Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Throughout the winter, I had started my 650 and gave it an opportunity to warm up to keep it in good shape.I had run it ,at idle,on the centerstand.

Today ,I had done the same as before ,letting it warm up for a minute before going on a couple hours of riding.

While the bike was running on the centerstand ,I took the opportunity to look at the oil sight glass and could see that it was showing no oil visible. :shock:

Once removed from the stand and "level", I looked again and the oil level appeared and showed adequate. :wink:

My question is : Is the motor receiving adequate oil while siting and running at the slight angle it is ,on the centerstand?

Just got me to thinking when I could not see it visible in the sight glass while on the centerstand. :shock:

I see everyone running their 650's this way but just wanted to see if there might be any "harm" in doing it this way?

·
Registered
30,277 Posts
The dealer told me to run the bike for a couple of minutes to warm it up, turn off the engine, let the oil settle, and then check the oil. I'd guess that while the engine is running the oil is being cycled thru the engine and may not be visible in the sight glass.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Right. When the engine is running, the oil is circulating. After you shut it off, it drains back down into the sump. You should wait at least a couple of minutes after shutting it off before checking the oil.

·
Registered
605 Posts
There is apparently an oil cooler on the 650 so I heard. It actually runs the engine oil through a pathway to pass it's heat to the engine's radiator. Correct me guys if I'm wrong. The 400 does not have an oil cooler.

·
Premium Member
11,295 Posts
Hold on - try checking the oil level while riding at say 30mph - might be interesting! :shock:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Taken from Suzuki website:

High-efficiency liquid-cooling system includes thermostatically-controlled fan and liquid-cooled oil cooler for consistent engine temperature under all operating conditions

1 - 8 of 8 Posts