Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been shopping for an upgrade to my 13 Burg 400. I do LOTS of highway miles touring. 7500 miles since October last year.

So, I rode a brand new 13 Burg 650 last Saturday. Delightful! It was powerful, comfortable, and easier to handle than I thought it might be. It cruised at a much lower rpm than the 400. The clutch engagement from a stop was butter smooth. Unfortunately, my local Suzuki dealer was unwilling to negotiate much at all from MSRP list price.

Yesterday, I went to the local BMW dealer. They didn't have any new scooters, but did have a used 13 model C600 Sport with only 2600 miles. I took it out for a similar test ride as the big Burg. Very interesting. It had a definite lag when taking off from a stop, but accelerated strongly after that. What great handling! Solid in cross wind, and unfazed by grooves, tar strips, etc. The suspension was VERY plush: comfortable and no harshness whatsoever. The seat even felt great.

I made an offer to the BMW store just before closing yesterday. They accepted my offer, and I was scheduled to pick it up today after servicing.

BUT, last night I found the BMW-Scooters.com forum and did some last minute study about the beemer scooters. WOW! Darn good thing I did.

Owners of the new BMW scooters are reporting many, many problems and several recalls. Even a major new recall this week for the cam chain tensioner that has destroyed several engines. What's worse is that BMW apparently has a poor attitude regarding taking care of any problems. Owners report taking several weeks to hear back from district rep's, lack of repair parts, and BMW denying responsibility for some things.

After much thought and consideration overnight, I went back to the BMW dealership this morning and withdrew my offer to buy the C600 Sport. I explained in detail my concerns about reliability and failures. They did not argue, and the deal was canceled. Kaput. I walked away relieved that I did not buy a lemon. My only loss was the time I had spent looking.

Now, I just need to find a Suzuki dealer who is willing to sell me a new '13 model leftover big Burg at a reasonable price! Pheww! That was TOO CLOSE!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Yeah - the GT I thought was okay - the sport no market - no space in it and of course too new to be reliable - good decision.

After riding both I came out and patted the 650

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Having recently coming off of BMWs after many years, I am still a member of both the BMW Motorcycle Owners Association and the BMW Riders Association. I keep up with BMW through their dedicated forums. I have been following their scooters on the forums and some members have been vocal about the problems with them. There have been several problems from stalling to oil leaking from the case of the enclosed chain. The expenses of the periodic replacement of the CVT belt in addition to the periodic replacement of the chain is very high as well as is the normal service schedule.

The latest recall is of all BMW scooters built through April of this year for a defective timing chain. This problem has been known since they were introduced but they apparently just now decided that it was a safety issue. Maybe the fiasco over GM recalls got their attention.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Sham! even the Cops are Pissed about those Bikes there Very Expensive to Service & Repair!!!

Elliott,

·
Registered
709 Posts
I don't think the markup on new bikes is that roomy to move, i've never had any luck working with the dealer on a new unit to move much. You can generally move a little more on the used unit, because of the lower trade-in value.

Dealers that have one on the shelf for way too long, will probably work with you if they're desperate to see it gone, otherwise it's a non-prophet proposition to sell it below retail.

Good work on the BMW gig

·
Registered
585 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts