Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Soooooon
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I’ve been reading through your posts for the last few weeks and am about to pull the trigger on a 400 here in the LA area.

I’m not used to paying msrp let alone mark ups so I thought I’d see if anyone else has had any luck hagggling. The 200s are all on sale but not the 400s

I feel like massive markups are coming to an end, but negotiations are still not what they used to be.

any data points for me?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Most motorcycle shops have little mark up to begin with, but with it being spring and gas prices being high (therefore demand for bikes is high), you are not likely to get any sort of discount.

If you actually found what you wanted, consider yourself lucky and go for a ride on your new burgman.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Paid MSRP for both scooters I purchased during last 12 months. If I used credit card for the 400, the dealer wanted $300 more. Units were clearly in short supply. We all know what happens to prices under these conditions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Soooooon
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Paid MSRP for both scooters I purchased during last 12 months. If I used credit card for the 400, the dealer wanted $300 more. Units were clearly in short supply. We all know what happens to prices under these conditions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Beyond msrp, what about the set up and freight fees? I know some of that is standard, but almost 1200?

and don’t even get me started about taxes :)

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I would hold out for a used one.

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
The shops I've dealt with are good with "out-the-door" cash offers. I've offered and gotten MSRP OTD (or sometimes less), so that saved taxes and other fees. But that was a different time and place...

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just bought a 2022 less than a month ago.. I resigned myself to the fact I was paying MSRP. I balked at both add-ons. I ended up not paying “set-up”. Paid destination/freight. I’m okay with that. I worked in the industry many years ago. We both (me & stealership) both knew they get reimbursed for a portion of these fees.. I was also aware of the current climate of supply chain and limited inventory. We both seemed equally annoyed with the transaction. Seemed like a textbook definition of a good deal.

Truth be told, there’s not a ton of meat on the bone with scooter sales. It’s always been the case in the industry going back to the 80’s.. I get that. I want my local motorcycle shop to succeed. I have benefited from building relationships with dealerships over the years, that far exceeds me getting a bike $300 under MSRP. However , it’s a two way street. Whether we like it or not, there are customers out there willing to pay markup. I dont know much.. but I know that’s between those two parties . I’m just getting too old to b!tch abiut stuff I can’t control. Sorry for the ramble . Good luck. Sounds like you’re getting great advice.

·
Registered
215 Posts
The big Piaggio dealer here in Denver tacks on almost $800 worth of crap not including taxes on every used scooter regardless of price. What the hell is a reconditioning fee? 50cc scooters in Colorado don't require tags or plates. What do you get for your $345 doc fee here? I buy used, from a private party. Outside of shoes, I buy nothing new.
Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Electronic device

·
Registered
Soooooon
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The big Piaggio dealer here in Denver tacks on almost $800 worth of crap not including taxes on every used scooter regardless of price. What the hell is a reconditioning fee? 50cc scooters in Colorado don't require tags or plates. What do you get for your $345 doc fee here? I buy used, from a private party. Outside of shoes, I buy nothing new.
View attachment 98542
I respect that you draw the line at shoes. Underwear, I hope too

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
A member on the list here was looking at a 2022 400 at Ride Now in Vegas. With the add on fees the out the door price was 11,000.00. Included was a battery plan they put on all bikes and he was told it is non negotiable. He ended up going to Euro Cycle and found a 2022 C400 GT traded in with 2000 miles and out the door price was 9,000.00. Included the three year warranty. He said he was treated better at the BMW dealer. I think Ride Now makes most of their income on Razors and side by sides and if your don't accept their fees on motorcycles you can take it or leave it.

Reactions: Abner Bjorn

·
Registered
215 Posts
I got some skivvies,,, you in the market?
Funny you mention that. My line used to be The only things I buy new are underwear and shoes. Last Tuesday at ARC (half priced senior day) I picked up a half dozen pair of Hanes boxer shorts in my size for $1.00 each. My wife made me wash them before I could wear them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just bought a 2022 less than a month ago.. I resigned myself to the fact I was paying MSRP. I balked at both add-ons. I ended up not paying “set-up”. Paid destination/freight. I’m okay with that. I worked in the industry many years ago. We both (me & stealership) both knew they get reimbursed for a portion of these fees.. I was also aware of the current climate of supply chain and limited inventory. We both seemed equally annoyed with the transaction. Seemed like a textbook definition of a good deal.

Truth be told, there’s not a ton of meat on the bone with scooter sales. It’s always been the case in the industry going back to the 80’s.. I get that. I want my local motorcycle shop to succeed. I have benefited from building relationships with dealerships over the years, that far exceeds me getting a bike $300 under MSRP. However , it’s a two way street. Whether we like it or not, there are customers out there willing to pay markup. I dont know much.. but I know that’s between those two parties . I’m just getting too old to b!tch abiut stuff I can’t control. Sorry for the ramble . Good luck. Sounds like you’re getting great advice.
There is a definite pearl of wisdom.
"I am getting to old to bitch about things I have no control over".

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just a thought Go to cycle trader look for advanced search input your parameters and sort by lowest price first you probably would need to purchase in California for registration purposes but at least you can see if anybody is discounting or at least get a price trend

·
Registered
28 Posts
Beyond msrp, what about the set up and freight fees? I know some of that is standard, but almost 1200?

and don’t even get me started about taxes :)
How about the $499 battery protection package Ridenow Rancho, Las Vegas, quoted as an add on to their 2022 Burgman 400? Plus dealer setup fee, documentation package, freight and sales tax on top of all of it. The total was $11,400 out the door, so I went out the door.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey guys, I’ve been reading through your posts for the last few weeks and am about to pull the trigger on a 400 here in the LA area.

I’m not used to paying msrp let alone mark ups so I thought I’d see if anyone else has had any luck hagggling. The 200s are all on sale but not the 400s

I feel like massive markups are coming to an end, but negotiations are still not what they used to be.

any data points for me?
I just purchased a 2022 Burgman 400. I love it. Upgraded from a 2014 Burg. $10,025 out the door.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts