Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
161 - 180 of 197 Posts

· Registered
2008 AN400
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 · (Edited)
Passport renewal smooth and timely, ready next week. First two country visas ok, but some news from unofficial sources that the next one won't allow individuals to cross the northern border (not mentioning it outright, see a map). I've heard from a travel agent and a friend's friend who works in a hotel, so it's not solid info. I'll go speak to the embassy people next week, and hopefully get clarity. Apparently I can enter, with transit visa, but not exit at the northern end. And that helps me none, as I need to transit through, not turn around and come back.

I mean, that's not transit at all. But all's cool as I'm used to these kinds of obstacles, and oftentimes they melt away on their own. So let's visit the officials in person and hear from the source. No answer at the embassy phone, and that adds an ominous feel to it. To be fair, they've had far more pressing problems to address these past 10 years than some buffoon on his scooter wanting to waltz through!

However, this news brings the eastern route back into the picture, though recent developments from that area are not particularly encouraging for tourists, even though that was my original first choice as the history and culture is amazing and a once-in-a-lifetime travel experience.

At the same time I've confirmed that Iraq does not currently allow overland private travel by vehicle - I inquired via the embassy just to cover all options, as that's the third possible route to reach Turkey - though a 1,100 km or so ride across Iraq north-south exposed on my Burgman, like an idiot, makes even Saudi look like a garden of pleasures, and I had no real intentions. But, good to know it's not on the menu anyways.

Time for bureaucratic suspense... little over two months to Departure-Day.

· Registered
2012 Burgman 400
334 Posts
Good luck! Your map shows you going through Saudi Arabia and after that Israel? Is that where you're having problems? Can you ferry across to Cyprus, then Turkey? And continue from there? Do you have to go through Egypt.

Quite an adventure you have ahead of you! ✌

· Registered
2008 AN400
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #163 · (Edited)
It is for sure - but that's the Middle East for ya!

Funny you mention it, but my Plan C - if all else goes wonky, but I have the Burgman packed and ready - is Easter in the Holy Land. Wouldn't be too bad a trip, eh?

However, for now it's still Plan A, destination EU :cool:

· Registered
2008 AN400
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 · (Edited)
As I wade through the bureaucratic swamp of visas, medical and scooter insurances, and export vehicle certificates... I've finalized the tools and spares, with appreciation for your very helpful advice from previous posts.

These are tailored for a 2008 Burgman 400, and they should cover most if not all needs of that specific model. In other words, instead of taking a whole set of sockets, these are the sizes that fit the 400.

Not claiming it's the best and final kit, but it can probably help someone who's planning a long trip and wants to be as self-sufficient as possible. The trip in question is across Arabia and so that also determines the priorities, as well as the need to keep the gear as minimal and light as possible.

Your comments are always welcome, and I'll be glad to discuss!

Hand tool Metalworking hand tool Diagonal pliers Tool Pliers

Tool BagQty
white-out1
yellow notespack
pencil1
magnet1
mirror1
small flathead screwdriver1
small pry1
phillips screwdriver1
flathead screwdriver1
vise-grip pliers1
long-nose pliers1
valve feeler1
wrench / spanner 8, 10, 12, 14 mm4
allen key 4, 5, 6 mm3
1/2" allen socket 12 mm1
1/2" socket extension1
1/2" extension bar1
1/2" spark plug socket 16 mm1
1/2" sockets 8, 10, 12, 14 mm4
1/2" sockets 24, 32 mm1
torx key T201
sew-all1

Font Art Fashion accessory Visual arts Everyday carry

Mechanic Supplies BagQty
rag2+1
wet-wipespack
liquid soap + water bottle mixbottle
plastic gloves3 pairs
mechanic glovespair
electrical wireroll
shrink tubing4
Gorilla transparent taperoll
radiator hose taperoll
zip-ties12
ABS glue1
ABS putty1
reasalable plastic bags10
sandpapersquare
fuel transfer hose1
battery jump cables (not in photo)1
funnel1
thread lock1
sponge1
spare fuses 10, 25, 306
flat plastic sheet1
duct taperoll
steel wire (not in photo)roll
multimeter1
wire probe for FI1
liquid gasket sealant1
rubber band1
grease tube1

Rectangle Font Material property Art Pattern

Spares BoxQty
headlight bulb1
brakelight bulb1
indicator bulb1
daylight bulb1
spark plug1
air filter1
oil filter1
CVT cooling filter1
inline fuel filter1
jubilee clips2
v-belt1
front brake pads2
rear brake pads1
plastic clips 8 mm10
plastic clips 6 mm5

Font Watch Cable Bicycle part Auto part

Compressor BagQty
tyre valve2
puncture inserts3
tyre repair punch1
tyre valve tool1
cutter (in tool bag)1
air compressor1
pressure gauge1
short & long tyre irons3
rim protectors4

Later the camping, riding, emergency, comms, etc., gear :cool:

· Registered
2008 AN400
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 ·
You need a six pack of fly swatters!
Oh man, you know... you've experienced... yup, though March-April is OK, and they're gone with the sunset. They won't bother me as I'll be traveling in the open, far from cities. As for other insects and reptiles, that's also why I favor sleeping in a hammock!

· Premium Member
2,375 Posts
@prossett , a few comments:

- Looks like an excellent collection of stuff, to me. Nice work.

- It's possible I missed this, of course, but I don't see a flashlight. Even if your compressor has a built-in light, I'd also add a hand-held one (with some Energizer lithium batteries in it), because you may not want (or be able) to run the engine.

- I've long been a fan of Knipex parallel-jaw wrenches. I've kept the 7" one in my bike toolkit for a dozen or more years. I'm talking about www.knipex.com/products/pipe-wrenches-and-water-pump-pliers/pliers-wrenches-pliers-and-a-wrench-in-a-single-tool/pliers-wrenches-pliers-and-wrench-single-tool/8603150 (www.amazon.com/Knipex-8603250-10-Inch-Pliers-Wrench/dp/B000X4KP1C). This would be in place of or in addition to the vise grips (which don't have those nice parallel jaws).

- Speaking of vise grips, I've read that the smaller needle-nose version makes an acceptable brake lever extension, if clamped down very tightly, if a stock lever breaks off. (OTOH, I did break an Exec stock lever once in a parking lot tip-over, and the cut-out in the stocker worked as intended, i.e., about 3/4 of the original lever remained intact.)

- I don't understand the need for those extra two valve stems, but you're making the trip, not me. Valve cores, sure; very tiny, anyway. (And don't get me started on brands -- see yesterday's post www.burgmanusa.com/threads/dash-flicker.178655/post-1833877 -- before I have a fit.)

That's all I got.

· Registered
2008 AN400
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #169 ·
@prossett , a few comments:
Good comments, thank you.

Actually, I added the vise-grips based on your suggestion, from an earlier post :cool: excellent advice, and in fact, when I added the mirror extensions, without them I would have been stuck... so any mirror adjustment while underway also would require them! Plus, they're like an extra pair of hands, and useful to clamp onto all sorts of things. But I added the ones I already had, rather than buy in the Knipex - which are totally a quality tool! I hope I don't reach a point where I regret the economy in this regard!

You're also right on the valve stems... I've never had to replace one on a motorcycle, that I can remember! I think this is a transfer-over from the off-roading we do in the sand dunes here, where we are constantly deflating / re-inflating, and always carry a few extra valve stems. Since no off-roading is planned for the Burg, I think I can if not remove them altogether, at least reduce them to one only. Thanks!

Flashlight - well, LED headlamp - in another bag: plus a spare on the external battery for cell phone. Absolutely a necessary tool in the dark, and not only for fixing stuff - just to see where I'm stepping! Actually, come to think of it... I don't have an emergency light signal... you know, like the triangle we carry in cars. There's some nice yellow-flashing pucks for bikes. You just activate and plonk on the ground 30 yards behind you. Mind you, on a bike or scoot it's easy enough to pull off the hard shoulder, and where I'll be riding there will be 100s of km of emptiness at the side of the roads :ROFLMAO: I've been trying really hard to minimize the gear to the absolute minimum - and not even because there's no space: there is! but because traveling light is not only more comfortable in terms of riding, but also somewhat liberating.

· Registered
2008 AN400
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #171 · (Edited)
OK, further to the mechanical tools and spares shared above, here is the camping gear list.

I think I'll spare you further photos after this, as nobody is interested in seeing pics of socks and regular stuff 😁 "Oh look, he's taking two t-shirts." But I'll weigh and maybe take a general pic of the whole kaboodle, just for posterity.

