Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Sat we were invited to participate in a memorial "dice run", by local bar owner. He won a Harley Sportser last year, paid $20 bucks for the ticket, he said geat bike for the price. He used to own a Goldwing.
Anyway we meet @ noon, there was about 20 Harley's there in full leathers and gear (no helmets), we thought "oh boy", here we are the only one's with helmets. We do normaly where leather jackets, though not with all the "flair" they have on.

ABATE of Wisconsin, Inc. is a motorcycle rights and safety organization (not a club) dedicated to "Freedom of the Road". They were promoting "All 2 wheelers" so we joined the run.
Being 1 of 2 Non Harleys there I knew this would be interisting.
We all headed out in smaller seperate groups.
The ride to the 1st stop was the bar owner, me and another Harley they lead and crused about 50-55 mph. The rest kept their distance, I summized they didn't know how well a newcommer rides in a group so they just observed.
The ride to the 2nd stop was the bar owner, his brother on an older goldwing and me, no one behind us crused about 55 mph.
Ride to the 3rd. stop (same 3 of us) we were passed by 6 Harleys
Ride to the 4th stop. crusing at 60mph-65 mph with 6-8 in front of us.
Ride to the 5th stop. crusing at 60-65 and 6-8 behind us at a distance
Ride back to the starting point crused at 70-75 mph with 10 behind us (2 bike lenght's) in tight formation.

At each stop every one was very friendly, with no bike slamming. This seemed to be an open minded goup, from 20-60 yrs old. One of the women was complaining about her sore butt when we were outside, then me and her looked at the seat on the Burgman and then the Goldwing at the same time, I said nothing, then she said, "don't say anything, and shut up", then she laughed.

When we got back and did the dice rolls and door prize drawings, there was 50 regesterd people on the run, we had free food and beer. The total run took about 5 hrs and about 120 miles total, averaging 20 miles between stops.

Aparrently me and the Burger could keep up enough in speed and handeling, 2 up, to warrent an invite to join them this weekend. I ride staggered formation they rode side by side. We all respected each others way of riding, and I could tell they must do this very often, as they seemed very comfortable doing 70 mph ish in a tight group.
Me and my wife had a good time, and are considering going again, if time allows.

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ABATE Part 2

Yesterday was or 2nd poker run with this org. Starting out at 11:30, with our son and about 50 others. Included were 2 sportbikes, 1 newer Beemer, 1 Goldwing, 1 Burgman 650 and about 45 Harleys (10-15 Full Dressers, and the balance Crusers).
The temps were about 50 and sunny, with winds @15mph from the south. The worst part is stopping (the cold), 5 stops for 10-15 min. in 4 hrs. There was only 1 person with heated gear (Beemer), and he was given crap about it, but in a friendly way. One woman wore 2 Leather jackets. We had sweat pants on under our jeans, and sweatshirts under our leathers.
We bonded well with everone, now having 2 things in common, bikes and the cold. There seems to be acceptace for "Mega Scooters" in general. The guy on the Beemer was whining, the other day he was passed while crusing @ 75, by a "**** scooter" (Silverwing). I think he was pissed, the Beemer was $25K and the scooter wasn,t (arrogant). I still managed to compliment him on the power windshield though. More questions were asked about Mega Scooters, RE: Power, Speed, Storage etc. Someone riding a Full Dresser (bagger) said ( in a wisper to me) he needs to start thinking about getting one. The conseneces of the othere riders seemed to be, this is the future and they know it. Still it is nice to ride in a group with open minded people, it is a slower paced ride.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Jim wrote

Still it is nice to ride in a group with open minded people, it is a slower paced ride.
The slow pace ride is nice, But what's unusual is the opened minded group .
Sounds like a fun way to spend a day :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts