Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine is moving and had some JBL computer speakers that he didn't want. He gave them to me, and I noticed on the AC adapter that the output is 12V, 1.0A. So I had this idea...can I cut the adapter off and wire the power for the speaker to come straight from my bike, and use this speaker to listen to my tunes while I'm riding? I tried the speakers and they work and certainly seem loud enough if I mount the speaker behind he windshield. Maybe I can wire a power adapter plug or USB plug on the speaker? I know it wouldn't be waterproof, but I think I can work around that.

Let the ridicule begin! :toothy7:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I called a friend who is an electrical engineer and he assured me that it would work fine, so I went ahead with the project. Easy to wire it all up. Works great. Just have to figure out how to secure the speakers to the bike.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I have been using a similar set up for years! I mounted my speakers in an enclosure and mounted on the pillion seat and the sub woofer in the trunk. Most PC speaker systems are 12 volt DC and the amp is very efficient!

[/URL

·
Registered
770 Posts
Whats the power draw? Can the electrical system handle it?

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
For mine it is a 1 amp draw peak. I cannibalized an old Cambridge PC system.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tested my configuration. At speeds up to about 45 mph, I have no problem hearing my music. At 55 mph or higher, there's too much wind/motor noise to be able to hear it clearly. So I'm changing tactics. I bought a 180w 12v amplifier and 2 100w waterproof speakers, which I will install as soon as they arrive. Should be plenty for listening at highway speeds. Total cost: just under $55.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts