Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has decided to stop riding bikes today:(.She will still get on the back of me .but as for her riding it has come to an end (she has been riding for 50 years, she is 60 now).
This came about after her having an accident this morning on her Kawasaki drifter.
We were out for a ride to are local country cafe and as she entered the drive way to park around the back,she gave it to much gas and went strait into the fence.She will be sore and bruised for the next few days, but the psychological scars are much deeper.
She confessed to me later that she has been losing strength in her hands ,and has almost dropped the bike many times before but shear stubbornness has kept her going
,Her realization that she is now a danger to her self and others has now sunk in.So she has decided to sell her bike (which suffered only a bent crash bar in the accident).
we had some fantastic times together riding,but now enters a new faze in our biking life were we ride on one bike.
I will miss not seeing her behind or in front of me on her own bike

As for me the day i stop riding is the day i am ether paralize or dead :angel7:

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
If the Kaw Drifter has become too much for her,
maybe it's time for a 250/300cc scooter.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Sad to hear but I can sympathize....I'm not sure how long I can continue doing off road for similar reasons.
Hands kill me the first 1/2 hour and don't have the fine throttle control anymore.

That's a pretty hefty ride tho 265 kg!!!. I'm looking to get away from the weight of the ST1100 as I just don't feel stable at low speeds.

One reason the CB500x appeals...it's light. - so does the CB400 - 170 kg....that's 100kg less than the Drifter.

Give it time .....she might change her mind but two up has it's own pleasures.
My GF won't do pillion.....course she's a nurse and seen too many consequences.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My wife is a nurse also ,and the drifter has been a pain in the ass since we got it.There are not many bikes i have had an instant dislike to but this was one,
If there was ever a reason to suspect a bike being possessed then this is it . Broke down 3 times and every time i worked on it i got hurt EG: (skinned knuckles,,cuts,and I swear it rolled forward once and stood on my foot ).
She said after the accident that it felt also like the bike just took over,but who knows

.But she wanted it, anD as us guys know happy wife happy life

I am looking forward to riding with here on the back and who knows my singing when i ride might force her to reconsider her riding again ;)

but the main thing is that now she can address her hands and upper body strength problem
looks like nursing will have to take a back seat also until this is sorted also

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Hello... Scooters might be the key to get her back in the saddle. Not sure what she can handle, but a nice Vespa or even a Burgman 400. Low CG, lighter, auto trannys, might be just the thing.

To paraphrase Dori from " finding Nemo", "just keep riding, just keep riding". Maybe not what she once was, but keep doing it, for not to, is one step closer to giving up more things.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
My wife quit riding her own bike about 5 years ago. Her knees were bad. She struggles sometimes to get up on the pillion seat on the Burgman but is almost always game to ride with me two up.

Interesting is that we are both retired R.N.s. I retired as a Emergency Dept. nurse and my wife retired as an ICU/CCU nurse. Seems as if we have a lot of people here on BurgmanUSA who are medical professionals or are married to them or both.

If your wife will still ride two up with you, take what you can get. Riding with your wife can be special too.

Namaste'
Doug from Kentucky

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
So glad she's okay!! At 66, I am realizing that many of us are getting to the age where the warranties are up and the spare parts are scarce. Glad you two will still be riding together.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Glad she's ok. Funny how nurses get drawn into riding. I had a riding buddy for more than a few years who was a PICU nurse.

What I don't tell people is that the bike is actually my retirement plan, seeing as how I have no money to retire on...

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Better to admit one can't handle a bike then ignore it and have something happen. At least she will still ride 2up with you!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts