Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am probalby the newest owner of a brand new '05 400. I just bought it last night and it will be delivered to my home this morning.
I am quite excited as this is the first time ever I have owned a motorcycle, I am planning to take the MSC (motorcycle safety course) so I can get a better insurance rate and some basic skills knowledge.
I read on one of the forums ( i believe from Neck) that he has installed several accessories.
I am curious of a few things:
O-ring cruise control; how much does it cost, is it easy to install or should i get a dealer to do it? how well does it work?

Sylvania Silverstar headlamps; Are this high performance lights? or better quality? do they last longer?

Headlight modulator; what exactly is it ? how does it work? how much does it cost?

Tail light flasher; what is the advantage of having one ? how does it work? how much does it cost?

Horn replacement; Is it recommended to install a new horn ? is it louder ?
how much does it cost?
and last but not least...
Scorpio I 500 alarm; is it easy to install ? how much does it cost ? does it have remote notification ( does it send a signal to a beeper or keychain controller) when being tampered ? is it a perimeter-motion sensored alarmed?
One last thing, while braking it in What is the recommended maximun speed I should drive it at ?

Thanks in advance for all responses to my questions I am a complete rookie to this sport and I look forward sharing more info through this forums...

marcello

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
o-ring cruise control: http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3310&highlight=oring and http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5596&highlight=oring

Silverstars: http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7628&highlight=silverstar

A headlight modulator adds a strobe-effect to your headlights (high beams or low beams) and makes you more visible. I'll let others answer where they got theirs since I do not have one.

Tail flasher makes you more visible to cars approaching your rear. Some strobe the brake light or running light and there are others that use a mercury switch to detect you slowing down (engine braking) and light as you decelerate (need to be set properly to operate correctly). prices vary depending on which type you buy and who made it.

Some do not like the sound of the horn and some do not believe others can hear the horn. there are several threads on horn replacement. You just need to click "search" and type in horn or whatever you are interested in. :)

·
Registered
806 Posts
I would highly recommend going to the top of the page between FAQ and Memberlist and using the search function. These subjects have been discussed at length and I think that searching is a good start.

If you don't see the answer that you are looking for, by all means, we'll give it a go.

Welcome to the forum. Good luck with the 400.

·
Registered
48 Posts
machabe said:
I am probalby the newest owner of a brand new '05 400. I just bought it last night and it will be delivered to my home this morning.
I am quite excited as this is the first time ever I have owned a motorcycle, I am planning to take the MSC (motorcycle safety course) so I can get a better insurance rate and some basic skills knowledge.

Please do! You will get information that may well keep you alive. I've known experienced riders who got something from taking this class. I'm a better driver, whether bike, car or truck because I took it. I had no motorcycle and no motorcycle experience when I took it. I was astonished at how little I knew.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Welcome!

I've had my 05 400 for about 5 weeks (1300 miles) and love it.

So far, I've added the luggage rack, blinker beeper, Givi windshield and Sylvania 9003 XV 60/55 headlight bulbs (Same as H4).

Just did the bulbs today. I bought a pair for $20 at Pep Boys - ver ybright!

It was my first time doing the bulbs, so I took the front leg shield off so I could see what I was doing - there is really no need to if you can figure out the clip by feel. I could do both again in a couple of minutes.

I am selling my comagination headlight modulator - never installed it and think I will run with the brighter headlights for a while. If you are interested, make an offer. Model: Dual H4 bulbs; 20 amps max; all bulbs 120 watts or less; model AioDR20H4 H4 x 2

Travis

·
Registered
311 Posts
"O-ring cruise control"
Since you stated that you are new to motorcycles, do one very important thing--RIDE IT 5000 MILES OR 6 MONTHS FIRST !!!!!
Yes, I used all caps--in your best interest. I wouldn't tell a friend who is very tired driving home at night on wet pavement in an unfamiliar rent a car to use cruise control either. Learn your bike, it's limitations, your riding experience, until you feel very comfortable with the machine. Then research the O-ring.
We all want you to enjoy riding---safely

Alan

·
Registered
193 Posts
Selias said:
Some do not like the sound of the horn and some do not believe others can hear the horn. there are several threads on horn replacement. You just need to click "search" and type in horn or whatever you are interested in. :)
It really has nothing to do with the motorists not hearing the horn... the really just ignore it. Although not a solution to the problem... a longer middle finger has the same effect as a louder horn

·
Registered
619 Posts
Alan said:
RIDE IT 5000 MILES OR 6 MONTHS FIRST !!!!!
Alan
I would tend to agree with Alan - don't think about this stuff 'till you get some miles on it (I would say maybe 2,000 miles might be enough, not necessarily 5,000).

Your primary concern initially should be learning how to ride safely with the scooter as it is - getting a feel for the ride, that kind of stuff. The fancy doodads can come later (and there's lots of fancy doodads to be gotten <g>).

Get all your safety gear first - helmet, jacket, boots, gloves. Become proficient.

Just my thoughts.

- Tom

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
timnizza said:
Selias said:
It really has nothing to do with the motorists not hearing the horn... the really just ignore it. Although not a solution to the problem... a longer middle finger has the same effect as a louder horn
I disagree. A loud horn is ambiguous. It could be rude or it could be just a loud warning alerting another vehicle.

The middle finger salute is unambiguous. It's clearly aggressive and could easily provoke counter-aggression.

If you are on two wheels and the other guy is on 4, you lose!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts