refreshers on the market, don't know where the problem is.
The problem is that I need to remove some ink-jet UV Varnish overspray. What "paint refresher" do I use? Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
255 Posts
3M Finesse It will take off the overspray. It is a super fine polish I use to smooth clear coats. I have used it on face shields and windshields as well. Just takes some rubbing on your part to clean the area up.

Greg

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
3M Finesse It will take off the overspray. It is a super fine polish I use to smooth clear coats. I have used it on face shields and windshields as well. Just takes some rubbing on your part to clean the area up.

Greg
Beat me to it! I was going to say polishing compound or glaze, which Finesse is 3M's best. Make sure you use it in swirling motion for best results and less smearing. Use a very soft cotton cloth or a polishing buff.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Any good anti-tarnish stuff will do the job. Little point in starting another religious thread :p

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 3M Finesse is around £30 over here. - far too much for my little job. I guess i'll have to look elsewhere. Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
243 Posts
It sounds crazy, but try lightly rubbing with toothpaste. It is mildly abrasive and should help without hurting. Don't let it completely dry while rubbing.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Even a cheap auto cleaner wax may remove the ink, especially cheap wax... Almost all cheap waxes contain mild abrasives, along with petroleum distillates.
Higher end waxes often contain no cleaners, expecting you to have the paint surface in perfect condition before applying. (For the most part, if it is available in a regular auto parts store, it falls into the cheap category.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts