Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
81 - 100 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
2008 AN400
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 · (Edited)
I can understand the table and chairs, but I think the linen cabinet and all those pillows is a bit excessive.
:ROFLMAO:

However, kidding aside, I can't believe the Burgman...

This was the easiest packing of my life: I spread all my stuff out on the floor as you saw in the pic, next morning I took it all downstairs to the garage and loaded it - I'm done!

Whaat?? It all fit.

No drama, no cutting back, and there's not even a rear rack, top box or panniers on the bike...

Adventure touring bikes, take a knee and bow your heads in shame.

I just opened up the seat, threw in the heaviest items - that swallowed up all tools and camping gear. First Aid kit into the glove box right side.

That left me with non-riding clothes, which went in the dry bags and then in an old gym bag, which I strapped to the passenger seat. Not even with proper tie-downs, just a strap I had handy.

I could leave tomorrow morning...

I was expecting the usual compromises, the this-over-that decisions, having to drop most of my comfort items - incredibly easy with the Burgman!

And I have a proper pillow even!!! LOOOOOL

·
Registered
2008 AN400
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 · (Edited)
Enjoy your trip - and send pictures!
Thanks, I sure will.

The BurgmanUSA squad has been extremely helpful, and in a sense part of this dream trip from the very beginning. Even before I bought the bike I read every forum topic I could!

The phases concerning the Burgman are concluded with green light: bike mechanical condition and apparent reliability / ease of DIY repairs along the way; bike performance, and comfort, especially for long trips; and now cargo carrying capacity - all excellent and better than expected :cool:

Next are mods and adjustments, as mentioned previously, and practice rides. Though it's all gear I already had so I'm familiar with it and I can green light it even now without testing.

And then the next phase will be route and timing decisions. Major route decision will be do I go right or left at the start? East and north would take me across Iran; west and north would take me across Saudi, Jordan, and Syria. Both ways lead to Turkey and then up into EU. Timing-wise, I might need to aim to reach the Balkans not earlier than April, as March can still be cold... some thinking and study is required.

Last, but closer to the date, will be the bureaucratic steps, like visas, carnet, bike insurance, medical insurance for me, making sure I have all the required documents for import into EU upon arrival, etc. For those, mainly I just have to pay! LOL

And a quick check for any geopolitical issues before departure!

Definitely I'll keep you all posted, all the way :)

·
Super Moderator
6,047 Posts
That spare space will come in handy, I’d avoid the temptation to fill it and save it for food, delicacies and souvenirs.

I suppose your route will partly depend on wether you are site seeing en-route or just covering ground - and the distance between resupply/refuel opportunities.
I like the idea of Jordan, but that’s me.

·
Registered
2008 AN400
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 · (Edited)
That spare space will come in handy, I’d avoid the temptation to fill it and save it for food, delicacies and souvenirs.
Yes, good advice. Despite the Burg's generous cargo space, I'll need to save some.

As for pace, I favor getting up at first light, quick coffee and go, covering distance leading up to lunch - nice restaurant meal, followed by a relaxed afternoon exploring the area, scoping out a target camp place for the night, setting up day-camp for a nap somewhere shady nearby, checking out the sights, maybe find a coffee shop for a chat with the locals, buying take-away dinner, filling gas, stealthy move into night-camp just before sunset, shower/eat/sleep when it gets dark, no campfire, no cooking. So let's say averaging a full tank a day, 300km, 4-5-6 hours riding from early morning, with slow afternoons and early nights.

I do want extra fuel and also water on the bike - I'm looking at strapping a 5L jerry can each side, using the passenger floorboard as base.

Would you be OK riding with 5L of petrol in a plastic canister on the side? A more protected option would be between the knees, though cramping me in a bit, and also losing the balance with the water on the opposite side.

Water not only for drinking, and I'll be crossing desert terrain either direction, but camping wild can only be a civilized affair if you can wash properly, and occupy yourself making steaming hot cups of tea!

·
Premium Member
4,760 Posts
If you still plan to fabricate a rear luggage rack you might consider incorporating something like this:

I bought one pre-pandemic and can vouch that they are a thick rigid container with the intended benefit of it bolting down during transport.

·
Registered
2008 AN400
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
If you still plan to fabricate a rear luggage rack you might consider incorporating something like this:

I bought one pre-pandemic and can vouch that they are a thick rigid container with the intended benefit of it bolting down during transport.
Thanks - those are tough plastic.

Would you be OK securing it flat? I've only seen them installed vertically, standing up.

·
Registered
2008 AN400
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
i bleve i'd strap them cans on, water on rt side, an do some bumpy test rides!
Yes, you're right. Might not be as easy as it sounds.

A full 5L is plenty heavy (around 5kg, I guess), and to hold it place will require some engineering.

I was thinking I might need to drill down to the metal underfoot plate, and have a metal carrier bolted down to there. From there I can then strap the canister down snug to the carrier.

I'd prefer a metal 5L can, like a mini NATO, but from what I've seen they stay in the standard 20L size, and that's too much for me.

I'd also be happy with 3L, actually.

Let me start a separate thread and see what ideas people have... 😎

·
Premium Member
4,760 Posts
Thanks - those are tough plastic.

Would you be OK securing it flat? I've only seen them installed vertically, standing up.
Rotopax is the premiere brand but twice maybe thrice the price.

·
Premium Member
4,760 Posts
After thinking about it …. The Rotopax knock off I have is heavy even when empty.

The B400 fuel economy even when loaded should still be than the B650 …. I think two 1L aluminum fuel bottle should be fine for you … it’s not like you’ll be off roading … the big thing is to take a syphon hose …. and if you meet a farmer with daughters …. don’t pick watermelons. 🤣

·
Registered
2008 AN400
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
After thinking about it …. The Rotopax knock off I have is heavy even when empty.

The B400 fuel economy even when loaded should still be than the B650 …. I think two 1L aluminum fuel bottle should be fine for you … it’s not like you’ll be off roading … the big thing is to take a syphon hose …. and if you meet a farmer with daughters …. don’t pick watermelons. 🤣
That's a clever idea - that's a solution I didn't think of, but it could be the answer.

There's the camping fuel bottles, which are metal (prolly aluminium, actually), and they're designed for liquid fuel so they should seal well. They look like the adventure sports water bottles, but with a proper seal for petrol.

Yes, I like it...

What would that add? If fuel tank capacity is 13.5L, and I can cover a sure 300km with that... so that one-liter can would add me 22 km? Oh, that's not much, actually! Hmm, that would be at 52 mpg, so it's a bit on the conservative side, but, better that way than too optimistic!

No, I'd need 2 of them, 3 even better - that's still feasible. Bit of a faff filling each one individually, but, I can do that. Maybe they have a 2-liter bottle???

OK, let me go do some research rather than just stream of consciousness here!

Thanks - great creative thinking! :cool:

And yes to the fuel syphon hose, on the list. Yes also to watermelons - in fact, hurray for watermelons!!! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2008 AN400
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 · (Edited)
Reality is, I'm guilty of over-thinking this... a pretty thorough search shows even the remotest, middle-of-friggin'-nowhere areas I'll be riding through are littered with gas stations.

This is the Middle East, where cars rule. I couldn't find ANY road with petrol pumps more than 100 km apart.

This is a remote stretch towards Riyadh, KSA...
Rectangle Slope Parallel Font Water

This is middle of remote Iran:
Ecoregion World Map Line Font

Truth of the matter is I'm more likely to run out of fuel in EU!

Pity, as I really like the adventure feel and added mileage of auxiliary jerry cans :p

I'll should set this to rest, and just buy a 6-pack of 1.5L water bottles, and strap them to the back - and done.

But, maybe... just for fun... ;)

·
Premium Member
19,084 Posts
cool ! I was thinkin like there are still lotsa places in Florida where you got long stretches of nothing and no cell service, gotta send texts by carrier buzzard and Amazon uses alligator delivery.

81 - 100 of 106 Posts