Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Abu Dhabi to EU (didn't happen)

26K views 231 replies 16 participants last post by  SemBurg 
#1 ·
2008 AN400 purchased against all advice for long trip from Abu Dhabi to Europe next year!
Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Motor vehicle

I'm convinced the Burgman's a good choice, and better than the big adventure bikes for me - and looking forward to testing to see if it's true.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

For now, first thing is maintenance overhaul so the baseline is set. It has 30,000 km, and runs very well. Unknown service history as it was imported a few months ago, seems from EU or Australia as it has key immobilizer. Previous owner dropped it on right side, declared it too dangerous to ride and so I scooped it up! 8)

I've been reading about the AN400 like crazy, and this forum has been very helpful - thanks.

There's still plenty time for me to bail out LOL

See less See more
#4 ·
Reactions: 808
#9 ·
Welcome. I would get a top trunk unless you're thinking of a saddlebag like this one. With a top trunk you can still open the seat.

Preparing Yamaha XT660Z for my Next Trip - Riding Gear & Saddlebag - Part 2 - YouTube
Excellent series of videos, thanks. I'm open to different packing systems, though I'll prolly strap soft bags behind me. I'll take the preparations step by step. First purchase done: a dust cover LOL Now I'll start opening up the tupperware and having a look at how the bike is made, and preparing for fluids/filters change, full service, basically.
Welcome to the Burgman world.

Not sure if you will be going on sub standard roads like sand and gravel. There are no real Adventure type tires for a Burgman 400. You may look at mounting a Car Tire for traction if legal in your areas.
I'm pretty sure it'll be all tarmac roads - sand is deep here, and I'd get stuck within a few yards. But hard-packed dirt tracks I'd do, probably to find a place to camp not far from the road. But yeah, definitely not planning an offroad trip. It's either Iran, Turkey and into Europe - or west thru Saudi, Jordan, Syria, Turkey, and up to Europe. Paved roads are good all the way. I'll deal with routes later, but I'll prolly just set out with a general direction and be flexible, let the Burg guide me :)

#5 ·
welcome! the 08 is a great machine, and you got the faster red one instead of the better gas mileage black! do the seat release mod, check the gas tank for rust, and take a glass of water on your trip, it gets kinda thirsty out there!

#7 ·
Welcome to the Burgman world.

Not sure if you will be going on sub standard roads like sand and gravel. There are no real Adventure type tires for a Burgman 400. You may look at mounting a Car Tire for traction if legal in your areas.

Reactions: prossett
#8 ·
I've been on "roads" that the back tire would push but the front tire would slither around when ever it found solid ground , kinda like pushin a lariat up a waterfall., finally got it off the side of the road into the grass and got the heck outta dodge

#11 · (Edited)
Yeah, it'll be dry at least until Turkey.

Meanwhile, getting intimate with the parts... 😂

Tap Plumbing fixture Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle

While waiting for parts for the service, might as well see how it's built. Want to be familiar enough to take it apart and fix stuff roadside (in the dark, sandstorm blowing, while fighting off packs of hungry stray dogs... LOL).

So far, I like how it's put together - very clever. I've fought a few ******* bolts in my life, so I'm actually liking the plastic pop rivets. Gently does it. PO not only dropped it cracking some tupperware on the right side, but apparently also had the fingers of a Neanderthal and ripped out a few tabs. Well, fair enough - it's a 14 year old machine! It's kept itself very well, and a few plastic nicks and broken fasteners isn't bad at all. I'll need to try get it as tight as possible, give it the best chance to make the trip without dropping pieces along the way. Mechanically seems very straightforward, but as of now, I think the issues, if any, will come from the electrics/electronics.

#12 ·
One of the things to pack in your repair kit is about 10-20 long black wire ties. Black are more UV stable. I have had cheap white ties fail in direct sun in weeks.

A sharp pointed knife will drill a hole in ABS or Polypropylene so you can wire tie it up if needed.

Edited for spelling

Reactions: prossett
#16 · (Edited)
PS: I've been rapidly upgrading / fixing all the perceived weak spots on my K6 AN400, with the goal of making her a capible regional or national Tourer.

It is amazing how a few key upgrades can improve it's Roadability.

My tires were 16 years old, can you believe ?
Per the date code imprint.

Boy were they sketchy !
Vibrations galore.

Putting new SHINKO Tires & filling with SaharaMoto Balancing sealant has been key.

Now smooth at all speeds.

Along with windshield extension to reduce highway traffic buffeting (semis were nasty before, manageable now).

LED bulbs for better vision...can see 35% more at least.

I'm making a backrest extension to help make 300 - 500 mile days possible.

And CVT upgrades to lower RPM s are in the works.

Plus new Suzuki drive belt to ensure no "old belt breakdown".

'Bout 90% sure this belt, with only 8500 miles but 16 years, is original one.

Everybody here without exception has said:

"CHANGE IT !"

It's the only way to be sure.

Even if old this existing belt is ok now but I'm only doing 60-90 min short hops.

I think that long hot road conditions stress the Belt far more than quick trips, so I'm changing it to ensure road safety.

On packing space and cargo,
mine already had a modest size top trunk.
Its sufficient....but def a key item

I am going to use a 55L Kemi-Moto Dry Bag for clothes etc lashed to passenger seat behind me.

Plus I have 1 person tent, backpacking air sleeping pad & bag.

Those will be wrapped watertight or underseat.

I may do 2 nights tent, then hotel, or alternate.

Jury is still out on that score - no way to tell now, how tiring OR invigorating the Open Road may feel !

I just want to have the tent camp option for the sheer adventure & economy too.

I share all this cause you sound like your trip is longer than mine, and you just got your 400 Burger, sounds like similar shape to mine.

Btw, pull your Airbox & check air filter.
Mine was 90% rotted away.
CVT was same bad shape - as I said elsewhere, my bike was low miles & yet very neglected.

My short, initial "Test Tour" will be to Eureka Springs Arkansas for the Scoot The Ozarks Rally Sept 12-17th.

Lord willin, and my Burger 400 cooperating, I will then head West to San Diego CA, my hometown to arrive late September.

That first Tour is 450 miles each way.

The second Tour is 1650 miles each way.

Yes it sounds crazy.
And epic and totally fun.
Definitely risky but def not boring !

Hope that helps you realize you're NOT crazy to Tour on an early Burgman.

Just ✔ all the maintenance items first.

Best regards, David

#17 ·
Ah! kindred spirit - David, excellent to read your posts!

Epic and totally fun indeed :) in the end, we realize life is short, and every so often one has to extend beyond normality, just to feel that raw emotion of truly being alive!

I'm now well into phase 2 - mechanical overhaul!

Basically, following the AN400 service manual and adding the recommended mods from the experts here 8) Big help!!

16 year old tyres!! Crikey Moses!! I'm swapping out the front at 5 years of age, also going with Shinko SR567 - rear still good, so I'll replace just before leaving.

I'd love to have the chance for the Scoot The Ozarks Rally! Thing about North America is you can ride for years and never have to leave the continent - such a great and diverse natural landcape, with every city offering something special. I've done the West Coast twice, and a bit more inland: Vancouver, BC - Baja, Mexico, many years ago!

As for my trip, I've purposely stayed away from planning it other than "enter at south, exit at north" LOL Overall it looks like 3,000km across Iran, another 3,500km across Turkey, and then I'd be in EU. In total I'll estimate 10,000km / 6,300 miles.

Something like this - I'll develop all route notes in due time, and I'll gladly share before, during, and after updates!

World Ecoregion Map Atlas Line

World Map Line Water Screenshot

For now, full focus on maintenance, else I'll be going nowhere... and then Phase 3 will be overland mods and long-distance touring.

Fun times!

Can't wait to see pics of the Scoot The Ozarks Rally 8)

#18 ·
Amazing journey you have in front of you there !

You and the Children of Israel, (plus some of the adults) trekking across the barren wilderness in search of the Promised Land.

And while it's a land of Miracles, it's good to get that maintenance done.

For me, that's miraculous too. I am keenly aware these bikes have parts we never see ,& can't check ahead of time.

My earnest prayer is always: "Lord can you make the surprise failure happen EARLY, in my driveway, near my tools ?"

It seems the Adventure factor is higher on older bikes. I try to think of it older, as bring a Virtue, not a Vice.

OLD = proven & trustworthy, rather than worn out or failure prone.

Are you doing CVT maintenance or upgrades ?

Cheers - David

#19 · (Edited)
Replace all wheel bearing before a long trip even if they seem to be OK.

2008 on my 650 I was on the way home after a 250 mile ride when the bike started to jurk around like a tank slapper. I was 15 miles from home and called my AMA towing but still had to wait 2 hours for them to get a truck to me. Rear wheel bearing was locked up. It did not wreck the wheel but scored the axle a bit.

EDIT, bearing failed on my 2008 ride, not 2007.

#21 ·
Replace all wheel bearing before a long trip even if they seem to be OK.

2007 on my 650 I was on the way home after a 250 mile ride when the bike started to jurk around like a tank slapper. I was 15 miles from home and called my AMA towing but still had to wait 2 hours for them to get a truck to me. Rear wheel bearing was locked up. It did not wreck the wheel but scored the axle a bit.
How often is replacement interval ?
Buying OE or match at bearing house ?
Curious - David

#20 · (Edited)
Yes, new V-belt (OEM, the Mitsuboshi) ordered and on its way - didn't even look at the old one yet, but it's an item for replacement on the service schedule, so that'll go in fresh regardless. This first effort is to baseline a bike of which I know no history.

I did pull off the V-belt dust filter, and promptly destroyed it while trying to wash it LOOL it was rotten and crumbling to dust, actually. Now looking at a DIY sponge solution, as the stock one seems really flimsy. The manual says clean, but never replace... maybe they know it'll fall apart and so it gets replaced automatically that way, without needing regular service intervals!

I think the metal CVT parts should be OK - just planning to change the belt, that's all. We'll see once I open it up properly. I'll have a good look at the rollers for any wear.

Thanks for the wheel bearing suggestion, @Dave_J - that's a good and easy, and cheap preventative move, especially since I'll have the wheel off to change the tyre - appreciated.

#23 ·
Prossett, that all sounds great.

Belt failure would ruin any trip !

Just an FYI 2 minor upgrade parts can transform your CVT & lower highway RPM make cruising easier & better mpg.

1) Dr Pulley 21g Sliders (replace stock rollers)
2) Yellow Malossi ContraSpring (replace weak factory one in clutch)

They say we drop 1000 RPM & gain mph.

Now I'm 7,000 rpm @ 75 indicated (really 70).
Once in, it will be like 5600 RPM at 75...it's big benefit.

Mitch "MicBergsma" has a YT video showing this.

Total cost $85 and we have to pull most of that off anyway to change belt.

Cheers - David

#24 ·
I find my wheel bearings on Ebay. They are made by KOGO in Japan. I buy them in sets of 10.

When I remove the wheel for tire service I spin the bearing with my finger and if I feel any gritty or hard spot feelings I just toss them. Being that I run a 50,000 mile rated Car tire in the rear, I just replace them every tire change now due to my 2008 story above. That time the wheel bearings had three motorcycle tires and just started riding on a 25,000 car tire so they failed at about 21,000 miles.

EDIT, I looked at my service records and I made the trip to visit my father 250 miles away in 2008, not 2007.

#28 ·
Very useful, thanks. I'll keep the bearings as they seem pretty smooth - I'm all for re-setting a used bike's maintenance when I buy it, but I also need to focus my efforts and not get carried away and change out everything LOL I get to the point where I start thinking I might as well have bought a new one!

Phase 2 - mechanical servicing nearing completion: did all fluids (except final drive, waiting for belt to arrive and do them both at once - though I'm scheming what to do about the variator tool... definitely DIY, but ideally it's something I can carry with me on the bike - like using the tyre irons and a breaker bar pipe... or a butch tent pole, something McGyverish like that.) Also changed air and oil filters. If there's any bike that suffers from oil filter envy, it's got to be our Burgs! LOOL

Fuel tank clean as a whistle!

So, ahead of me are final drive oil, v-belt, valve clearance check and new spark plug.

I'm also looking at the 5-year-old front tyre and thinking that looks pretty good, actually...my stingy streak kicking into play LOL Except I've already bought the new replacement - doh! Maybe I'll run the old one for the test-rides, and swop it just before the trip.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Next phase - electrickery!

And then that will have been long enough for me to have forgotten where everything goes...

#29 · (Edited)
Nice work, apparently not your first rodeo.
You've tackled everything. I can't imagine what that bill would be from a Suzuki Dealer had you not the skill. I'll bet your itching to put that girl back together and ride her.

You're the guy I want to buy a used bike from :cool:

#30 · (Edited)
Thanks SemBurg - appreciated.

Yes, it's my hobby as well as a practical way to keep things running well.

Usually just a couple of side panels, and you're done - but the Burg takes its tupperware to an art form!

Here in all its glory, except handlebar cover and instrument display - wow!

Sleeve Grey Font Red Material property

Tool Hand tool Knife Pliers Slip joint pliers

Oh, and no front fender.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.