Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If a brick weighs nine pounds and half a brick, what does a brick-and-a-half weigh?

·
Premium Member
8,136 Posts
three half bricks

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mikeyMarine said:
three half bricks
Your answer is much too ambiguous. I want the actual weight please. :D

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
27 lbs

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah well, that didn't last long. (I have a sneaking feeling that I have posted this before together with the answer - if you saw it before please own up) :oops:

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
nah, it took about 5secs to work it out.......and I was scrollong down to post the answer when I saw it had been done.

If a brick weighs 9lb +1/2brick, then 0.5brick =9lb, so 1.5bricks= 9x3=27lbs.

Not too puzzling........but if you've got any more, I'll have a go, and there'll probably be one(s) I don't get.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fatjock said:
nah, it took about 5secs to work it out.......and I was scrollong down to post the answer when I saw it had been done. Not too puzzling........but if you've got any more, I'll have a go, and there'll probably be one(s) I don't get.
Ok, try this: "Why is a boiler when it tapers?" (no, it's not a misprint) :D

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Twice now the statement was made that a brick weights 9 pounds,
therefore, 1/2 a brick weights 4.5 pounds...
9 pounds plus 4.5 pounds equals 13.5 pounds.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Duster said:
Twice now the statement was made that a brick weights 9 pounds
No. I said a brick weighs 9 lbs and half a brick! :)

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Duster said:
Twice now the statement was made that a brick weights 9 pounds,
therefore, 1/2 a brick weights 4.5 pounds...
9 pounds plus 4.5 pounds equals 13.5 pounds.
Here's the math laid out all nice and proper. This shows each new operation in bold, intermediate results in italics, and the final answer underlined:

Given: 1 brick = 9 lbs + 1/2 brick
Desired: The weight of 1 1/2 bricks
Solution:
1 brick = 9 lbs + 1/2 brick
1 brick - 1/2 brick = 9 lbs + 1/2 brick - 1/2 brick
1/2 brick = 9 lbs
2 x 1/2 brick = 2 x 9 lbs
1 brick = 18 lbs
1 1/2 x 1 brick = 1 1/2 x 18 lbs
1 1/2 bricks = 27 lbs

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
peelbrow said:
Fatjock said:
nah, it took about 5secs to work it out.......and I was scrollong down to post the answer when I saw it had been done. Not too puzzling........but if you've got any more, I'll have a go, and there'll probably be one(s) I don't get.

Just seen this

LOL....math (or as previously, Arithmetic) ones I can normally get, word-play sometimes leaves me in it's dust, but I'll give it a go.........
...........I'm guessing it's something to do with livetsock, probably chickens, or some other fowl, to classify them as "Boilers" or "Fryers", and reckoning something to do with body shape, where an area can be rounded, or tapered.

Anywhere even remotely close? :oops:

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
peelbrow said:
If it refers to actual steam boilers, then it has to do with the fact that most modern steam boilers are indeed tapered, something to do with efficency and not needing as much volume at the far end of the boiler so it is tapered in cross section to reduce material needed to build it, cut weight and increase thermal efficency.

In British slang a "boiler" is an ugly woman. It presumably comes from the idea that she may be ugly but she'll keep you warm at night. :lol: But that doesn't explain the taper part. There doesn't seem to be a slang definition of taper that would mesh with boiler.

The best thought I had is that it refers to potatoes? Ideally a baking potato (a "baker") would be uniform in diameter. A non-uniform potato that tapers would then be relegated to being boiled, AKA a "boiler". :dontknow: :scratch:

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SteveE said:
peelbrow said:
If it refers to actual steam boilers, then it has to do with the fact that most modern steam boilers are indeed tapered, something to do with efficency and not needing as much volume at the far end of the boiler so it is tapered in cross section to reduce material needed to build it, cut weight and increase thermal efficency. quote]

You are on the right track with this. The correct answer to the question is: "Because the sloper the steamer" :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
In keeping with the first post:

If a chicken and a half lays an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many eggs will six chickens lay in three days?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Eighteen.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
This would be the most common correct answer.

Most people solve this one of two ways. Either they figure out that a chicken and a half lays one egg in one day or that one chicken lays one egg in a day and a half. Once you reach either of those relationships the rest is pretty trivial. The first form tells you that 6 chickens lay 4 eggs per day and the second tells you that one chicken will lay 2 eggs in 3 days.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts