Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today has NOT been a good day. In 2 days I will have had my 400 for exactly 4 weeks and Happily put 1879 miles on the Trip B Odometer.

Which along with the 158 that were on it when I bought it it now has 2037 miles on it.

Being the slightly picky sort that I am I set about to give it its Third Oil and Filter Change....which it will now be getting every 1000 miles.

Oil Change went fine...having purchased several Filters along with the Required O-Rings and Metal Drain Plug Washers....picked them up when my previously ordered Key Blanks FINALLY arrived after 3 weeks...but THATS another Story..(PO'd about that as well...they could have arrived faster if they had been dropped in an Envelope and Mailed from Tokyo by Regular Mail)...I at last have Spare Keys.

Well while waiting for the Oil to stop dripping from the pan I did the usual Check Over and Sh(t!!! Nail in the Rear Tire...spritz with some soap and Tiny Bubbles...Slow Leak....So...NOT Safe to Ride even down the street to the Tire Shop...Not that it would have Mattered....99% of Tire Shops WILL NOT Plug a Cycle Tire....even as a Temporary Repair...and I don't have a Proper Plug Gun..(I Will in Two Weeks Though!!!!)

Into the Truck and off to the Best of the Four Dealers within Reasonable distance....

SORRY...Tires for Burgmans have to Be Ordered...3 to 5 days lead time.

Burgman is Down for the Rest of the Week...and I am NOT happy.

While I was at it I asked about other Parts that you would EXPECT to be kept on the Shelf...(and Key Blanks are one of them IMO)...I got Other than Oil Filters and the O-Rings pretty much EVERYTHING else has to be Ordered...and while Tires come from Outside any Suzuki Part is 7-10 Days.

Is it ANY wonder people grouse about the Dealers....

The particular Dealer I have gone to has no problem with installing Parts brought to them...which I will reserve for more troublesome intalls or ones I think need a bit of experience (or an experienced eye to watch me do it)

So along with TWO new Rear Tires and a New Front Tire I ordered Brake Pads (Thats Correct..They don't even have Brake Pads in Stock...NONE of the 4 Dealers do)

So my "Parts Bin Shelf" will have a Set of Tires...Brake Pads...all the things needed for Oil Changes...I will probably order Rotors as well and a Spare Drive Belt.

This has REALLY Stressed me out and I'm VERY Angry/Upset that Suzuki doesn't require the Dealers to carry at least Basic Parts.

I think it's because most of the Customers are Young Kids who Suzuki and the Dealers feel can be Pushed Around...

Don't they understand that those Young Kids become Older Adults who usually have a bit more money to spend on a Bike and will go where the Dealer has the Parts in Inventory and will Kiss your @ss and keep you Happy????

....Does the name "Harley Davidson" Ring A Bell????

P.S. I could Darn Near get a Harley 1200 Sportster for what they want for a Burgman 650....so Price is Starting to become Irrelevant.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
While I have no doubt you will use all the parts you ordered, I can't help but feel you are going a little over board.
Brake pads, rotors, many parts will give you amble time to order when you first see you need them, but each his own.
An oil change ever 1000 miles?
I have two fives want to give a twenty for them. :D
It just does not make sense to throw money away...
But that's only my opinion ..

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well in the family business over decades Oil Changes done much more frequently than the Factory calls for has been a Key to VERY long engine life....Currently one International has 365,000 miles on the Odometer and Probably 3/4 of that again that doesn't show as Stationery Idle Time...It has just recently started an upward move in the Oil consumed between 5000 mile changes.

It's finally starting to use more than an extra gallon between changes.

RPM's are much greater on the Burgie and it will run 3 times as many RPM's over a given time as any of the big trucks will so Good Oil changed frequently IMO will be key to a long life for it.

And Oil is Cheap...in 55 Gallon Barrels...Rotella 15W-40 runs us about $4.50 a Gallon in Barrels vs. $7.75 at the parts house in Gallon Jugs.

Oil Change with OEM Filter and O-Rings currently runs about $10.50...so about 1¢ a mile...I can live with that.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I intend on stocking an extra set of tires myself. Although I wouldn't worry too much over the brake parts you do seem to put a lot of miles on your 400. 2K in a month is even more than I rack up. You might want to order a belt and rollers if you aren't concerned about money and keep racking up the miles the way you are now. Seems tires are one of the harder items, especially for certain aftermarket tires like perellis. Seems they only make them in lots and they seem to sell out rather quickly during riding season. I am having my new Perelli GTS rear tire mounted today on my 400. I want to see how it does compared to the OEM bridgestone before ordering another rear tire.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL!!

Oh! I'm concerned about Money Selias!!!

THATS why I'm going to Stockpile some of the Basic Parts and a Spare Set of Tires...though I ordered the OEM Bridgestones.

Look at it this way....I'm out my Bike for probably Close to a Week while I wait on the Tires...MMMMMmmm..Now I have to Drive the Truck....225 miles on a Tank of Gas...Truck or Burgie...$7.00 to fill the Burgman..$40.00 to fill the Truck.

Two tanks over a Week...$66.00 EXTRA in just [email protected]!!! Cost of a Tire!!!

If Parts have to Come from Suzuki..TWO Weeks Down...$132.00 Extra in Gas..... Cost of Brake Pads, Front AND Rear!!! Cost of Drive Belt!!! Cost of Rotor!!!

IMO it is VERY Cost Effective to keep $400-$500 worth of Basic Parts on a Shelf at Home.

It's like a Bank Checking Account...If you Keep Less than $2500 in it they Charge you Monthly Fees and Per Item Charges...for me that would be about $15 a Month or $180 year...

I don't get Interest on the $2500 Extra I keep in the account but I save AT LEAST $180 on Fees...I would have to Earn a 14% Interest Rate on the $2500 to just be Even if I didn't keep that $2500 Minimum Balance and had to pay the Fees.

And I've put so many miles on because I'm just Enjoying the Burgman as well as using it for Everything!! I think as time goes on I'll not put quite so many on...but we'll have to see }:~D

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Well, I totally agree on that. I use mine for my work, commuting back and forth and I'm saving a substantial amount of money.
I don't intend on stocking brake parts though because (especially with engine braking) I don;t suspect to go through brakes. others on these forums I believe replace them ONCE in the 20K+ mile range. I figure I have plenty of time to get them before I'll need them. Fortunately the Burgman is (reportedly) not very high on maintenance. Now the belt will have to be changed over 10K miles so it's something I'm looking at getting long before I spend money/time on ordering brake parts.
So oil change parts, rear tire then belt and about the same time as I do the belt I'll have to change front tire (give or take). Maybe another belt change after that (and more tires, oil changes, of course) before I'll have to change out brakes.
Of course, I don't do as much stop and go traffic up here in rural east Texas as most folks either so mine may even last into the 30K+ range.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Nice job of cost-analysis. If you want to get really anal about it, you need to factor in the space set aside to store the components and evaluate the shelf-wear on them as well, but compared to the big-picture issues, they will be small potatos for a single vehicle and enough spare room to securely store the goodies.

Alternatively, those of us with less secure space could still participate in this kind of behavior. We'd just need to keep accurate logs of anticipated life expectancy and worst-case delivery dates. Then we could do just-in-time ordering - allowing a buffer to ensure that we don't experience the costly down time. Since all parts aren't likely to face failure at the same time, it would save on storage space and time.

Of course, small parts and parts that are subject to loss or damage in the course of normal maintenance (little black fasteners?) should be kept on hand at all times. And things that can be bought MUCH more cheaply in bulk, should be bought in the most economical size for which one has storage capacity.

Thanks again for the analysis.

·
Registered
287 Posts
GeGe Lan said:
....Does the name "Harley Davidson" Ring A Bell????

P.S. I could Darn Near get a Harley 1200 Sportster for what they want for a Burgman 650....so Price is Starting to become Irrelevant.
Well, yeah, but HD dealers HAVE to stock a lot of parts or the bikes would never be on the road! :D

...or they'd be in pieces all over the road! :lol:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well my Brother has a 2001 Softail...and had Zero Problems in Thousands of Miles...

Harleys Problems are the Pre-1995 Bikes...the Post '95 EVO Twins are IME Pretty Trouble Free...However the Dealers DO stock the Basic Parts...and Special Order is seldom over 3 days...

I mean...Jeez...7-10 days to get BRAKE PADS from Suzuki???????

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As for Shelf Wear...Only a Factor on the Drive Belt and pretty much other Rubber Goods.

The Drive Belt I agree is probably not a Keep around Item but something to be ordered 6 weeks or so before you need it...from what I've read here they don't seem to "pop" before their time.

As for Taking up Space...So Far a Rubbermaid Plastic Shoe Box holds the 5 Oil Filters and Gaskets I have left with over Half the Box to spare...without seeing them yet I will bet I can put all the Brake Pads in it as well.

Tires will occupy the most space as would Rotors...

I think a Single 18 inch x 48 inch Shelf is going to be WAY more than Adequate...

And those of you without Shelf Space...the Aforementioned Rubbermade Shoe Boxes Slid under the Bed...}:~D

·
Registered
611 Posts
Keep the tires wrapped in their plastic packaging to keep them fresh - it sounds silly, but they dry rot a lot faster on a shelf than on a bike (they get heated up when ridden).

For a dealer to store parts is expensive - and they don't get paid anything to do it. Figure on buying your parts on credit, and paying 1% interest each month on them untill you use them - and that's about what it costs a dealership to have any part in stock. Anything that sits unused on their shelf for over 12 months is basically something that they just lost money on. The more any part gets ordered from a dealership, the more likely they will be to stock it. You can also ask them to stock it so that you don't have to buy it online... :)

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Good point. When I bought my Burgman, there was a bit of mis-understanding, and they ordered a factory backrest for my 650.
I got a call months later asking me if I still wanted it or not, because they were going to send it back if I didn't. I don't recall ordering it in the first place, so I had them return it. They could have kept it in stock, but I suppose they don't sell enough of them to make it worth the expense.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Roland,

Don't feel bad if you can't ride, how would you like to be like me, & be mentally upset everyday & feel that you shouldn't ride with that frame of mind. Well that's exactly what I have to do just about every day, so I have resigned myself to knuckle down like I always have, & do what ever it takes to keep the peace.
I have to take care of my elderly mother, & she is on my case every day about something, so when I do go out I rush back as fast as I can to try & keep peace. People say just to overlook it, but it's not that easy. And to top that off I was married to the Devil's sister for 30 years & I did what she said to, to keep the peace. In other words it's not worth the fight.
Try going to court with a woman in Florida & see where you end up. Florida is a woman's state & 9 out of 10 times the man ends up on the short end of the stick. That's another reason that I stayed with 1st wife 30 years, because I knew if divorce ever came that she would win, & she did.
$650.00 alimony a month for life, including 1/2 of my pension, $50,000 worth of life insurance, 1 vehicle, & house.
I'm now married to a wonderful woman, who wants me to enjoy life to the fullest, but in the meantime I can only hope that it will get better.

Butch

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Butch,

I can't sympathize over the Wife Problem but I can sure Relate to the Elder Caregiving Part...

Both my Parents Died in just under a year leaving my Fathers Mother living in the small attached apartment and needing constant watching until she herself Passed on 2 years later.

She let the sink run over twice flooding everything...Third time she did it and didn't want to tell anyone but when you see her heading for the Washing machine with piles of Towels you know what happened...

I slipped into the apartment and took the Sink Stoppers...she had a Plastic Tub she kept in the sink so that her dishes wouldn't get "chipped" by the Stainless Steel Sink...if it filled up and ran over it just went down the drain..

A couple of days later she asked me if I had seen her Sink Stoppers...I said "You didn't Throw them away by mistake again did You???" (she had once)...she went OH! and back into her apartment...she never asked about the stoppers again and we never had a flood again....but she could still wash her dishes using the plastic tub.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts