Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After almost 5 months of joining (and enjoying) this wonderful forum, I believe that it's time to introduce myself.

My name is Anibal and I live on the sunny & hot island of Puerto Rico. (Did I mentioned SUNNY? :wink: ) My ride is a just-bought, soon-to-be-home blue K5-650. My wife's ride is a silver K5-400. I mention "soon-to-be-home" because as of this writing I'm having an extension built to my home (sort of a garage-like room) to park and safeguard the scoots.

My wife has decided to name her 400 "Hazely", mine's named "Belldandy" (see avatar) from the anime "Ah, My Goddess". Her scoot will remain mostly bone-stock, mine will have all sorts of mods (including Sirius satellite radio), most of which come from ideas, suggestions and actual installs of fellow forum members. :D

I'd like to thank "Pauljo", "Billmeek", "Allwalk", "Greengoose", "NormanB" and "ScubaGirl" for providing us Burgman owners the opportunity to learn, share and discuss our experiences. :thumbright: :hello1: And the occasional laughs (thanks Norman for supplying the "English Humor" touch. :lol:).

BTW, I haven't seen a 650 on our roads (yet). Maybe I'm wrong, but I believe that mine will be one of the first. :shock:
Too bad it can't be used on toll roads due to her wheel size, likewise the 400. :evil: (350cc, 350Lb., 16" wheel minimum)

Thanks everyone.

Anibal

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Welcome!

Welcome to BUSA. I didn't realize you had toll roads on your lovely island. Seems if the vehicle can keep up it shouldn't be banned from the road. What about cars with small rims? Do they have a weight restriction as well? Silly law if you ask me! :lol:

Glad you are here. Is your wife an active member here as well now that she has the 400?

Enjoy and good luck on the addition.

Dee

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Welcome!

ScubaGirl said:
Is your wife an active member here as well now that she has the 400?

Dee
No, she isn't. She's not as English-language oriented as I am, although she understands it perfectly. But she's learned a lot just by login as a "Guest".

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Official Greetings and welcome. Good to have a contact in your area of the world should holiday travels ever take me there :wink: Glad to hear that you and your wife share the passion for riding.

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
Greetings PRico02

I worked with a lady who grew up in Puerto Rico. Her discriptions of the island made it sound like a great place to live.

The Indian Nation Turnpike in Oklahoma also has signs that say no scooters allowed, don't know if that would apply to Burgmans, might have to test it out one day.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Buffalo said:
The Indian Nation Turnpike in Oklahoma also has signs that say no scooters allowed, don't know if that would apply to Burgmans, might have to test it out one day.
I'd check with the Oklahoma DMV (website?) to see their laws regarding scooters on their highway system.

Thanks everyone so far for the official greeting. :D 8) :wink:

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I previously had a Honda 250 Scooter. Although it looked like a scooter it was classified as a motorcycle. The only other 2-wheeled motor vehicle designation in Kansas is Moped or what used to be anything under 49ccs. My 250 was stopped once on the Interstate, but let go when I pointed out it's legal designation and the fact that it could run highway speeds safely to the officer.

Wheel size could be made the deciding factor for a law, but both my scooters have had larger wheels than my first car (A '72 Honda 600 Sedan) and it was freeway-legal.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Welcome.... I once owned a '76 MG 1100 Sedan with 12 inch wheels [ Hey Norm,remember those ?? ] Guess there aren't any of those in PR. Came down the Indian Nation Turnpike on Sat. on the way back from Scootercade. Also noticed the warning sign about scooters....half the cars that passed me couldn't pass a 650 Burger. :)

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Duster said:
Welcome.... I once owned a '76 MG 1100 Sedan with 12 inch wheels [ Hey Norm,remember those ?? ] snipped
What? I had one of those (I think) - do you mean this:

It was a dung heap of a car - absolutely terrible. (My second car had it for about six months after passing my driving test!)

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Right on, Norm. Mine was all red 2 door. 1098 cc & 55 HP if I remember correctly. After my brother ran it out of water, we rebuilt the engine...bored out .030, milled the head & decked the block, hotter cam & a header exhaust system...2 inches all the way out. Cleaned up all the ports & reworked the dual SU carbs. 92 HP on an engine dyno. Ran like a scalded rabbit....cheap insurance too. Hydro-lastic suspension was kinda different. Wifey didn't want to deal with manual shift & a new baby...had to let it go. High school boy bought it....now let your imagination wander. :p

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
My Chevy Sprint had 12" wheels. I am lost about the tires size limits down there - pretty dumb if I say. Not to mention mini minors/coopers with the 10" jobs. The hydrostatic suspension on those MGs was pretty forward think tho.

but i wonder if the "stats" are correct here as stated. my full sized gringo heap has 15" wheels. maybe its a different measurement than the rim size 'eh?

ut toe! subject drift! :wink:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts