Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's a review of the Honda 750 Integra.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
This bike would not be a consideration as a replacement to the Burgman 650 for me. The lack of storage space and not having a step-through frame would rule it out. With my medical problems I need that step-through frame in addition to the automatic transmission.

Namaste'
Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
753 Posts
As cool as this bike is I do not think that it would ever find a place in my garage simply because of maintenance cost. While Honda recommends an 8,000 mile oil change interval which to me is a good thing, they also require you to have your valves checked/adjusted every 8K as well. This greatly increases the price for what should be basic maintenance. Imagine having to pay a Honda dealer $200 (or more?) every eight thousand miles?

I see no reason why a modern engine, especially something for a simple scooter, should require valve checks anywhere near that often. Some engines that have redlines way into the middle 5 figures do not require valve checks any more often than 28,000 miles. My Goldwing is every 32,000 miles! Can't they make a simple little twin to do the same? :confused:

·
Registered
704 Posts
Not really a scooter in my book. Too high a hump to get my hind leg over. The Burgman 650 is pushing it for me evidenced by the scuff marks on the hump cover.

Why don't they put hydraulic valve lifters on bikes like they do cars?

·
Registered
373 Posts
I see no reason why a modern engine, especially something for a simple scooter, should require valve checks anywhere near that often. Some engines that have redlines way into the middle 5 figures do not require valve checks any more often than 28,000 miles. My Goldwing is every 32,000 miles! Can't they make a simple little twin to do the same?
Reason they need doing every 8000 Miles as opposed to the Burgmans 16000 miles is because they are locknut and adjuster.
So very quick and easy to do for the Home Mechanic.
Unlike the Burgmans Bucket & Shim arrangement where the camshafts have to be removed :eek:
I believe Suzuki quote 7 Hours Labour for the Burgman 650 16000 Mile Service.......

Andy

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Reason they need doing every 8000 Miles as opposed to the Burgmans 16000 miles is because they are locknut and adjuster.
So very quick and easy to do for the Home Mechanic.
Unlike the Burgmans Bucket & Shim arrangement where the camshafts have to be removed :eek:
I believe Suzuki quote 7 Hours Labour for the Burgman 650 16000 Mile Service.......

Andy

Did they throw in points ignition while they were at it? It goes wonderfully along with the chain to bring back the ambiance of riding a 60's bike, with lots of things that are easy to do, which they'd better be, because you have to do them all the time.

I reality, most people find that when they check the valves at 40,000 miles, they are still in spec.

·
Premium Member
14,260 Posts
7 hours of labor sounds excessive to me. I can do them myself in my home shop a lot quicker than that. That is especially true to just check them. I can do that in about 3 hours. Add a couple of more if I actually have to adjust them. A dealer mechanic working in a dealer shop should easily be able to beat my at home time.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Why don't they put hydraulic valve lifters on bikes like they do cars?
My 1995 Honda PC800 has hydraulic valve lifters. Almost 90,000 miles on her and never had the Tupperware off for any kind of repair and certainly, not for a valve adjustment.

And while the 750 Integra does have valves that you can check and adjust yourself, who the heck wants to have to do it every time you change your oil? Not me that's for sure.

And here's video that I found on Youtube. Not exactly a 10 minute job either.

I sure do like Hondas but I will take a pass on the Integra.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Not really a scooter in my book. Too high a hump to get my hind leg over. The Burgman 650 is pushing it for me evidenced by the scuff marks on the hump cover.
I've discovered that Mothers Back To Black makes that hump look like new again. And if you check that link, you'll notice it's an absolutely incredible deal! ;)

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Yeah, using it -- light scuffs no problem. Larger ones might not treat as good, so be careful when throwing leg over.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
I don't scuff mine getting on it's getting off is when I drag my right foot across the hump. ;)

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
List Price: $692.00, Sale Price: $4.70
I think there's a misprint on the list price. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Think so? :D

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm still sold on the new Integra, I like everything about it, larger wheels, chain drive, good protection from the weather, nice styling, good accessory package, what's not to like about it. Now being a 650 Burgman owner myself, I would classify the Integra as a scooter/motorcycle for the person who wants a little of each. I understand why some of you don't like it, it wouldn't have the easy of on and off for those who have physical difficulties, it's a chain drive, and not too much storage in it's stock setting. I like the Integra because it's a motorcycle first and a scooter second, where the Burgman is a scooter first and a scooter second. Now I ask the question, why has Honda developed such a bike, well for one they already had the NC700DCT ABS models to build from and second they must have felt that there was a market for such a bike.
One last thing, I'm on the NC700 Forum and the Integra is looked at as a motorcycle in Europe. It's another choice between the NC700 models that Honda builds, it just the model with more protection, since all models are pretty much the same and it becomes a personal riding choice.

John

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
The Integra is not available on this side of the pond. I just checked the Honda Power Sports web site. There are several DCT models but they are all leg over models.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts