Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
181 - 197 of 197 Posts

· Registered
2008 AN400
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #181 · (Edited)
Ah, good question!

I do have an issue with a steel plate in my leg, from a motorcycle crash when I was 15 (nasty one, but that's another story altogether!) but the stick is actually a bit of both. It helps me keep balance at times, but it also feels good to have a whacking stick in hand.

Not that I'm illuding myself that I could Jackie Chan myself out of trouble :LOL: I mean, Sria, for instance has just come through 10 years of civil war that has reduced their cities to rubble, so imagine how hard they'd laugh to see me lift my little cane!!! LOOOOL

But it's handy when I'm camping as there are nasty skinny wild dogs around. We do get a few out here, and they're in packs. I learned you either pretend to pick up a stone, and they rapidly move beyond reach (obviously they're experienced) or you pick up a stick and they're gone into the shadows.

And so I started carrying a nice stick when I travel. It's carbon fiber, so super-strong - I mean, I could stand on it with all my weight! But it's also so useful for long walks and many other things.

I still need to find a way to mount it onto the Burg, but I already have an idea.

If you're interested, it's Cold Steel, but I think it's discontinued, though.

· Registered
1,622 Posts
And so we are left with Irn up to Trky - which was my first choice all along, as I admire the history and culture, despite the recent bubbling.

Two months to go, and it's decision time... this is where it becomes either genius or the stupidest thing ever. Burgman is ready, I'm ready...general situation not totally rosy and peachy.

Any advice?
Yes - Read these.

Travel advise - Link 1
Travel advise - Link 2
Travel advise - Link 3

(Sorry to be a party :poop:er). :(

But I DO wish you well if you do decide to go that route - seriously.

· Registered
2008 AN400
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #188 ·
Yes, through Greece into EU.

Irn is a bit of a puzzle, as travellers' reports sing its praises, and from what I've read, it's marvelous in so many ways for the visiting tourist. The issue over decades has been of course the relations with western countries, and also Arab neighbors. But even with that backdrop, travellers still report amazingly kind people and awesome sights, food, markets, etc. But recent street protests have darkened the prospects beyond foreign relations, as they increase the chances of a tourist being in the wrong place, wrong time scenario - and explaining why "just by chance" happened, could be unpleasant. Indeed, local news articles have been blaming western influence for fomenting protests, and a convenient scapegoat scootering through unawares is not who I want to be. Case in point this news from last Oct: Iran arrests 14 foreigners, including U.S. citizens, over unrest -Fars

I think it's time for patience and seeing if the situation improves in the next 6 weeks.

My plan B remains a 7,000 km roundtrip to the Holy Land, which although not reaching EU, would be an epic once-in-a-lifetime trip nonetheless. We'll see.

· Administrator
16,975 Posts
Instead of carrying a full tool to hold the Vairator why not just 3 L brackets and long bolts like in this post.

I hold the variator on my 2008 400 with three L brackets and some leftover bolts. I've used this on 4 different 400's, and a couple of Vespa GTS 300s. I hate paying for a tool that only gets used every other year.
View attachment 103273

· Registered
2008 AN400
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #190 ·
Instead of carrying a full tool to hold the Vairator why not just 3 L brackets and long bolts like in this post.
That is very clever!! 8) Thank you - a far better solution, and one I neither saw in my searches, nor thought of on my own.

Brilliant! Easy, light, cheap, and takes up hardly any space at all!

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Gear Automotive design

· Registered
99 Posts
Yes, through Greece into EU.

Irn is a bit of a puzzle, as travellers' reports sing its praises, and from what I've read, it's marvelous in so many ways for the visiting tourist. The issue over decades has been of course the relations with western countries, and also Arab neighbors. But even with that backdrop, travellers still report amazingly kind people and awesome sights, food, markets, etc. But recent street protests have darkened the prospects beyond foreign relations, as they increase the chances of a tourist being in the wrong place, wrong time scenario - and explaining why "just by chance" happened, could be unpleasant. Indeed, local news articles have been blaming western influence for fomenting protests, and a convenient scapegoat scootering through unawares is not who I want to be. Case in point this news from last Oct: Iran arrests 14 foreigners, including U.S. citizens, over unrest -Fars

I think it's time for patience and seeing if the situation improves in the next 6 weeks.

My plan B remains a 7,000 km roundtrip to the Holy Land, which although not reaching EU, would be an epic once-in-a-lifetime trip nonetheless. We'll see.
People are generally the same everywhere.
Politicians …..Thats a whole new chapter !

I know someone who is the support driver for Globe Busters motorcycle tours ( ex Royal Marine Commando as is the owner Kevin Sanders ) they do trips such as London to Beijing or down through the Americas and go through some pretty dodgy places and have always returned safe . There is an excellent article on their website about getting you and your motorcycle across borders safely that maybe worth a read HERE.
Also there used to be I think ? ( could be wrong ) a ferry service from Egypt to Cyprus and then another from Cyprus to mainland Greece but like I say I could be wrong, but another possible route to look into ? Incidentally Kevin Sanders of Globebusters HERE and the totally crazy Nick Sanders ( no relation) have both held the World record for fastest circumnavigation of the World and have certainly hit some snags and BTW ferries were allowed .
NICK SANDERS

· Registered
2008 AN400
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #192 ·
Nice ferry cruise up the Med would be nice 8)

Good break in between long distances on the scooter, too... and I suppose also a well-stocked swingin' sailor's lounge! Arrrrr!!

Great advice - appreciated.

· Premium Member
8,539 Posts
People are generally the same everywhere.
I been in 13 counries and 12 of our states, I found people to be different everywhere, with 2 exceptions, when yer wallet is out and when yu fart

• Haha
Reactions: prossett

· Premium Member
4,251 Posts
“People are generally the same everywhere.”

I’ve noticed this mostly with mothers and about 80% as often with dads.

It’s the free flying young that fly unpredictable around the flame until fate kills them or makes them parents….then the normalcy and that sameness sets in.

(P.S. Don’t worry about the remaining 20% of dads
that’s what Legends or Blues Ballads are made of.)

· Registered
2008 AN400
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #197 ·
Yeah, I suggested that before...
Yes, indeed. I followed up at that time but found the services had been suspended (war and covid, I suppose). I'm now seeing if any have restored the routes. There also used to be ferries out of Lebanon and Israel, as well as Egypt.

181 - 197 of 197 Posts