Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone:
After having tried, fruitlessly, to get local dealer order me a 2013 (they had no 2012's), I went ahead and got me a 2012 Burgie in white :D .
I had to drive 120 miles to reach the dealership, drop my beloved Red Lady (2009 Yamaha V-star 1300 tourer, which was way "lardier" than Lardy :lol: ) and drive back home with a brand spanking new 2012 Burgman 650 exec :cheers: .
It is true! 730 lb of v-twin are more difficult to handle that a 600-odd lb of Burgman.
I lost 50% of engine power, but the new bike is much easier to drive.
Next: a windshield. I felt no buffeting, but there was too much wind noise. If the stock windshield had been 2" taller, it would have been fine, but as it is too much air hits my helmet.
Any suggestions? I am Italian, so Givi would be a sentimental favorite, but I heard contradictory remarks so I am opne to suggestions.
I am looking also at Clearviews. I am 5.7 but I am short in the legs. My torso is pretty tall, so I am thinking I should go with a large one. Any thought?
Thanks!
Marco
[attachment=0:1guqlrq6]Newlardy.jpg[/attachment:1guqlrq6]

Attachments

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Nice, like the exra sparkle off the chrome muffler shield. :thumbup: I like the Givi's for the hand protection but if you don't need that or want a vent I'd say most folks love the Clearview ones.

Does it feel that much slower than your old bike?

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I lost 50% of engine power, but the new bike is much easier to drive.
Hi the Power button and you won't miss anything until you are over 60 mph.( I feel the same with my ST1100 and it was only 45 lb heavier but all up top. - the bigger bikes are terrific at 70 mph plus - the Burgman will do it easily but gulp fuel)

I did not like the Givi - sold it in a week.
I LOVE the standard Clearview - what should be the stock screen if Suzuki were up to improvements.
Even the standard is 1.5" higher than the stock and unless you want to look through the windscreen all the time don't go with anything bigger. I'm 5' 9" 30" inseam.
I saw a small grey Clearview on the blemished list if you want a sport shield but suspect the standard will be fine.
Don't be afraid to save money with the blems - I've bought two and never ever can see the blems....good savings and available right away.

Enjoy. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
phyciocc said:
Hello everyone:
After having tried, fruitlessly, to get local dealer order me a 2013 (they had no 2012's), I went ahead and got me a 2012 Burgie in white :D .
Thanks!
Marco
[attachment=0:15p400rr]Newlardy.jpg[/attachment:15p400rr]
Congratulations!
I did the same thing a week sooner (16th.) Traded in a 2011 C50T for a 2012 white 650.
Played with the manual shift today for the 1st tme. While traveling at 55mph I placed it into manual and upshifted into 6th.
Put it back into auto when I had to slow down for a stop.
I'm loving this bike more every day.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Point of interest for new owners of the 650. When in manual and have to slow down you do not have to downshift or shift to auto. It will downshift on it's own without you doing anything. Just remember if you do leave it in manual you have to upshift when needed. Congrats to all the new owners for picking one of the best rides there is. :cheers:

Bill

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone!
I am really looking forward to ride more now. My old bike was fine, once in motion. It had a low seat, 27", and plenty of power. It was not a high torque bike, but liked to wind up the rpm. The only trouble was getting on the road. Many times, too many, I almost lost footing in my garage because of the weight...and even though it had a great throaty rumble at stop signs, after 30 miles riding, it had gotten a bit tiring.
MJR:
I paid extra for that chrome sparkle :p . Speed? The two are the same at 70 mph. The problem was that, if I stayed on the throttle on the V-Star, it would continue to 90 and beyond very easily. Too easily...

MacDoc: I actually have gotten used to look through the windshield. This is indeed a problem when it rains but, while I can ride when it's cold, I will not ride when it rains. I will stop. I have not very fond memories of a fall, many moons ago, due to wet road...But I digress.
I love Lardy's mirrors! I set them when I left the dealeship and have not had to change them once. On the old bike, they were always pointed the wrong way, it seemed, and always scraping on the garage walls. The folding button on the Burgman is great.

I am looking forward to many great miles. But tomorrow is supposed to snow :cry:
Marco

·
Registered
243 Posts
Get the Clearview with tint and vent. You won't regret it!

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Beautiful machine ! Congratulation !

·
Registered
33 Posts
Congrats on the new Burg. I too want a 2013 and even gave the dealer $1000 for a deposit. This is to "help " get the scooter faster. I Guess that might work if the 13s were even in the country. I am ready to buy now and hate to loose the 0% financing and $500 rebate. I do like the changes from the 09 I sold in Nov. but Suzuki says they haven't even left Japan yet.
What's a scooter rider to do?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Congrats on the new Burg. I too want a 2013 and even gave the dealer $1000 for a deposit. This is to "help " get the scooter faster. I Guess that might work if the 13s were even in the country. I am ready to buy now and hate to loose the 0% financing and $500 rebate. I do like the changes from the 09 I sold in Nov. but Suzuki says they haven't even left Japan yet.
What's a scooter rider to do?

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Congrats on the new Bike.

Enjoy! :thumbup:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey guys. New to the forum. Where do you all live? I just bought a new 2013 650 exec, picking it up tomorrow. I live in NC. They had one on the show room floor. I had a 2007 reflex, looking forward to seeing the difference, especially riding 2-up. I got the zero percent financing, but I don't think one can get the 500 dollars cash back too, I think it is one or the other.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Congrats New riders...love to see new Burgy Lovers...

I live in Louisville KY and ride in a broad area around this state. I am in a local club www.DerbyCityThrottleJockeys.com Check us out if you are in the general area, we do two rides a week once the season gets into full swing, one for smaller displacement on Wed. and Maxi's on the weekends. Sorr for large image didn't know how to resize it using IMG tag.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks, will absolutely do that. And back at you if you head to the Asheville NC way. Not sure of any official riding clubs/get togethers/ gangs, but I'll let you know!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Good luck with the new scoot. Let us know how you like it after you get a few miles on it. I am wondering how the dealer in NC got a 2013 in when none of the dealers around here can get one. Just have to wait I guess. :(

Bill

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks to all (I am a Iittle jealous of the fellow that got a 2013 but there were none available in KY and any neighboring state).
I am so tired of this cold...Today has been the warmest day since I got... (drum roll please)...The White Lardy! :D
The temperature is a balmy 43F... :(
An update on expenditures: I already had a Givi Maxia 55 on hand (removed from my previous bike) with the brake lights kit so I purchased some posi-taps from Crutchfields and a E529 plate (Thanks, KiwiDave!) to mount it.
Also in transit I have a Clearview blem (XL with a vent). All should be here before the weekend. Temperature is expected to hit 55 on Saturday :cheers: , but will drop again soon thereafter :(
I want 60's!
Marco

1 - 20 of 26 Posts