Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just two months ago when I was comparing the options : Honda Yamaha or Suzuki I was offered to buy a special model of the Honda Jazz 250 which came directly from Japan (other models are assembled in Italy) it was equipped with an ABS system among other options.
I assume that soon we will see it on other scooters too.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
The Honda NSS250 (aka Forza/Jazz/Reflex) and the Honda Silverwings both have optional ABS. You currently can only get ABS on the Burgman 650 Executive. I think ABS would make the Burgman more attractive to many buyers if it was available as an option too.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
When and if scooter sales start to get noticed by the motorcycle company's I think ABS will be added to the
list of reasons to buy,
It's a shame but I bet you can also expect the price will go up a few hundred dollars per unit. :(
ABS would be worth it .. But the scooters are a little over priced now which is keeping sales down.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Honda charges $500 (retail) for the ABS on the Reflex and Silverwings. I think it's a bit pricey, but they do sell.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The price of the ABS

In Israel there is a reduction of the taxes if the vehicle is equipped with safety features like ABS so the additional cost for the ABS is minimal.
I belive that once it is available most of the people will go for it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
A progressive tax, such as what you have in Israel, in the US is a rarity. The only break that we might get is in insurance.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Sadly, Honda have not offered ABS as an option on their 2004 NSS250, and neither have Yamaha, or Suzuki on their 250/400cc big-scoots. It's a shame, but the market didn't take to ABS (due to the inherant conservative nature of motorcyclists) and obviously the manufacturers think that pneumatic combined braking systems are more ecomonical that ABS whilst giving many of the benefits of the expensive electrical system.

I own a Honda CB1100 x11 naked fitted with CBS and can confirm that it only falls a little short of ABS. However, my ownership of an NSS250 ABS tells me that it iscertainly a nice to have. My AN650 has neither combined brakes or ABS, and whilst the brakes are powerful in the dry, you are not able to brake as confidently in panic situations with on the 650 as you can on the ABS NSS250 or CBS CB1100 x11.

I hope that we will see a return to ABS as top fo the options list, but the indications are that it may not. :cry:

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
lycheed said:
Sadly, Honda have not offered ABS as an option on their 2004 NSS250
According to the US Honda website, the Reflex has has ABS available for both the 2004s and 2005s. You can also get the new Reflex Sport with ABS.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Honda NSS 250 w ABS

Our Honda distributor decided to import a few NSS 250 (Jazz) with both options : ABS for safety and Automatic stop/start feature (I dont remember the exact name) to reduce air pollution.

·
Registered
639 Posts
ABS

I just sent another e-mail to Suzuki Canada requesting they bring in Burgman 650's with ABS brakes (don't care if it's the Executive). Got a reply from their Customer Service people who politely told me (again!) that there are no plans to bring ABS into Canada in 2005.

I want ABS on my Burgy 650 when I buy one in the Spring. Don't want to have to wait until 06 or 07 for it. It's a safety feature that is available now in other parts of the world, and there is no logical reason why we can't have it here now.

Now I am fed up with dealing with the low guys on the totem pole and going after the President of Suzuki Canada. It's the squeeky wheel that gets the grease and I know how to squeek! Squeek! Squeek!

Reg

·
Registered
367 Posts
billmeek said:
Honda charges $500 (retail) for the ABS on the Reflex and Silverwings. I think it's a bit pricey, but they do sell.
As I read through this thread again I started thinking about the 'priceyness' of ABS at, oh, $625 CDN and I realized that I just paid somewhere around $675 for a Givi box, bracket and pad.
I actually bought them for my wife's piece of mind and the storage space was a throw in, so would I pay $625 for a safety item like ABS?
Yep! Since I get to drive in real winter I have experienced the advantage of ABS first hand, might have been on 4 wheels but I do realize the value.

Just my nickel's worth on the cost of ABS. Wonder if it can be retro fitted...

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have the executive with ABS and it does seem to work. It is very hard to get out of 25 years riding habit to fully trust the ABS
I actually tested it last week (offroad), after building up my confidence with it. I did a full power emergency stop from 25mph on a wet slippery road. I slammed both brakes on full power and it stopped.......very quickly and without a skid :)
I always thought you would feel when the ABS was working, but I have not to date.
I am sure it would be a lifesaver in the right conditions.

Andy

·
Registered
639 Posts
abs

The convincer for me was last year when my Wife and I took a BMW K1200LT for a demo ride. It had ABS and I tried my hardest to get that "big and heavy" bike to skid on wet pavement and loose gravel. It worked just as it was suppose to. I was sold!

ABS should be standard on all motorcycles! The price is well worth your life!

Reg

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Re: abs

vfdcaptain said:
The convincer for me was last year when my Wife and I took a BMW K1200LT for a demo ride. It had ABS and I tried my hardest to get that "big and heavy" bike to skid on wet pavement and loose gravel. It worked just as it was suppose to. I was sold!

ABS should be standard on all motorcycles! The price is well worth your life!

Reg
Reg

I agree with you and I hope you manage to 'talk' to the President of Suzuki Canada. Just don't go signing any non-disclosure agreements - so you can then tell us all the outcome!

The wet, snow, ice are the most obvious conditions when we can see how useful ABS can be, but it is also those more innocous or harder to see hazards, loose road surface, gravel and spilled diesel fuel where it can also be a life saver (and ££$$ too!).

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
The reason I want the 650 Executive is the ABS. As I understand it, the Executive is about $1000 more than just the 650. I'd still pay the difference.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I'd still pay the difference
So would I. Life is too short to be spending time in the hospital!

Because of moderate weather here, a lot of people ride their bikes year around. Although we very seldom get snow in Victoria, we do get more rain in the winter time and with all the oil on the road, it can get slippery at times. Those white lines are also a potential hazard. That's why I think ABS should be standard on all bikes. The price is only more expensive now because so few models come with them.

To me, at least, ABS is as important as the personal protective equipment that I always wear. At 20 I thought I was indestructable, now at 54, I know that I am not!

Reg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts