Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after half a million miles on two wheels I finally joined the motor scooter brigade. Two weeks ago I bought a 2007 650.

My first ride was 310 miles and I realized there were some things that needed to be changed.

I ordered and installed a Bestem top box after removing the passenger back rest. I installed four eye bolts to the top of the box so I can bungee stuff to it if necessary. I removed the phillips head screw that holds the access cover on and replaced it with an eye screw that I painted with black finger nail polish. No more screwdriver needed and no more lost little black screw.

I did not like the butt rest and wanted more seat room so I took it off, cut a piece of polycarbonite plastic into a four inch high piece that matches the curve of the seat, glued neoprene wet suit material on top of it, screwed the plastic to two dowels that fit in the now empty back rest holes and secured them with screws under the seat.

I now have a neat little butt rest that's a quarter inch thicker than the rubber hole covers and gives me a ton more room.

I also ordered a Cee Bailey windscreen that's wider and two inches taller and I covered the hand grips with Harley Davidson foam grip covers over the top of the stock grips, then installed a wrist rest on the throttle.

All I have to do now is wait for my new windshield to show up and design and install a plastic radar detector mount to the windshield that rests on the top of the dash panel.

Oh yeah.. I love the scooter. Perfect for an older guy with arthritis in his left hand... I'm glad I found the bike.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
You won't feel so old when you find that Powerbutton magic in the twisties and the Burgman :D comes on.
I also got into the Maxis for hand issues then when I got the Burgman 650 found I had a twisties bike as a well. Weight down low, brilliant brakes, magic transmission with lovely engine braking and acceleration thanks to the Power button.
If there is any place the stiff suspension pays, its carving corners.

This was the review that got me into the category
http://www.onewheeldrive.net/2006/10/04/scoot-touring-the-honda-silverwing-and-suzuki-burgman/

I bought the Silverwing but then the Burgman 650 was a whole new world.
Take note of the VFR800 rider comment ..."if this were a race there would be no losing the Burgman 650"

Great choice. Some good changes you've made but I tell you - on two bikes with 50,000 km between them that access cover has come off very rarely ( aside from the oil changes and I figure the mechanic has a screw driver )

I can count the times I''ve had to top off oil on one hand. ( only after sustained high speed runs - there is known issue of oil migration ).
Total repairs aside from tires and brake pads....two batteries - both were due for a change.

Always starts - never lets me down...keep an eye on your rear tire tho....the 650 dines heartily on them :(
Lots of grins to come.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You won't feel so old when you find that Powerbutton magic in the twisties and the Burgman :D comes on.
I also got into the Maxis for hand issues then when I got the Burgman 650 found I had a twisties bike as a well. Weight down low, brilliant brakes, magic transmission with lovely engine braking and acceleration thanks to the Power button.
If there is any place the stiff suspension pays, its carving corners.

This was the review that got me into the category
http://www.onewheeldrive.net/2006/10/04/scoot-touring-the-honda-silverwing-and-suzuki-burgman/

I bought the Silverwing but then the Burgman 650 was a whole new world.
Take note of the VFR800 rider comment ..."if this were a race there would be no losing the Burgman 650"

Great choice. Some good changes you've made but I tell you - on two bikes with 50,000 km between them that access cover has come off very rarely ( aside from the oil changes and I figure the mechanic has a screw driver )

I can count the times I''ve had to top off oil on one hand. ( only after sustained high speed runs - there is known issue of oil migration ).
Total repairs aside from tires and brake pads....two batteries - both were due for a change.

Always starts - never lets me down...keep an eye on your rear tire tho....the 650 dines heartily on them :(
Lots of grins to come.

Thanks for the information. I agree I may rarely take that little screw out, but I just imagined having to add oil on a freezing cold morning with stiff fingers. I always try to imagine a worst case possibility since so many of them have happened to me at one time or another. I'll watch the back tire. I have been researching tires and it seems like the Shinko gets some love. Might try one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts