Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I recently purchased a 2007 burgman 400 and I'm really enjoying it but here's my question: Why am I only getting 46-48 mpg:confused: The bike only has a little over 9,000 miles on it. I don't flog it just cruise country back roads at 45-55 and I cleaned the air filter and plug. I'm a complete newbie to this bike and any all help in this would be greatly appreciated!! I just don't know enough about the bike yet and at a loss as to what might be causing the poor mpg. Thanks for any and all replies ahead of time!!
Tim

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Hello Tim, yes, fuel economy can vary considerably from rider to rider, bike to bike. Much of this is down to how the bike is used, on what type of roads (hills, number of junctions, altitude etc), speeds used etc etc. Also riding technique. It's what you do with the throttle and the brakes! More braking means less mpg. More throttle means less mpg to a point too. So it's how you use the bike. It all counts. So ok, at 45mph your variator is probably not quite up to maximum high gear. So you are in effect running in a less optimal gearing range at that speed and maybe using more fuel. But also the longer the run the better the fuel economy. In town at slow speeds or with much stop and start riding the fuel economy will be lower. As you cover the miles this lower economy get left behind and you see the fuel metre going up and up. On a 25 mile run on mixed roads with mixed speeds I get 76-78mpg (imperial gallons of 4.54 litres). But in similar riding conditions over a 60 mile run I get 82-84mpg. In town only I get 73-74mpg. I can't get lower in normal riding. If you think it's a bit low then make sure you use the right fuel. Don't use higher octane than recommended as it wastes money and can induce too much carbon build up in the engine and also lowering fuel economy. This is due to the slow burn nature of the higher octane fuel. It actually wastes energy at higher revs as it often doesn't finish the burn before being ejected into the exhaust system. Not good for the engine exhaust valves or guides. These engines do try to compensate for this slow burn with it's closed loop system but it still isn't that accurate from tests I've done on the dyno monitoring exhaust gases and power output. Make sure your tire pressures are at the correct level when cold (before riding). Low pressures sap fuel economy and can knock off 3 or 4 miles per gallon easily by just being 3 or 4 pounds down. Those are the easy things to check and do. You can also try using a fuel injector fuel system cleaner for petrol engines as this can also make a big difference by cleaning the crud off the injector and from the fuel induction system. It's my guess that your fuel economy will improve as you get more and more used to riding the bike and you stop playing with the throttle too much as you ride. Anyhoo, good luck and keep posting. Ride safe.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Tire pressure is a huge factor. I was down to 33/34 after a travel layoff and the mileage was abysmal.

Back to normal once I put it to 38/40 and the bike handles far lighter.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
View attachment 30226

Is it kinda loud? There's a muffler connector, see item #2 on the diagram. On the 07 model,they have a tendency of burning up prematurely. When they do, the bike gets a little loud, like a popping sound. Also it allows air to get into the pipe and that is right where the O2 sensor sits. The sensor detects more oxygen and enriches the fuel mixture. Thus bad gas mileage.

Get your ear down to the connection point and listen for the popping sound. If so, I'd try swapping that out. Maybe with your next tire change. You must replace it every time you take off the muffler and get the 08+ connector. The 07s burn up.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for the replies I will definitely check and keep an eye out! Been running my tires at 30 front 35 rear is that about right given variances of pressure gauges? Thanks again for the advice it IS much appreciated.:D

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Rider weight can play a part too but to make the mpg go down to 45 would require quite a heavy load. Not carrying lead bars in the trunk are you?

As a reference I am getting just shy of 60mpg on my 2006 with similar speeds. I weigh in at 250lbs so I am bit chunky but I carry very little and never any passengers.

As others have said check your tire pressure. I would also say that you should check the CVT. Make sure the belt is still in spec and that the rollers are not flat spotted.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HA HA Thanks Speed no don't have any lead in the trunk maybe in my bottom!:D I weigh about 220 or thereabouts and forgot to say that the bike came with a givi screen installed which I cut down about 4 inches. Run the tires at 30 front 35 rear is that about right? I'm thinking maybe the injector is gummed up some as the bike did sit for 4-5 months before I bought it. I will look at the belt and stuff tomorrow. Thanks, Tim

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Guys,
Just wanted to give a quick update about my crappy mileage. Filled the tank and poured about 3oz. of injector cleaner in and went for a ride. happy to report that the more I rode the more the mileage went up all the way to 64 mpg!:hello1: Needless to say I am a happy camper! Guess it was a gummed up injector from sitting so long. The rough idle is gone and feels like its got more get up and go! I want to extend my thanks to all who posted with their Ideas, knowledge and suggestions. I do appreciate the input. Take care and safely enjoy the ride. I know I am!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
picked up a can of Seafoam . known a lot of people that swear by it and seems to have done the trick for me! went for another ride into town about 15 miles round trip and gauge is reading 67 mpg. Couldn't be happier.:p
Tim

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Oh that's fantastic! So glad it wasn't something more serious.

But do remember about the muffler connector. Whenever you take off the pipe, it must be replaced with an 08+ model. Also, when the clutch goes, make sure to get the 08+ model. The 07 was under engineered, so they switched from a 3 to a 5 shoe clutch.

You are just gonna love that bike.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the kind words. Really glad it wasn't more serious too! :D Even with the so-so mileage I was loving it. Thanks for the reminder about the connector and the updated clutch. I've got a notebook next to the laptop writing everyone's knowledge and ideas down so they're easily looked up! Now I wish I had Bought one years ago!! Take Care, Tim

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
hhmmph maybe I will try that - mine has been a bit rough on start recently

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok but don't be mad at me if it wasn't the seafoam that cured it (pretty sure it was) and I just got a tank of bad gas!:rolleyes: Tim

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
"Your mileage may vary"
Winters in lower Alabama, I see a little less than 60 mpg.
Summers, I get mid 60's.
Last week I took a 2-lane trip and pulled into the garage with 75 mpg showing.
I have seen 83 mpg :D at constant cruise- reset the Trip "B" display while at speed.
City riding shows in the 50's. Stop and go trudges, and cold weather kills the MPG with this 400. It has a lot of mass to get moving from stops.
Looking at how to install a warm air intake this year. Have done it with my Saturn and saw 40 mpg on a trip north when temps were in the teens.

BTW I'll bet 50% of Seafoam sales are to Saturn S-series owners, trying to stop oil burning :(

·
Registered
10 Posts
Watch the rpms. I get best milage under 6,000. as the belt wears your rpms will increase. I changed a belt at 23,000 miles at greatly improved my mileage but I was still running 6,000 rpms at 55. The best thing I did was put 21 gram Dr Pulley sliders in and dropped rpms 1,500. I am now getting a consistent 65 mpg and little better on occasions. I drive mostly hyways at about 60mph and weigh 240. I now have 36,000 on my 400. I bought it for gas mileage and it was getting about 59 when it was new, but considerably dropped until I did this work. I'm loving it now. Thought I would give you a little feed back. In Christ, Don

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mike, took a trip to see the kids Labor day weekend and got 73 mpg (yay) so I'm happy. Very true about the mass to get moving and very funny sea-foam pun! Don, thanks for the feedback. My bike just turned over 10,000 miles and runs about 6000 at 65 mph so that's about right as I understand it. Bike sat for awhile before I bought it and the jet was clogged. Runs great now and I love it!! Take care, Tim

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Mike33, Thanks yea sea foam has always worked for me. How some people can say they tried it and it did nothing is beyond me. Ride safe, Tim

1 - 19 of 19 Posts