So, day and night camp bags:

Font Rectangle Bag Eyewear Luggage and bags

Camping Day BagQty
cup1
Solo Stove1
stove wind shield1
mess kit1
tea / coffee1
matchesbox
USB lighter1
BIC lighter1
tinderbox
belt knife1
spoon fork knife1
folding chair1
folding table1
flip-flopspair

Sleeve Font Material property Bag Hat

Camping Night BagQty
hammock + straps1
LED headlamp1
sleeping pad1
sleeping bag liner1
sleeping bag1
pillow1
paracordroll
walking stick1
tarp + pole1
ridgeline1
8 pegs + 2 plastic bags1
tent1
tent footprint1

· Premium Member
2,375 Posts
Thank you wspollack ,

Added Knipex to my Amazon save for later so I can price track.
I always thought they were just expensive Channel Locks but now I understand.
That Plier Wrench will be what I look for at Flea Markets and Pawn Shop grab bins.
Just out of curiosity, I searched my email. Check out how long I've been carrying the Knipex (and of course the price has gone up a bit since then, but not like, say, a carton of eggs). I'm guessing this was before Amazon carried them (or maybe before Amazon carried anything):

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

If I've used them for bike repairs, it has been very infrequently (to the point where I've completely forgotten). I think it's more of a "comfort" item. OTOH, I do know that once or twice a year, I bring them inside the house, for some task for which they seem appropriate.

Reactions: DarisPakar

· Premium Member
2,375 Posts
@prossett :

I await your final pics with interest. I wish you luck and speedy border crossing on your epic adventure.

BTW, my camping gear supplies, for the few multi-day bike trips I do each year:

Hand Gadget Gesture Finger Nail

· Premium Member
4,253 Posts
prossett ,

After seeing your mexican meal and siesta, I picked up a hammock, mossy net and tarp. Still need to pick up an under quilt or wait another 60 days to overnight.

I really do appreciate you taking the time to photo and index everything for us.

· Registered
55 Posts
Checking this posting frequently from general interest. At my age, I know I'll not be trekking very far, very fast. When I did, I tended to pack minimally, and motel it. After a long ride, often in adverse weather, I appreciated a clean motel, with a hot shower and an easy walk to nearby restaurants. Yeah, I know, I'm just a wimp these days, but I'm still alive, at least for TODAY.

· Registered
2008 AN400
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #177 · (Edited)
Checking this posting frequently from general interest. At my age, I know I'll not be trekking very far, very fast. When I did, I tended to pack minimally, and motel it. After a long ride, often in adverse weather, I appreciated a clean motel, with a hot shower and an easy walk to nearby restaurants. Yeah, I know, I'm just a wimp these days, but I'm still alive, at least for TODAY.
And, dear sir, that's the best we can all aspire to - and also why we share on BUSA :cool: May the feeling of riding free, on the open road, live forever for all of us!

· Registered
2008 AN400
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #178 ·
prossett ,

After seeing your mexican meal and siesta, I picked up a hammock, mossy net and tarp. Still need to pick up an under quilt or wait another 60 days to overnight.

I really do appreciate you taking the time to photo and index everything for us.
It's my pleasure to share - and if I were stateside, I assure you we'd be riding shoulder to shoulder :cool:

Into the horizon!

· Registered
2008 AN400
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #179 ·
Latest: following a visit and cordial in-depth chat at Sryn embassy today, they sympathize but can't guarantee passage through northern border into Trky - I can enter and ride around the country, if I wish to, but not cross into their northern neighbor. Only humanitarian passage is allowed. And going to visit my old mother doesn't qualify. I played the elderly Mum card, don't blame me LOL

Fair enough. Tell the truth, I also don't want to take the place of a genuine life-or-death refugee as I'm basically an idiot on a scooter gallivanting across the region for no good reason whatsoever, other than "it's fun, and I like it".

Great word that, BTW - "Gallivant" - Oxford dic explains it as "to visit or go to a lot of different places, enjoying yourself and having few worries or responsibilities"

What is worth savoring in life if not a full-throttled gallivant every so often...? :cool:

So we're closed on both eastern passages - though I'm glad Irq is not an option. Crossing Irq south to north on an exposed scooter makes even Sawdi look like a garden of pleasures.

And so we are left with Irn up to Trky - which was my first choice all along, as I admire the history and culture, despite the recent bubbling.

Two months to go, and it's decision time... this is where it becomes either genius or the stupidest thing ever. Burgman is ready, I'm ready...general situation not totally rosy and peachy.

Any advice?

161 - 180 of 197 Posts