Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Westbound Highway 24 at the 12th St interchange here in Oakland. Exiting traffic was backed up onto the highway in both lanes 4 (mandatory exit) and 3 (optional exit). I was in lane 2, and in anticipation of some idiot driver pulling into my lane, I slowed way down to 30 from 65 as I passed. I was gifted that idiot driver today.

She was in lane 3 and decided she didn't want to wait in the stopped traffic any longer. She took a sudden turn into my lane from a stop, and I smacked into her driver side quarter-panel.

Thank god that I ride a scooter and my legs are tucked behind a fairing. That meant the ride absorbed the impact and not my right leg. My armored jacket took the brunt of the slide. My old riding pants took the rest, but not enough to prevent a small amount of road rash on my knee and hip, and a tweaked toe. I'd like to think my many years of caution, and wearing reasonable safety gear, allowed me to ride home.

The bike? Beat up, but seems mostly cosmetic-ish. Front brake doesn't feel right. We'll see. Hard to look at my beautiful red scooter now, but she did give up her good looks to protect me.

I've been seriously considering a temporary retirement from riding the last year - in favor of reducing risk while my kids are still in school - so this was just the kick in the pants (toes/knees/hip/elbox/ankle) I needed.

Be careful out there and ride with your gear! You may be next...

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
Luxmatic,

Glad you are okay and she didn't kill you. Know how you must feel after seeing your Burgman beat up--hope she has insurance and your bike gets fixed soon. I suppose her pat answer was: "I didn't see you."

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Luxmatic,

Glad you are okay and she didn't kill you. Know how you must feel after seeing your Burgman beat up--hope she has insurance and your bike gets fixed soon. I suppose her pat answer was: "I didn't see you."
Thanks...

She told the CHP that she had seen me but thought she had time to pull into my lane. She was really upset. Crying. Profuse apologies. I've a feeling she was more traumatized than I was.

I'd hate to think what would have happened if I didn't slow down in anticipation of that exact scenario. I've no idea how far I slid, but I don't think it was more than 20 feet. Was over in a flash.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Glad your okay but tomorrow you maybe feeling the impact with the ground. That's what happen to me when I was rear ended on my 400 a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Glad it ended relatively well, thou i can see your frustration in the avatar

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Could happen to any of us at any time. Glad you're OK. With insurance, you should be OK financially, too.

If she is found 100% at fault (as it appears she has already admitted), her insurance company will make a settlement offer above replace and repair. Have records of your damaged items (helmet, clothing, sunglasses, etc), any hours missed at work, family activities, covered and out-of-pocket medical expenses. My wife was in a similar accident, and the other driver's insurance company paid a fair, good-faith pain & suffering amount (with no bogus injuries claimed or threats of a lawsuit).

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Good to hear you came out of it relatively unscathed. Sorry about the damage to the bike.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Westbound Highway 24 at the 12th St interchange here in Oakland. Exiting traffic was backed up onto the highway in both lanes 4 (mandatory exit) and 3 (optional exit). I was in lane 2, and in anticipation of some idiot driver pulling into my lane, I slowed way down to 30 from 65 as I passed. I was gifted that idiot driver today.

She was in lane 3 and decided she didn't want to wait in the stopped traffic any longer. She took a sudden turn into my lane from a stop, and I smacked into her driver side quarter-panel.

Thank god that I ride a scooter and my legs are tucked behind a fairing. That meant the ride absorbed the impact and not my right leg. My armored jacket took the brunt of the slide. Snipped...
Glad to hear you are OK.
Just a thought if you had not slowed down she would have pulled out into someone else's path. ;)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Glad you're ok. It's something we all look for but no matter, when it comes there's no avoiding. Good thing you're ATGATT.

(I need riding pants)

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Glad your okay but tomorrow you maybe feeling the impact with the ground. That's what happen to me when I was rear ended on my 400 a couple of years ago.
I was rear ended last July. You will be sore for a couple of days at least.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Happy to read Luxmatic OK, that most important thing, be careful out on road everyone.

ATGATT !

·
Registered
735 Posts
Scores of idiots tried to maim me on those despicable Oakland freeways Saturday night (2nd day of my 1,040 miles from home to San Jose). Lardy and I escaped them all thank God. Happy to hear that you're OK too.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I had a bump at 80 one time. Lucky I saw her coming and had hit the brakes beforehand. Just clipped me with the back end of he car. No damage and I didn't go down, but scary as sh.t. **** drivers.

So glad you're okay. I do hope you don't give up riding because of this dumb b.tch. It could happen to any of us. Sounds like you're a good, safe rider.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Glad your ok. Your intuition was correct...

·
Registered
154 Posts
You should have gone to the doc to have a check up. Sometimes after an accident with all the adrenaline and all you might miss some damage to yourself.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Good man my brother, so glad you are ok.. You can get her fixed up some.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
You should have gone to the doc to have a check up. Sometimes after an accident with all the adrenaline and all you might miss some damage to yourself.
Yes take it easy, get checked out.

I had a friend who got hit on his scoot, he felt fine. Later that night he passed out and hit his head on the way down. He had a concussion he didn't know about. The fall did worse damage than the accident.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
You See ,Scooters are Much Safer then Motorcycles , With scooters your Legs are Protected, On most Motorcycles, Sports bikes your Legs are Exposed to Danger!

Front brakes are not Right you Say!! Well the Brake Line for the Front is On that Side Some of the Tupaware May have Hit the Brake Line!!

Glad your OK!! i face that fear everyday.

"NROTSOV"

Never Ride On The Side of Vehicles is my model.

Elliott,

·
Registered
256 Posts
You See ,Scooters are Much Safer then Motorcycles , With scooters your Legs are Protected, On most Motorcycles, Sports bikes your Legs are Exposed to Danger!

Front brakes are not Right you Say!! Well the Brake Line for the Front is On that Side Some of the Tupaware May have Hit the Brake Line!!

Glad your OK!! i face that fear everyday.

"NROTSOV"

Never Ride On The Side of Vehicles is my model.

Elliott,
I think you're absolutely right, Elliott. That's excellent advice. I ride with the mindset that EVERYONE is out to kill me!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts