Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was all set to trade my FZ1 on a used 2003 Burgman 650 with about 1,500 miles, Givi box and grip heaters for $6000. Called them this morning, but by the time I got there in the afternoon it was sold :(

The store manager felt my pain and offered me a pretty good deal on a brand new Burgman 650LX. That's the ABS/electric mirrors model. Basically, he discounted the bike by $1,500 and offered me $5,800 trade-in on my 2001 FZ1, which has 15,500 miles and needs new tires. All said and done, the new ride would cost me $4k. But if I figure in the cost of new tires (had I kept the FZ1) and what I can sell the FZ1's accessories for, that brings the price down to about $2,600.

I had thought maybe I should wait for the new electric screen version at the end of January but the dealer said he wouldn't be able to give me a similar discount for about a year. So I'd be paying at least a grand extra, if not more, over the current ABS model. Doesn't seem worth it to me....

So I've got tonight to think about it. Any recommendations? :p

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Honestly myself if there were no differences mechanically between the 2 I would say get it. However one of the biggest complaints of the Burgman is its windscreen. Also the newest model has an overdrive on it which will help with fuel milage on the highways. I know it's not my money but I would wait. Who knows maybe at the end of January there will still be some old 650LX's available and you could still swing that deal if the new one is way out of your price range.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Let's assume the stock shield doesn't fit you and you need to replace it. $200 should (way) more than cover it. That leaves $800 difference. You can ride a lot of miles on $800 worth of fuel. Being cheap ... urrmm ... frugle, I'd probably go for the savings. It's your money though ...

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Go for the deal!

Electric screen is nice - but not that nice.
Overdrive - PAH! - believe it when I see it.
Go for it!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments. If I was in Europe where highway cruising speeds are about 80mph, I might think the overdrive is worthwhile, but here in Japan, the highway speedlimit is only 60mph, and consistently cruising over 70ish is asking for trouble so the OD isn't really a consideration. The electric windscreen, on the other hand, could be worthwhile depending on what kind of range it has..... Anyone have any idea about this. The dealer said the electric screen moved about 10cm, but he wasn't sure whether the low position was the same as the current standard model's screen.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Twinrider, are you looking at a Skywave 650LX? My local dealer tells me no electric windscreen or overdrive on the current models.

But if those features are coming later, it's good I'm not impatient.

The more gadgets, the better. :D

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Andre, my Suzuki dealer -- whose shop is directly affiliated with Suzuki HQ -- tells me the new LX with the adjustable screen/od will be out around the end of January. The current LX that I'm considering doesn't have those features but does have a healthy discount.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Windscreen

Twinrider said:
Andre, my Suzuki dealer -- whose shop is directly affiliated with Suzuki HQ -- tells me the new LX with the adjustable screen/od will be out around the end of January. The current LX that I'm considering doesn't have those features but does have a healthy discount.
I wonder if the adjustable feature woud be available later as an add on?
Either by the factory (doubtful), or by some of us enterprising Burg Meisters?
:wink:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Where you live, I think I'd go for the discount. Where I live, I'd wait for the Overdrive option. The adjustable screen would be nice, but depending on your height, you might still have to fit an aftermarket windscreen.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Windscreen

lilleyen said:
I wonder if the adjustable feature woud be available later as an add on?
Either by the factory (doubtful), or by some of us enterprising Burg Meisters?
:wink:
Well, like my dealer pointed out, adding it would require a change to the wiring harness, the addition of the screen, screen motor, etc. All in all, it probably could be done but no doubt it would cost $$$.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
pauljo said:
Where you live, I think I'd go for the discount. Where I live, I'd wait for the Overdrive option. The adjustable screen would be nice, but depending on your height, you might still have to fit an aftermarket windscreen.
Good point about the screen height, Pauljo. I'm going to ask the dealer tomorrow if he can give me a firmer price on the new model and decide from there.....

·
Registered
969 Posts
At just under 6', I'm more than happy with my aftermarket screen (even though I look through it now). At way less than $200 U.S. I'd think that might be the way to go.

Steve

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
More discussions with my dealer today. He's not sure of the exact price of the new '05 LX but he think it's going to be similar to the current model. So he said for about $900 more he can probably sell me the '05. Given that the new one will have the electric screen, overdrive, ambient temp gauge, fuel consumption meter, etc., I decided it was worth the extra cash. So I'm giving him my FZ1 on Thursday and waiting for the new bike -- hopefully will arrive by the end of January. If it turns out to be much more expensive than he expected, he'll still sell me a current '04 ABS LX for the same price he agreed to yesterday. So it seems that I can't lose either way :p

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
pauljo said:
Jim,

Sounds good! I hope you get the '05 so that you can fill us in on how the new features work! :wink:
You bet! Hope the factory has all the new features sorted  :shock:

Btw, fwiw the dealer also said the new model will have a quieter CVT unit and an immobilizer in addition to the above-mentioned changes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts