Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
121 - 136 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
2008 AN400
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 · (Edited)
Just back from meeting "the Captain" and he was knowledgeable, and all sorted 8)

Way forward is export plates. Trip ticket (Carnet) no longer required. De-register the vehicle, slap on export plates, ride it towards the sunset via Saudi. Once in EU, import it within 6 months; if I decide to ride back, just re-import it on arrival.

This removes the Iran route as an option, but avoids the hefty deposit requirement of the Carnet (equal to vehicle value), and it should also place the vehicle out of the "leisure touring" category for insurance into the much cheaper commercial 'for export only' bracket.

Process is simple, online, and takes a few minutes (alledgedly).

Good - now I can also focus on the route planning since it's decided I'll be going west from Abu Dhabi: KSA, Jordan (wouldn't mind a quick detour to the Holy Land), Syria, Turkey, and up into Greece.

I lose the cultural richness of Iran (and the geo-political issues) but I gain the Red Sea and Jerusalem - fine by me 8)

Something like this:

World Map Line Parallel Screenshot

Around 4 months to departure day...

·
Premium Member
9,645 Posts
I suppose you know already about sand and dust and air filters. I envy you your adventure,,,,, but not the flies and the grit

Reactions: prossett

·
Registered
2008 AN400
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 · (Edited)
OK, the previous post, opened up.

Tableware Dishware Table Purple Tablecloth

Clockwise from top: stainless steel pan and plate, which serves as lid; tea towel/rag; fork and spoon pocket knife; shortened wooden spoon; dish-washing sponge; plastic garbage bags; dish-washing liquid. That all fits into the mess kit.

Moka pot Kitchen appliance Plant Table Gas

Solo Stove burns twigs and cooks beautifully, with saucepan and lid, surrounded by wind shield; tinder box; too many matches; thick rubber band; 2 lighters, one gas and the other rechargeable with USB; white BBQ fire starter; blue dish-washing sponge.

Bean bag Houseplant Gas Flooring Comfort

Folding bucket; soap; knife with sheath; mug; spiced tea :)

This is the hardware I'll carry with me on the Burgman - few more things go with it, like a folding table and chair; rechargeable headlamp, some dry emergency rations, etc.

I don't think I'll be taking ingredients with me, like cooking oil, etc. (which would be in a separate box) but I'll take coffee. The plan is to rise early, ride hard in the morning, heavy lunch at a restaurant with left-overs or take-away packed for light and early camp dinner, and coffee/cookies for quick breakfast - so no campfire, nor real cooking, just re-heating and tea/coffee.

Solo Stove is amazing in how just a few twigs will boil water: highly recommended.

US Army mess kit replica is also excellent - versatile and solid, also has a folding handle which locks it.

I could do without any of the other stuff, so those two are the main items. Oh, and my knife, of course.

If I were cooking properly, which I do when car camping, or on other kinds of trips, I'd add a small wooden chopping board, this foldable grill (also excellent) and the ingredients' box. But then you also need to carry fuel (charcoal, or wood, or chopping/sawing tools), and some sort of cooler to store the fresh foods - and I like to cook, and eat well, so we're talking gourmet camp cooking :cool: - but, for this long trip, I'll just buy restaurant meals, ready-cooked.

Hope this was useful - I enjoy "talking shop" ;) and feedback and advice is always welcome!

·
Registered
37 Posts
WOW.....you have a VERY adventurous Spirit. I love those RED paint colours. Look like my eyeballs on a Sunday morning back in the day. Over the years, when things have broken, on a few occasions, I was able to glue Velcro patches in place so things would hold together. If you have the space, perhaps carry a strip of it with some additional glue as the sticky side glue sometimes isn't good enough on some materials. Looking forward to reading about your adventures.

·
Registered
2008 AN400
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 · (Edited)
WOW.....you have a VERY adventurous Spirit. I love those RED paint colours. Look like my eyeballs on a Sunday morning back in the day. Over the years, when things have broken, on a few occasions, I was able to glue Velcro patches in place so things would hold together. If you have the space, perhaps carry a strip of it with some additional glue as the sticky side glue sometimes isn't good enough on some materials. Looking forward to reading about your adventures.
Oh, I'll find space for that - excellent advice!

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/VELCRO-Brand..._4?keywords=velcro+tape&qid=1668525025&sr=8-4

Velcro is great for flexible fixings, great idea, thanks.

As for adventure, I guess so - although it kind of happened to me just by luck of birth. As a kid my Dad took me all over the place with him, and so it kind of stuck to me. I also learned hard work from him, so those skills really paid off in my life. I wish the same for all the young kids nowadays, too.

·
Premium Member
5,099 Posts
I don’t think you have enough matches 🤣

How about some portion control packs of salt, pepper and sugar from McD’s. Also grab a couple straws and cut into 3’’ sections and fill with ghee and melt seal it just incase you need to fry something.

·
Premium Member
9,645 Posts
now, about that pull behind trailer, you wanna get the extra large capacity or the super extra large capacity

• Haha

·
Registered
2008 AN400
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
I might need to leave a bit earlier than planned - lucky I just realized:

Rectangle Font Handwriting Circle Parallel

So, if I want to find open restaurants during the day - but miss out on massive feasts at night - I'll need to reach EU before March 22nd.

Downside is late March in the Balkans can be quite cold still: average low of 4.3°C (39.7°F) and an average high of 12.5°C (54.5°F).

Especially when compared to April, which is a comfortable spring month with an average temperature ranging between min 8.3°C (46.9°F) and max 18.6°C (65.5°F).

Hmmm... any ideas?

I think I'd rather skip lunch than be cold all day on the scooter, and frozen at night... the upside is daytime riding will see mostly empty roads.

·
Premium Member
9,645 Posts
Having been on the empty roadside with a busted bike, 7 broken ribs a broken SCAPULA (they don't break often_ a broken collar bone and a couple internal organs displaced, I prefer a tiny bit of traffic. pleasant riding is the imperative as it is what you will spend the majority of your time doing, and so it will determine the quality of your adventure.

·
Registered
2008 AN400
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
Having been on the empty roadside with a busted bike, 7 broken ribs a broken SCAPULA (they don't break often_ a broken collar bone and a couple internal organs displaced, I prefer a tiny bit of traffic. pleasant riding is the imperative as it is what you will spend the majority of your time doing, and so it will determine the quality of your adventure.
Yes, that's an excellent point, thanks. I think I can expect the rural roads to be deserted.

Or I go later, after Apr 22... and suffer a bit of heat in the first leg... "The last month of the spring, May, is a torrid month in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, with temperature in the range of an average low of 25.9°C (78.6°F) and an average high of 39.4°C (102.9°F). "

I've lived here long enough to prefer heat to cold, especially if riding and camping.

·
Premium Member
9,645 Posts
Yup, riding in dry heat is much preferable to wet cold! especially in Saudi. Nasty sticky mud.

121 - 136 of 136 Posts