Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
61 - 80 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Burgman 400 - Silver - 8600 miles - and climbing !
398 Posts
Thanks Prossett that's a real thorough, quick primer on "Hammock Doctrine".

In threatening / colder weather,
probably the Tent with sleeping bag + mattress is best

Perhaps in mostly temperate months, take & use that creative Hammock layout and, IF weather threatens, divert to HOTEL ?

Q: Do / will you ever aim for a dedicated Camping / Tent Camping area to sleep the night in your Hammock ? ?

For quick daylight nap option, I picture a quiet corner of the Highway Rest Area being sufficient.

But most of them say "No Overnight Camping" so Hammock there may be a No-Go.

I'm assuming "Loves Travel Stops", and most Truck Stops would frown on Hammocks too.

How do you locate safe overnight area ?

TY - David

·
Registered
2008 AN400
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Q: Do / will you ever aim for a dedicated Camping / Tent Camping area to sleep the night in your Hammock ? ?

How do you locate safe overnight area ?
It's a different world here - prolly one of the lowest crime rates in the world, seriously. I'm in the UAE.

Also, you can camp openly on public land, so here's no real for-pay campgrounds.

The first third of my trip would be quite similar, whether I go east or west; then there's Turkey, which has campgrounds but apparently also thinks camping is fine, especially when traveling and as long as you don't stay long - but I suspect the chances of someone using some muscle to intimidate and carry off some of your belongings is a bit higher; then EU is the last third of the trip, and as I mentioned you can't really wild camp, unless you're really far from a village, and tucked away.

Still, it all depends. I spent 18 months in a small camper truck in EU a few years back, parking just in the street for the night, and nobody ever bothered me. Funny story, early days I was in Budapest and still a bit nervous. I was downtown-ish, tired, lost, late, and there were young revellers mingling about, so I was on edge. I had all my "precautions" in place LOL Middle of the night, actually, early morning, a sharp knock on the side! Bolt upright, in my heaviest, butchest voice, I shout in non-language: "Heh!??" (so they wouldn't know I was a foreigner - I had Hungarian plates).

The answer came in English LOOL: "Your keys.... in the door outside here..."

I'd forgotten the darn keys - car door and ignition, camper door, house key, all - hanging in the driver's side lock!!!

And it was a pick-up truck with a camper back, so no way from the bed to the driver's seat, other than walking around - anyone could have driven off with me in the back!

But nobody did; in fact, no issue whatsoever, and I criss-crossed from Balkans south-east up and across to UK, and then down west all the way to Basque country, and back across and half-way down Italy - but that wasn't in a tent: I had my comfy bed in a nice weatherproof shell every night. Again, no cooking, just for sleeping at night, changing clothes, washing...

In the end, most of our fears are from the inside. Nobody will be interested in molesting an older guy on a crappy overloaded scooter camping out instead of staying in hotels - what will they want? My dirty clothes? My cell phone? My bike? If really the case, they can have it, with my best wishes :)

Ahh, I have a cunning plan for the Burgman :cool::p something I've done with cameras when traveling in the past - basically I added strips of tape, ugly vinyl pieces, ripped stickers, etc., and make it look like it's falling apart LOL They also serve as protection against scratches. Then, peel it all off, it's like new!

·
Super Moderator
6,047 Posts
Their hospitality towards visitors is incredible and a real credit to their culture..sometimes they really go all out...a mountain of food.... Still, it's a lovely cultural tradition from an era where traveling was tough
Very true, it can be very humbling.
Poor people with nothing will go without food in order to feed a stranger/traveller - and if you are the one doing the eating your heart just sinks when you realise.

...is mint tea that you can slice :) is that a thing in UAE?

·
Premium Member
19,084 Posts
yeh, that hospitality thing, we used to keep some local currency in coin with us, if the situation called for it, some coins might accidentally get lost under a rug or something where it would be discovered a couple days after we left, we always set up a fake emergency callback to get us out after a couple hours. military radios din't need cell phone towers so it always worked

·
Premium Member
4,759 Posts
Very true, it can be very humbling.
Poor people with nothing will go without food in order to feed a stranger/traveller - and if you are the one doing the eating your heart just sinks when you realise.

...is mint tea that you can slice :) is that a thing in UAE?

Yes, I was staying with a well to do doctor in India and one of the servant girls begged me to come visit her parents and I casually said … sure I will ….. and I did … they lived in what we would call a small garden shed … six people with one bed…mama, papa slept in the bed grand mother slept under the bed and the three children where ever they could… three of the healthiest and happiest children you ever met each with a perfect radiant smile.

The Chai was mintless but the experience and memory is priceless.

·
Registered
2008 AN400
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 · (Edited)
Might not be necessary, though I've done this on most my rides (except the air-cooled ones 😁) - very simply add some netting to protect the radiator from bouncing stones.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting

Best stuff I've found so far is plastic gutter netting, used to keep leaves out - cheap and tough. Comes in a roll, 15cm by 600, and fits the Burg 400 radiator cover perfectly in one piece!

Fixture Shade Font Rectangle Pattern

Font Auto part Automotive exhaust Synthetic rubber Audio equipment

Won't rust, won't rot - and I just zip-tie it on.

Mesh Automotive exterior Automotive design Font Metal

Now I don't worry about stones getting kicked up by vehicles ahead or dropped by lorries.

Next, clear vinyl to cover and protect the headlights 😎

·
Premium Member
4,759 Posts
Some Burgman owners install a Fender Extender :

Edit….save some money and make your own

·
Administrator
23,648 Posts
A 4 liter antifreeze jug is a good pick to cut a Fender extender from.

Some use 3M double bask tape. Just CLEAN the mating area real good.
I used some binder bolts, the short ones for bolting 3 hole papers into a binder.

Check with a piece of card paper for fitment and trimming then cut up the jug.
These I think are a 650 :
Slope Parallel Rectangle Symmetry Circle
Rectangle Dishware Table Tints and shades Electric blue
Composite material Helmet Gas Tints and shades Cylinder

·
Registered
2008 AN400
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Had a longer testride this weekend - 3 hours of straight highway - and the trust has been built! I'm confident the Burg can cross a continent without issues.

Solid little engine: it's motto could be "6k, all day!" 😎

At 7,000 rpm it gets buzzy, so not really the sweet spot for cruising, but useful to have for passing when needed.

Also, these long straight rides are great to notice every little vibration LOL and the handlebars are giving me too much feedback, and I think it's that front tyre again; linked to the earlier noticed wobbles when hands-free for a moment. It's the previous owner's tyre, and 7 years old - I already have the new one at home but I was thinking to swap it just before the real trip... I might have to do that earlier than planned.

Also, maybe something like the Grip Puppies?

Do they make a difference?

Bottle Alcoholic beverage Font Drink Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
19,084 Posts
grip puppies will change the outer diametr of your handlebars, and heat and cold charachteristics, but vibration and feedback , not really, think about it, the burg soesn't fight you, it doesn't have a clutch you gotta be squoxin a lot,. there's no need to keep a firm grip on it, a VERY light grip is fine, ride guarded, fingers draped over the brake levers, thumb hangin below the bar elbows bent, basically usin the bars to rest your hands on to keep them fron draggin on the pavement, Kinda like you put yer hand over yer money on the table at the Kitty Kat Klub.

If you ain't squeezin, you won't git the feelin an squeeze too tight , it ain't right :devilish:

·
Premium Member
15,253 Posts
Had a longer testride this weekend - 3 hours of straight highway - and the trust has been built! I'm confident the Burg can cross a continent without issues.

Solid little engine: it's motto could be "6k, all day!" 😎

At 7,000 rpm it gets buzzy, so not really the sweet spot for cruising, but useful to have for passing when needed.

Also, these long straight rides are great to notice every little vibration LOL and the handlebars are giving me too much feedback, and I think it's that front tyre again; linked to the earlier noticed wobbles when hands-free for a moment. It's the previous owner's tyre, and 7 years old - I already have the new one at home but I was thinking to swap it just before the real trip... I might have to do that earlier than planned.

Also, maybe something like the Grip Puppies?

Do they make a difference?

View attachment 101040
I’ve put the puppies on all my bikes, except a bagger that had very large grips. They make the diameter bigger, and they’re softer, even when you’re not in a death grip.

Reactions: Dave_J and prossett

·
Registered
2008 AN400
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 · (Edited)
Think I should first address the root cause - the old front tyre.

It was a good ride today. Second with the Burg. It ran solid, didn't skip a beat. Like it was built for long-distance touring 8)

I think we're a green light on the bike choice front. It's passed the mech check, passed the performance capabilities, and today gave me confidence it will run all day over distance.

I'm delighted... 😂

Next we move to the mods and adjustments phase 😎

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Think I should first address the root cause - the old front tyre.

It was a good ride today. Second with the Burg. It ran solid, didn't skip a beat. Like it was built for long-distance touring 8)

I think we're a green light on the bike choice front. It's passed the mech check, passed the performance capabilities, and today gave me confidence it will run all day over distance.

See, I'm delighted... 😂

View attachment 101048

Next we move to the mods phase 😎
You are checking all the boxes, always good news to be pleased with your purchase choices (y)

·
Administrator
23,648 Posts
My sons Kawasaki Ninja 500 has handlebar brackets that bolt on the top triple tree. The bracket is aluminum and the steel bars can be taken off.
He was having problems of buzzy hands. We first tried Grip Puppy's and they did help some. His bar ends were light plastic so we 'BINNED' them. I heated the steel bars to about 150 degrees F and then poured molten lead inside to make them heavier. We then used my last set of Burgman 650 bar ends.

No more buz in the bars.

A friend rider used 'Bar Snake' inside his bars on a Suzuki Calacade full tour bike to remove a slight shake in his hands. For years you could not find Bar Snake but now you can. See link below

About Bar Snake

·
Registered
2008 AN400
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 · (Edited)
Starting to eye the cargo capacity of the Burgman 400... actually think it's all going to fit on the bike!

Automotive design Flooring Wood Luggage and bags Curtain

I'll have to share some lists once it's firmed up.

For now:
  • All bike tools and many spares, including v-belt, brake pads, inline fuel filter, lightbulbs, filters, as well as air compressor, booster cables, and all sorts of ABS glue and trickery to keep the Tupperware from falling off, etc.
  • Night camping gear: tarp, hammock, bivvy in case I really can't string my hammock, sleeping bag, proper pillow, mattress, extra blanket if I'm feeling lonely, headlamp...
  • Day camping gear: mess kit, SoloStove and wind shield, tinder box, wash bucket, Canadian belt knife, wet wipes for 90 days - large and biodegradable, no further comment. Even a folding chair and table! Coffee and tea, with mug. Lots of paracord. Flip-flops to give the old toes some air...
  • Beach bag, because I'm a beach bum! Water shoes and goggles, Bengali wrap, towel, and sunscreen. Wish I could bring a spear...
  • Blue dry bags for clothes, for cold and warm weather (not including riding gear). The usual underlayers, and presentable, out-on-the-town pants and shirt. Wooly cap and socks, because I know what cold feels like, and how to avoid it...
  • Toiletries bag: toothpaste, deodorant, you know, body and hair soap, no fancy conditioner... Beard balm because I'm a hairy *******, but I like to smell good...
  • Technology bag, soft protection for tablet and chargers and few other digital wizzamabangs, redundant chargers, cables, and adaptors, as well as solar battery. Cell phone is my lifeline - no compromise on this.
  • And lastly, never to be opened, but always at the ready, First Aid / survival kit.

I really think this is all going to fit on the bike first try - the Burgman has a whale of a belly!

Strap a soft bag onto the back, and I reckon this will turn out to be the easiest bike packing endeavour of all! 😎

Stand by and wish me luck!

·
Premium Member
15,253 Posts
Starting to eye the cargo capacity of the Burgman 400... actually think it's all going to fit on the bike!

View attachment 101069

I'll have to share some lists once it's firmed up.

For now:
  • All bike tools and many spares, including v-belt, brake pads, inline fuel filter, lightbulbs, filters, as well as air compressor, booster cables, and all sorts of ABS glue and trickery to keep the Tupperware from falling off, etc.
  • Night camping gear: tarp, hammock, bivvy in case I really can't string my hammock, sleeping bag, proper pillow, mattress, extra blanket if I'm feeling lonely, headlamp...
  • Day camping gear: mess kit, SoloStove and wind shield, tinder box, wash bucket, Canadian belt knife, wet wipes for 90 days - large and biodegradable, no further comment. Even a folding chair and table! Coffee and tea, with mug. Lots of paracord. Flip-flops to give the old toes some air...
  • Beach bag, because I'm a beach bum! Water shoes and goggles, Bengali wrap, towel, and sunscreen. Wish I could bring a spear...
  • Blue dry bags for clothes, for cold and warm weather (not including riding gear). The usual underlayers, and presentable, out-on-the-town pants and shirt. Wooly cap and socks, because I know what cold feels like, and how to avoid it...
  • Toiletries bag: toothpaste, deodorant, you know, body and hair soap, no fancy conditioner... Beard balm because I'm a hairy ***, but I like to smell good...
  • Technology bag, soft protection for tablet and chargers and few other digital wizzamabangs, redundant chargers, cables, and adaptors, as well as solar battery. Cell phone is my lifeline - no compromise on this.
  • And lastly, never to be opened, but always at the ready, First Aid / survival kit.

I really think this is all going to fit on the bike first try - the Burgman has a whale of a belly!

Strap a soft bag onto the back, and I reckon this will turn out to be the easiest bike packing endeavour of all! 😎

Stand by and wish me luck!
I can understand the table and chairs, but I think the linen cabinet and all those pillows is a bit excessive.

61 - 80 of 106 Posts