Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
141 - 160 of 197 Posts

· Registered
2008 AN400
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 · (Edited)
Yes, trying to minimize the chances of bureaucratic snafus happening!

Other issue is the general insecurity in the region - just yesterday, papers reported protests in Jordan, with angry yobs blocking highways, burning tyres, and throwing stones at passing vehicles... in protest of rising fuel prices. Nothing I can do about that.

Meanwhile, full dress rehearsal!

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting

All aboard, and fitting well. Burg hardly felt it 8) and I haven't adjusted the suspension yet. I'll weigh all my kit at some point.

What is noticeable is the effect of crosswinds. All the camping gear and tools /spares fit under the seat, so inside the bag are mainly clothes, and space for some souvenirs (great advice from a BUSA buddy, thanks!) Actually, inside the bag are 5 cardboard boxes, serving as compartments.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Rain and dust cover for the bag needs changing - too thin, and too flappy - doesn't tie down well enough. I'll see if I can cut and stitch a heavier tarp to size, with bungee straps.

Strapped to the rear passenger seat area is my folding kayak bag, good heavy material and zippers, and it could go without the cover, but the dust would soon cake it. Better with cover also to dissuade naughty fingers. A 3mm cable locks it onto the scooter as well.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting

I decided to cut back on the spare tyre and even the tyre irons - I've contacted Michelin in Turkey for the City Grip 2 tyres, and they've assured me tyres of my size would be in stock at most tyre shops. So I'll just carry a patching kit and compressor. And gauge.

Also, no variator tool and "big bertha" extension bar, as I reckon the new v-belt should last the whole trip, plus any tyre shop can loosen/fasten that nut for me with their gun in 5 seconds if needed.

Wheel Sky Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Funny story the aux petrol... some of you might remember the thread on how to carry it. Well, walking along the beach, spotted this heavy-duty plastic container (previously a fuel canister) and it looked like it would sit nicely with my 5L fuel and water in it.

And it did! 4 longer bolts, a few washers, and presto, my rear cargo box was ready - a perfect fit, too!

Barnacles and all LOOL a bit ghetto, true, but "use what you have" is a good motto. Once I clean it up I think it'll be presentable enough. Besides, I'll be adding tape and stickers to make the scooter look old and unworthy of thievery, as well as protecting the paint from sand and other nicks, so the recycled box at the back will help.

Very tough plastic, and my little petrol can fits like a glove - no play whatsoever. Like it was designed for it.

Vehicle Wheel Tire Automotive lighting Hood

Water Plumbing fixture Fluid Bathroom Wood

· Premium Member
8,539 Posts
as a caution I had one of them bubbly thangs on my honda seat, maybe it was the corrosive environment or whatever, but it din't last 500 miles before alla bubbles weren't . Ya can't plan for everything, and can't carry enough for every contingency but you seem to be getting a good start, and I am looking forward to your journey !

ummm , I think you neeed a cat, I have one available for just shipping :whistle:

• Haha
Reactions: prossett

· Registered
55 Posts
Just a thought......take some decent sized, and heavy duty water bottles, and as you use them up, convert them to gas containers. Should be something available. I sometimes freeze them and put them into my trunk or under the seat, and as they gradually thaw out, use them up. In my area, I've never bothered with carrying spare gas, but I can see how it might be a good idea in some locations.
Good Luck, a trip I'm WAY too old to consider.

· Premium Member
2,375 Posts

Other issue is the general insecurity in the region - just yesterday, papers reported protests in Jordan, with angry yobs blocking highways, burning tyres, and throwing stones at passing vehicles... in protest of rising fuel prices. Nothing I can do about that.
Yep, good luck, have fun, and be careful out there. I was looking at the US State Dept.'s travel advisories just the other day; FWIW, here's their map:

· Administrator
16,975 Posts
You might look at some Mosko Moto bags. While not cheap they are ruggard enough for most off roading adventures.

· Premium Member
813 Posts

Meanwhile, full dress rehearsal!

View attachment 102761

All aboard, and fitting well. Burg hardly felt it 8) and I haven't adjusted the suspension yet. I'll weigh all my kit at some point.

What is noticeable is the effect of crosswinds. All the camping gear and tools /spares fit under the seat, so inside the bag are mainly clothes, and space for some souvenirs (great advice from a BUSA buddy, thanks!) Actually, inside the bag are 5 cardboard boxes, serving as compartments.

View attachment 102762

Rain and dust cover for the bag needs changing - too thin, and too flappy - doesn't tie down well enough. I'll see if I can cut and stitch a heavier tarp to size, with bungee straps.

Strapped to the rear passenger seat area is my folding kayak bag, good heavy material and zippers, and it could go without the cover, but the dust would soon cake it. Better with cover also to dissuade naughty fingers. A 3mm cable locks it onto the scooter as well.

View attachment 102764

I decided to cut back on the spare tyre and even the tyre irons - I've contacted Michelin in Turkey for the City Grip 2 tyres, and they've assured me tyres of my size would be in stock at most tyre shops. So I'll just carry a patching kit and compressor. And gauge.

Also, no variator tool and "big bertha" extension bar, as I reckon the new v-belt should last the whole trip, plus any tyre shop can loosen/fasten that nut for me with their gun in 5 seconds if needed.

View attachment 102767

Funny story the aux petrol... some of you might remember the thread on how to carry it. Well, walking along the beach, spotted this heavy-duty plastic container (previously a fuel canister) and it looked like it would sit nicely with my 5L fuel and water in it.

And it did! 4 longer bolts, a few washers, and presto, my rear cargo box was ready - a perfect fit, too!

Barnacles and all LOOL a bit ghetto, true, but "use what you have" is a good motto. Once I clean it up I think it'll be presentable enough. Besides, I'll be adding tape and stickers to make the scooter look old and unworthy of thievery, as well as protecting the paint from sand and other nicks, so the recycled box at the back will help.

Very tough plastic, and my little petrol can fits like a glove - no play whatsoever. Like it was designed for it.

View attachment 102766

View attachment 102765
Like the fuel carrier, what a great idea(y)

· Premium Member
2,375 Posts
You might look at some Mosko Moto bags. While not cheap they are ruggard enough for most off roading adventures.
And if they’re good enough for Itchy Boots, well, enough said.

· Registered
2008 AN400
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·
I thought this was an interesting read.
HERE
Excellent, thanks!

Though the 400cc Burgman is no slow-poke, and seems to love running at 6k rpm all day, I do tend to ride slowly - there's no rush, I enjoy the feel of gliding along, looking around all relaxed like, instead of focusing on a dot ahead in the distance... so, I appreciated the article.

Take-aways are the mirror risers - good idea, and I did notice the bag is blocking out almost half of the rear view. I could lean a bit to get a good peek, but yes, risers are much smarter. Indeed, my number one fear is being rear-ended by a distracted driver so I'm hyper-aware of what's going on behind me.

Second, I love the sheepskin seat cover - want! I've already been warned the bubble-pad I currently have on the seat won't last, and I've used sheepskin to good effect on an old quad I used to ride for long-distances, and it really does a good job, even in hot weather. Plus, the older I get, the less I enjoy Iron Butt contests, one of the reasons for choosing the Burgman over other bikes.

A useful read - thanks again.

· Premium Member
8,539 Posts
plus the sheepskin makes a good warm soft addition to your bedroll, o_Ofor your feet o_Ofor your feet, considerin where it's been all day , you don't want it near yer nose at nite

· Registered
2008 AN400
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 · (Edited)
Route and legs have been firmed up, with due flexibility of course, but I doubt of any use to anyone LOL

I don't expect many BUSA brothers and sisters will be rushing to ride across Arabia soon... :ROFLMAO:

Google Maps says total of 8,499 km, which they reckon would take 109 hours... we'll see how close they are.

Some stops I'd like to make in the first leg - Saudi Arabia (Google pics):

Map World Line Atlas Parallel

"Edge of the World"

As well as some inevitables... such as longest straight road in the world: Hwy 10, apparently 240km (150 mi) of dead-straight tarmac... all I can say is glad it's not summer, and hurray for throttle locks!

Elephant Rock (Al Ula)

The abandoned Hijaz Railway

Red Sea:

Estimating a week on Saudi soil (well, sand) but I reckon I could double up on the daily mileage, especially for the desert passages, where taking it slow and easy doesn't make much sense. The limitation would be my level of tiredness, and the Burg's willingness to run fast.

However, an early breakdown would be disastrous as Burgmans would be extremely rare, basically non-existent in the kingdom (besides distance to the only real urban center for the whole leg - the capital, Riyadh - any parts would take time to ship in). Suzuki bike dealer would be Suzuki Barayan 🏍 سوزوكي باريان • Motorcycle Dealership in Saudi Arabia but they don't list the Burgman. So the mantra should be easy does it!

I'm also thinking full camping, since KSA is super-safe, bedouin culture understands and appreciates camping, chances of rain are minimal, and also I won't be missing much in terms of remote hotels... much better off out in the open, actually!

KSA leg should be around 3,000 km, a good third of the journey.

But I think the reality is going to be I'll rush it, and then regret not having taken more time in Saudi!

· Administrator
16,975 Posts
My time in Saudi Arabia was limited due to two things. I was on official USA business and Ramadan was still on. I drove a Nissin Cherry car from Bahrain over the 26 mile Causeway to Riyadh. While I had a Diplomat passport and the car was a sealed container, the Police tried to force me to open it up. I did not!!!

The US forces Commander did take me down town Riyadh but I was not free to walk around. The locals love to drag Foreigners down to "Chop Chop Square" to watch punishment day. The 3 days I was in Riyadh 2 men lost their "Right Hands" and 1 women was stoned (not to death) by her husbands family for speaking out about him in public.

Americans need to remember we do not have all our USA rights when in a foreign country.

· Premium Member
8,539 Posts
when I left saudi, at customs they made me brush the dust off my boots because they din't want any of their holy soil going with the infidels, I din't tell them about the 2 pounds of sand I had in the crack of my @$$

• Haha

· Registered
2008 AN400
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 · (Edited)
Quick update: installed the mirror extenders - good enhancement, even without a giant duffle bag draped across the passenger seat.

Bicycle Light Bicycle handlebar Asphalt Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

Also found that getting stuff in and out of that bag requires stopping, getting off, and fiddling around too much - so added a waterproof haversack between the knees.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Gives me a little extra storage (not particularly needed) but more importantly easy access, and I can take it with me when I park the scoot.

Dutch army surplus, stinks like an inflatable dinghy just out of winter storage, but is butch and totally 100% waterproof.

Kicks out of the way when I get on / off, and doesn't bother at all simply hanging around the handlebars.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting

Played with the "security" and I figure a light cable and padlock is enough - sure it can be cut, but if they come with tools, a thicker one won't make much of a difference. So this is for the unprepared, opportunistic fingers.

Without a good pair of snips (metal shears) this will complicate their quick snatch.

And if they cut the pretty-tough fabric, they'll find 5 separate compartments inside, also waterproof, and each requiring cutting again...
Luggage and bags Purple Bag Comfort Tints and shades

And lastly, first time in many years of living in the Middle East, I bought a rain jacket LOL

Glove Sleeve T-shirt Sportswear Jacket

Good also to stop the wind on chilly mornings, and it should also add a bit to safety with its visibility. Matches my helmet, though that's a bit faded now.

And tested the beachbum rear cargo carrier with 4.5L of bottled water, instead of the collapsible water bladder, as until EU the tap water isn't potable, so better I just buy water bottles, available at all gas stations and "uncle" stores...
Tire Bottle Liquid Automotive lighting Automotive tire

My main focus remains the visas - realized I also have to renew my passport, as some countries require 6 months validity from the date of entry... Sigh, here's my wallet...

· Premium Member
2,375 Posts
Those straps can't interfere with steering, if they move around?

· Registered
2008 AN400
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #159 ·
Those straps can't interfere with steering, if they move around?
It's a good point. I was sceptical as I tried it, and at first I was intending to mount it atop the rear bag, but actually it seems to be OK. The strap goes around the head and doesn't interfere in the least. It just slides. Is there any test I could do, other than turning left and right, and observing that the movement is fluid?

· Premium Member
2,375 Posts
It's a good point. I was sceptical as I tried it, and at first I was intending to mount it atop the rear bag, but actually it seems to be OK. The strap goes around the head and doesn't interfere in the least. It just slides. Is there any test I could do, other than turning left and right, and observing that the movement is fluid?
I don't know, regarding any test. It's just that I've never attached anything that way.

Reactions: prossett and Dave_J
141 - 160 of 197 Posts