again no relief so again I went on;

Now, tracing the airflow to handle bar grips,
wind travels up well and through plastic it rips;

The culprit was handle bar covers, the mean,
the draft channels through it and and onto the seam,

My question to you all is quite simple who,
and has any one suffered this malady too;

What was your remedy please answer my call,
Happy Holidays to you and then to you all.

:eek:ccasion8:

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I believe I fixed it with an 1/8" piece of dense foam cut to fit around the steering stem and block the updraft to the Steering wheel cover. Yet to test it.

·
Registered
252 Posts
If we all could ask our questions in rhyme
We all would have a more pleasant time
And even if our words were folly
Our time would still be jolly!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
So far this winter I've been riding in average 35 F and slightly above with only down filled gloves and Hippo Hands . Haven't had any problems after an hour of riding . That said when it gets any colder I will have to change the wardrobe a bit . You wouldn't think so but there is a big difference between 25-30 and 35 degrees F . As far as the heated gloves go they are great BUT you need to get the wind off of them . Every thing has a breaking point including heated gear .

TheReaper!

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reaper,
Yep, I start to feel the 'thumb numb' at 40deg and 45 mph. Using the Moose Handguards,
Amazon.com: Moose Racing Molded Foam Hand Protectors - Black 0635-0760: Automotive
I thought I had the problem licked. I'm not too bright (I have my moments:D) so it took a while to figure out wth was causing the draft on the thumb part of the glove. It was a perfect path for the wind to follow-Under the fairing, up through the steering column well, then into the handle bar cover that delivered it perfectly to the grip.
In the 30's, yep again, it is a whole different set of problems.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Reaper,
Yep, I start to feel the 'thumb numb' at 40deg and 45 mph. Using the Moose Handguards,
Amazon.com: Moose Racing Molded Foam Hand Protectors - Black 0635-0760: Automotive
I thought I had the problem licked. I'm not too bright (I have my moments:D) so it took a while to figure out wth was causing the draft on the thumb part of the glove. It was a perfect path for the wind to follow-Under the fairing, up through the steering column well, then into the handle bar cover that delivered it perfectly to the grip.
In the 30's, yep again, it is a whole different set of problems.
Those Moose hand protectors aren't going to get the job done , you need some thing like Hippo Hands . See the picture of me and my Hippo Hands on my 650 , that day it was 7 degrees F . I was wearing down filled mittens with Hot Hands hand warmers with the Hippo Hands , my hands were as warm as toast for hours . A guy I know with a Harley using Gerbings heated glove on full power told me after 45 minutes his hands were freezing . I cannot stress this strongly enough , YOU MUST get the wind totally off your hands .

On another note , do you see the suit I'm wearing in the picture ? That is the same suit they wear on Everest and the poles at 60 degrees below zero F . And after a couple of hours with very little underneath it , it too begins to break down at 7 degrees F .

A lot of people on these forums will tell you some thing works great at 30 degrees F , but few say for how long . This guy might have a 20 minute commute so for him what he is using works . But take that same gear and it won't hold up for as little as 30 minutes before it too begins to break down . Temperature , wind and time all play their parts . Every time I go out I take all that into consideration , and I never get the slightest bit cold .

TheReaper!

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, a new security feature caused the loss of two replies. I will try again tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Sadly, the problem has nothing to with a design feature, or weakness, of the bike and equipment you are using.

It is a simple consequence of human ageing and the earliest symptoms of vascular disease (poor circulation).

I experience it too, first in my thumbs and big toes, then followed by the other digits.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Sadly, the problem has nothing to with a design feature, or weakness, of the bike and equipment you are using.

It is a simple consequence of human ageing and the earliest symptoms of vascular disease (poor circulation).

I experience it too, first in my thumbs and big toes, then followed by the other digits.
YUP! age also comes into play , and ones tolerance to cold in general . The trick as I see it is to prepare properly for your journey short or long . Before I leave the house I pretty much know exactly where I'm going and how long I'm going to be out , then I dress accordingly . I think the best bet for some one in the beginning , is to practice close to home to see how your gear works and how long it works .

keep this in mind , a trip around town running errands at lower speeds stop and go at 35 degrees is pretty easy . But head out on the freeway at 25 degrees at 70mph constant , and you'll think your in the dead zone on Everest .

TheReaper!

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry for not posting sooner but I guess it slipped my mind to do so. Old age i guess. ;)
I took the trip after placing a foam cutout around the steering column and over the steering well. This cut the draft down considerably and stuffing a rag into the end of the handlebar helped a little more. Putting a few hand warmers between the glove and the glove liner finished the deal adequately. I left at 12:00 PM and returned at 8:00 PM. I was at my destination for 1 hour so that means 7 hours riding time. The temperature ranged on the Burgers thermometer from 37 down to 29 degrees. I gotta say that as challenging as the ride was I enjoyed every minute of it. I have to credit that to giving a lot of thought to every contingency I could think of. I didn't have the perfect gear for the trip as The Reaper pointed out correctly but was able to make do with what I have.
I went through all three sets of glove batts that I thought to bring not really thinking I would use them all as I did not expect the trip to actually be that long. Glad I did; I surely knew when a set was spent. I experienced cool hands but nothing on the level that was distracting me before as with a painful cold breeze on the thumb.
One thing I didn't think of but luckily had a remedy for was my core temperature. I was fine for the first 1 1/2 hours but then I experienced a cool feel in the chest. I realized that I had not eaten anything and was probably out body fuel. I pulled over and took a couple of bites out of a Payday candy bar and a swig of water and in 5-10 minutes was riding again, as comfortably as I was before.
I realize that there was probably an element of good luck involved in getting a fairly comfortable ride and returning home safely but this was a mission that had to be done. All in all, I am glad it happened with such good results. Thanks for your comments and looking forward to you guys tearing me a new one. Be gentle :rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts