Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently came across this rare behemoth - a Honda Rune. A cruiser built around the Goldwing engine. They were made by Honda as a statement, costing an estimated $100K each to produce and were sold for around $30K. It's also estimated less than four thousand were made. They were only made '04-'05 but, look like they wouldn't come out for ten years from now. If interested, here's an article about them.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
A friend of mine had one all dolled up with custom paint. It was actually built around the Valkyrie frame (same motor as the Wing) and was really more practical for showing off than for actually riding anywhere. Very cool bike though, and it got lots of attention wherever she rode it.

·
Administrator
18,752 Posts
Our local "Meet Up" has a member that is a Rune snob. He rides it to all meets and pontificates about how great it is. Not too many sit with him more that once.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I recently came across this rare behemoth - a Honda Rune. A cruiser built around the Goldwing engine. They were made by Honda as a statement, costing an estimated $100K each to produce and were sold for around $30K. It's also estimated less than four thousand were made. They were only made '04-'05 but, look like they wouldn't come out for ten years from now. If interested, here's an article about them.
there was one here in Russellville, Ar. I haven't seen it for about 6 months, but a doctor owns it and doesn't ride much...It's different that's for sure. He told me it was rare, but I didn't believe it was that rare..WOW

·
Registered
753 Posts
Costing an estimated $100K each to produce and were sold for around $30K.
Uh.........no. Where in the world did you get that figure from? A hundred grand? Not hardly. There aint no silver or gold or platinum anywhere in that machine. And you think any manufacture would spend 100 thou on something to sell it for less than a third of that price?

The one that they had in the Boise Honda shop languished there for quite a while if I remember. They finally marked it down low enough for someone to buy it and I bet that they were glad to get rid of it.

If ever there was a motorcycle that Pee Wee Herman would ride that one would be it.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
guy rode in with one at our local coffee shop / meet up and I got a bunch of photos....have to dig those out.
I like it....totally impractical but the hidden dash is cool.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Uh.........no. Where in the world did you get that figure from? A hundred grand? Not hardly. There aint no silver or gold or platinum anywhere in that machine. And you think any manufacture would spend 100 thou on something to sell it for less than a third of that price?
Per the article I linked in the original post:

"Each Rune left the American Honda Plant at Marysville, Ohio, costing the company a reported $100,000 - and sold for just a quarter of that price. Honda has got to get its money back somehow and therefore repairing a Rune is never going to be a cheap exercise."

·
Registered
753 Posts
Well, someone was putting the BS on pretty heavy then. I mean why on earth would the bike cost a hundred grand? So much of it is basic Goldwing with some customizing thrown in.

I think that perhaps the person that wrote the article was not very smart or else incredibly gullible. Perhaps a lot of both maybe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts