Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

How many Miles on your 650 before the CVT failed for one reason or another ?

Votes: 1 25.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Greater than 50,000

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Still going with more than 50,000 Miles

Votes: 2 50.0%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2005 Burgman 650 Executive
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 650, which I got as a winter project. 88,000 Km. Approximately 55,000 Miles.
I have the engine out and the CVT removed from the engine.
The Primary shaft bolt has sheared off flush or slightly below the Primary Shaft spline. (input to the CVT)
The adapter is M.IA. and the primary shaft spline is stripped of all splines.
I hope to gain some knowledge on how to repair this failure from other members.
Every Boy needs a hobby :-}

· Administrator
16,968 Posts
The CVT's splines can not be repaired, will need a new/used Primary Pulley. Look inside the hollow spline areas to see if they are damaged too. If so, its a parts only bike......

Wish I could help but I am about 280km's (3 hours) south of you. (Auburn WA to Vancouver BC)

· Premium Member
8,533 Posts
mine was improper maintenance, not the cvt's fault, so, is it really a cvt failure? i think not

· Premium Member
8,533 Posts
I didn't check the stopper bolt, when the belt broke my new and improved longer and harder bolt was flat 1/4 inch deep across diameter and at least 5/8 inch down from tip toward threads, the updated bolt still needs to be checked and replaced, I check it every oil change now, so easy to do,

not sure if it's in the owners or service manual for the 15 model

· Registered
574 Posts
Don't think it's in any service / maintainance stuff. Just a recommendation from owners experience with these failing.
Unless someone knows different.
Unless of course when Suzuki uprated the bolt they issued something, but I doubt it.

· Registered
965 Posts
I didn't check the stopper bolt, when the belt broke my new and improved longer and harder bolt was flat 1/4 inch deep across diameter and at least 5/8 inch down from tip toward threads, the updated bolt still needs to be checked and replaced, I check it every oil change now, so easy to do,

not sure if it's in the owners or service manual for the 15 model
My ‘revised’ 2013 owners manual makes no mention of periodic inspections of this somewhat easily accessible bolt, yet lists much more involved periodic maintenance items such as valve clearance, and throttle valve synchronization….. Seems pretty negligent on Suzuki’s part, to not simply add the bolt condition check into the newer owners manuals , when it can cause such catastrophic CVT damage. It also seems this issue has been known since before 2013.

· Registered
2005 Burgman 650 Executive
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replys. The female splines are in perfect condition.
So the minimum I would need is a primary pully assembly and a new belt. Even though the belt may not be broken. Once the CVT is apart I would be crazy not to replace it, considering the work involved to get to this point.
So I might be able to get this turd back on the road, fingers crossed. Taking this thing apart sure has increased my confidence in my mechanical abilities anyway. I Should never have sold my Vespa GTS 250 !! What a fun scooter, even though I had to wear a brown paper bag over my helmet, in case
somebody I knew recognized me. 😎

· Administrator
16,968 Posts
PM 'TheReaper' to see if he has any CVT's or parts yet. Shipping may be the killer.

Just so you know, the CVT from a 2002 thru 2018 will fit if you use all the 2005 connectors. The 2011 up are better.

Reactions: wspollack

· Administrator
16,968 Posts
Airfiddler, I sent a PM about CVT.

About the Poll, I can only vote once but I have 3 Burgman 650's that went OVER 50,000 miles.
2003 at 54,000 miles
2008 at 64,000 miles
2003 at 55,000 miles

1 - 11 of 11 Posts