Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just completed a 1,200+ Mile road trip.
It started Sunday with an overnite group ride of fellow Burgman Riders. Then or trip around Wisc. started just the 2 of us (me and my wife).
Mon. Started @ 9:30 230 mile the 1st day a lot of wind 20+ MPH crosswind on twisties.
Tues Started at 6:30 270 the next, 1/2 of which was in the rain, not bad really, no wind.
Wed., we hunkered down where we were at, as I can do rain, I can do wind but not 3" of rain in 1 day with 30 MPH wind with 40 mph gusts. a good day to be in a hot tub and Lounge, ALL Day.
Thurs. started out @ 6:30 @ 42 degrees Faharenhite 100 miles in by breakfast (8:30) 368 miles across the UP of Michigan, ended at Lake Mich. (Escanaba).
Fri stared @ 6:15 and 38 degrees F. stopped for Breakfast, and 223 miles home by 12:00
Confidence in the burgman is Very High, as there was no trouble with the bike, and the handeling (2 up with 50+ lbs of gear) was exceptional. Rain, wind, and the twisties along the "River Run" along the Mississippi.
When we got back, we went out for Supper with the luggage off, and the shocks reset. and the ride was much firmer. That 50 lbs of extra stuff really makes the ride much better and we still averaged about 49 MPG. No heated Vest or Grips, just a heavy Leather Jacket and Gloves (with long john's under the pants), it was cool but tolirable. Me and my wife suprised ourselves and concluded 400 mile + per day trips where do-able.

·
Registered
270 Posts
a nice week

:D Sounds like you had a great time. I would sure like to do that, if we had the time and the money. 8) However one day will. For the moment, I'll have to be content with are little 200 mile outings. :wink:

We went out on one of those yesterday. We live in the N.W. coner of Arkansas. In a town called Springdale. Fore o'clock in the morining we started out. We ate breakfeast in Springdale. When i came out before we got on are scoots. I told my wife, we are here, where is there? We rode over to a town next to us called Siloam Springs. We stoped at a Wal-Mart store over there because, my wife was frezzing her hinie off. :bootyshake:
We bought her a pair of wind breaker pants and we went on from there. Now down on the the border between Arkansas & Okanhoma there are two 59 hi-ways. One on each side. We took the Arkansas side, all the way to a town called Van Buren. We stoped at a little store down there, and got to talk to some of the locals. We had fun trying to explain just what the heck we will were riding. One guy said he'd been looking for something like that. That would be easy to ride, and do hi-way speeds. We told him he couldn't go wrong with the Burgman. 8)
On to Van Buren, downtown. They have a lot of old buidings in that town. Late 1800's earley 1900's it was geart ride. Back to I 40, and up to the old 71 hi-way in Alma. We started north again. We stoped at at another one of those country stores in Winslow Arkansas. We ate lunch and talked to more locals. There were a lot of bikes out rideing. We talked to some Harley riders, and one lady on a Gold wing trike. She was great. We talked about the Burgman's, she said she had a freind over in Russellville; That had just bought a new 400 Burgman. She also invited my wife to join a woman's rideing club. That meets in Springdale, every 2nd & 4nd Saturday. I told my wife she ought to jion this club. Or at least go to one of their get togathers.
Anyway by days end we had put about 200 miles on the scoots. :glasses8: We were a little tired, but very happy with the day. Normal cage drivers don't get the pleasurer that we do. When we just pick a road and go. :D Happy & safe scootin. Have another nice week. And build the memorys.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hey Jim and Doug

Thanks for sharing that with us. I enjoyed the read.

Some real good marketing material there for the LAB!

Keep em coming! :)

PS: This made me smile: 'They have a lot of old buidings in that town. Late 1800's earley 1900's ' I think 40% of the UK housing stock is at least that old! :lol:

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
There seem to be a lot of members taking " trips" with the scooter's, the 400 or 650 is really at home on the road. In a lot of cases better suited then some bigger bikes I have seen with so much "stuff" hanging off they handle like a wet noodle.
I think if I was to go cross country the 650 would be my first choice,
in state the 400 is fine.
Can't afford a BMW "K" bike or a Goldwing anyway. :wink:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts