Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Admins, If there are other threads like this please shut this one down, I did a search but didn't find one...

I ride almost daily and I have a medical condition (one of many) that causes me to sweat like a drug mule going through customs if parts of my body are constricted. Like when I wear a helmet for a few hours, especially during the day. Therefore my helmet is pretty yucky on the inside most of the time, either damp, soaking wet, or at a minimum pretty smelly. Does anyone have tips that work for them to keep their helmet fresh most of the time? During the winter I can wear a skull cap which helps, but 10 months of the year my helmet is usually damp on the inside if I wear it daily.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Why don't you wear a skull cap in the summer? Too hot?

If the interior comes out with click buttons then take it apart. Usually check pads first and the top head pad will either be 1 piece front to back or will be 2 Ala Arai style with a top head pad and a separate neck pad.stupid design. Those guys need to leap to 2020 already. Those side pods... Sheesh

If it's oily and smelly put it in a bucket of 1 part white vinegar and 10 parts water. Let it soak a day. Take it out. Rinse off, throw in a short wash cycle with cold water. High speed spin cycle. Then I'll put on a window sill and have a fan blast air on it. It can get mildew-y if you don't dry it ast enough.

This is my experience. I too sweat a lot.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
If it doesn't have click buttons to release the interior.. Thats a lot more manual work

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Keep your hair short, if you’re riding with a full face helmet lift the face shield when you can and get a set of these and swap em out at intervals and tie the wet one to the grab rail.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why don't you wear a skull cap in the summer? Too hot?

If the interior comes out with click buttons then take it apart. Usually check pads first and the top head pad will either be 1 piece front to back or will be 2 Ala Arai style with a top head pad and a separate neck pad.stupid design. Those guys need to leap to 2020 already. Those side pods... Sheesh

If it's oily and smelly put it in a bucket of 1 part white vinegar and 10 parts water. Let it soak a day. Take it out. Rinse off, throw in a short wash cycle with cold water. High speed spin cycle. Then I'll put on a window sill and have a fan blast air on it. It can get mildew-y if you don't dry it ast enough.

This is my experience. I too sweat a lot.
In the Summer it is just way too hot but I may try it, anything might be better than putting on a wet helmet.

·
Administrator
19,947 Posts
I use a 'Do-rag' or a Heat-out' brand cap under mine.

Reactions: G-Dub and kwajman

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right now after today I'll try anything!

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
You know what I was thinking of doing is get some fabric that's wicking and use velcro on the liner (soft fuzzy part) and the fabric (spikey part) and hold it in place. Like a pillow sheet you can swap out and rewash. Not stretch fabric because it needs to cover the interior That's a money making idea right there

I know me.. I'll lose those skull caps or they'll fall to the floor or they'll go under the seat and start to stink up

·
Registered
2013 Suzuki Burgman 650 ABS
1,656 Posts
I really like these skull caps and use one every time I put on the helmet:
SCHAMPA Coolskin Skullcap Black
Amazon has them and many other places as well. I find these are not too hot at all and actually keep my head a bit cooler if the helmet has good venting (which my current helmet does). I've rarely worn my helmet without anything and find it warmer that way so usually don't go without. I also have a cotton cammo Do-Rag as a backup and every time I use it is noticeably warmer. My helmet does have removable cheek pads and the rest of the liner also comes out to be washed as well.

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
You might think about getting a white summer half helmet allowing you to exhale your moist breath into the open along with using the skull caps.

Reactions: kwajman

·
Premium Member
12,495 Posts
Yeah, I got a fried thyroid, I can sweat a bucketful in a blizzard, bedsheets are a one night use. When humidity reaches 98% a helmet gets wet, I have found I can keep my head drier by wearing a cloth on my head that hangs down my back and sides of head, this wicks sweat, and dries when moving. a Silk scarf works good,( in a pinch yer wifeys panny hooze might do it, when you put em back in her skivvies drawer, bury em deep, maybe they'll dry an she won't notice.)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sweat? meh... just a simple wipe down and spray some Lysol to lock down any growth.

With most safety gear including helmets sweat becomes the nature of the beast so you turn your gear inside out as needed to fully air dry spray with Lysol or Febreze and drive on.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I would research what football and hockey players use on their equipment ... would most certainly work for a helmet. Or even professional motorcycle racers.

Reactions: kwajman

·
Registered
8 Posts
I use a helmet liner every time I ride, but still every once in a while spray the inside with Febreze. But, I've just recently embraced the idea of steam, so I'm going to use a steamer, or pop out the pads & throw them in the washer & set it for it's steam refresh cycle...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts