Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Using a generic Clay bar product description all the major make their version.
Buy a kit I use Mother's comes with 200 grams of 100 gram bar. A spray bottle of instant detailer and a generic microfiber towel.
This stuff is all about removing off and out environmental fallout, over spray, and the stuff that just doesn't come off in the wash and dry. It usually just gets top coated (wax or polish).
To truly clean your paint surfaces removing most imperfections. Wash your project very well doesn't need to dry before beginning. Shade makes the lubricant last longer. Take your clay kneed it bit. Work to achieve a 4 finger pad. I work in about a 2 foot square at a time. Lightly mist, then take the clay and work the surface till it feels glass like smooth. As you are working the clay keeping an eye on the bottom, when dirty simply fold and kneed the clay to expose clean clay. You'll begin to feel your way and know when clean by the feel. Wash when done. Use your favorite topcoat and be amazed. A second and third of the topcoat would help protect as you had just stripped all the old waxes polishes enviro crap off. A chore to be sure, but one of the more impressive outcomes for most. Nothing else does what this does. My impatus for this diatribe I was changing front brake pads and adding an Extend Fender. I removed 2009 AN650 K9 front fender and it looked ok but was seriously like and paper. It was a 25 min job from clean and dry to glass smooth and Polished with Torque Detail (.com) just stuff I like wipe on towel off.

Premium Member
Pics Please .... this could be a great thread

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pics Please .... this could be a great thread
I would be glad to comply with pics. I tried to give verbal instruction. The cleaning of the surface is process of feel. Daris what pictures would help you visualize the process?

Premium Member
I would be glad to comply with pics. I tried to give verbal instruction. The cleaning of the surface is process of feel. Daris what pictures would help you visualize the process?
Sorry, I鈥檝e never Clay Bared anything before but I鈥檇 heard of it.
I鈥檓 glad it鈥檚 an option for us Burgman owners.

I found a short vid showing it in action

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, I鈥檝e never Clay Bared anything before but I had heard of it.
I鈥檓 glad it鈥檚 an option for us Burgman owners.

I found a short vid showing it in action

Not much help there, it looked as though he was using soap and water which is not a great lubricant the sprays that come with the kits is much better. When he was done showed dirty clay and walked away he just left the clay laying.on the panel. He should have shown how to fold, pull stretch the clay to imbed the dirt to a better cleaner surface. Makes no difference pattern used in wiping. Also why I was eluding to on post, when you start a new area you'll feel the clay drag a bit as you start it will start to get easier as the crap is removed. It'll slickly and smoothly glide when your area is done. Move on to next area. The clay works pretty quickly, but doing a car is a chore. Still want pics?

Premium Member
Not much help there, it looked as though he was using soap and water which is not a great lubricant the sprays that come with the kits is much better. When he was done showed dirty clay and walked away he just left the clay laying.on the panel. He should have shown how to fold, pull stretch the clay to imbed the dirt to a better cleaner surface. Makes no difference pattern used in wiping. Also why I was eluding to on post, when you start a new area you'll feel the clay drag a bit as you start it will start to get easier as the crap is removed. It'll slickly and smoothly glide when your area is done. Move on to next area. The clay works pretty quickly, but doing a car is a chore. Still want pics?

I guess the word Bar is what kept me from further research ..... I see now it鈥檚 more of a Silly Putty application.
No pics needed now ....but thanks for letting us know that we Burgman Owners can benefit from the process.

Registered
I'm not even understand what we're talking about here....
Is it about cleaning the bike with a piece of clay? common pottery clay? or what?

Premium Member
Is it about cleaning the bike with a piece of clay? common pottery clay? or what?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A special clay with a special purpose. That clay and a special lubricant when rubbed on painted surfaces removes virtually all imbedded and surface crap. You'll see the evidence on the clay you've been using. Yes as most clays this one you pull kneed and roll then flatten your new surface.
Next time your vehicle is at its cleanest take a few minutes and gently rub the surface looking for that glass like smooth. This will fix that like nothing else
0606212013_HDR.jpg

Attachments

Registered
mhh..... sounds good.
Two questions:
  • what should i look for on this side of the ocean?
  • does it works on the windshields too?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mhh..... sounds good.
Two questions:
  • what should i look for on this side of the ocean?
  • does it works on the windshields too?
For use on glass, yes same stuff
As for where to find in Italy. Big Box stores with an automotive department. Any automotive parts store and or automotive paint and body supply. Apply to your local area. Try to buy a kit, that will ensure a proper lube to use. You want to buy Clay kit that cleans painted surfaces, comes with clay, a spray lube and maybe a microfiber towel. I've used a few brands, all worked well.

Registered
When i bought my '08 B400 a out a month ago it had been sitting in the previous owner's garage for 6 years and it had some kind of overspray from spraypaint which made it look and feel as if it was permanently dusty. Thankfully i found out about claybars a while back when i did my car(which i ended up marring the paint with the clay somehow) and i did my scooter and it makes such a huge difference in making your paint have that "glossy" fresh look IF your paint feels rough to the touch and is still in good condition. If the paint feels somewhat smooth it's probably not necessary. But if you claybar you might as well finish the job and compound and polish as well ;)

I uploaded a pic for comparison. The left side is where i used the clay bar, and the right side is untouched.
20210522_161210.jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts