Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife found out on Tuesday morning that her father in Florida needs emergency bypass surgery. She immediately booked a flight out of JFK airport to be by his side (surgery scheduled for tomorrow at 09:00 am est). The flight (Jet Blue) was scheduled to depart at 9:10 pm. My task was to get her to the airport at least 2 hours before take-off (yeah right!).

I arrived at home at 6:30 pm from work. I had a little dinner, got changed out of my monkey suit, then suggested "Should we take the bike?" The Belt Parkway to the airport from my house is tricky. It's always an accident away from being a traffic nightmare. Driving our cage in traffic would be a big gamble (i.e. It took me over 2 hours on Father's Day to pick up my daughter from JFK this year). Given the circumstances, I wanted to get my wife to JFK ASAP. She agreed that taking "Madge" was a good idea.

She is only planning on staying until Saturday, so she packed a small carry-on bag that fit easily into "madge's" trunk. I left for the airport with her at exactly 7:02 pm. I broke just about every traffic law known to man (something I don't do normally). I reached speeds of 85mph indicated, I switched lanes like a madman (sometimes without signalling) and I got her to the airport terminal at 7:28 pm. Twenty six minutes from the Staten Island North Shore to JFK airport on a Majesty (pretty **** good).

I was impressed. Not with my riding, but with the bike. It does everything I ask of it: City traffic dodger, highway speed demon (at least for me), two up tourer. "Madge" is excellent.

The Japanese definitely have something here. This has to catch on. If it doesn't, I will be dissapointed with my fellow man.

Please pray for my Father in Law. Thank you.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Wiily Mo, I've read in a couple of different reviews that the Majesty is sluggish off the line. What do you think? Have you ever had the chance to compare with a Burgman 400? People say that they can get the jump on most car traffic on the Burgman 400, what is your experience on the Majesty?

PS, I'm glad you're so pleased with your choice.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rubble,

I have never ridden the Burger 400. Would love to. "Madge" seems slugish from 1-20 mph. After 20 mph, it seems like "turbo charge" kicks in. As most reviewers note, this is a 400 better suited for the highway. It seems to me that one could get used to either machine.

For me, the Majesty is one hell of a bike. The 400 Burger might beat her off the line, but the Majesty will finish better (I think).

Either way, I believe I made the right choice with the Majesty. Like I said, it does everything I ask of it, and more. :wink: :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
848 Posts
Thanks Willy Mo. I hope your Father-in-law's surgery goes well. I had the same thing a year and a half ago. The recovery is a little tough, after all the do some pretty invasive stuff. Life afterwards is pretty incredible though.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rubble said:
Thanks Willy Mo. I hope your Father-in-law's surgery goes well. I had the same thing a year and a half ago. The recovery is a little tough, after all the do some pretty invasive stuff. Life afterwards is pretty incredible though.
Thank you very much. :lol:

·
Registered
496 Posts
Willy Mo, that was an incredibly ride that you made. I was also very interested in the Majesty, however it was too high off the ground for me. The Blue is really pretty. I am so sorry to hear about your father in law, I hope all went well for him. Be careful on the ride home though.

Evelyn

·
Registered
848 Posts
Willy Mo said:
Rubble,

"Madge" seems slugish from 1-20 mph. After 20 mph, it seems like "turbo charge" kicks in. As most reviewers note, this is a 400 better suited for the highway. It seems to me that one could get used to either machine.
I see that Malossi has a variator for the Majesty now. On the web site it says

"MULTIVAR 2000 MAXI
When the technology makes the difference.
Multivar : the sport transmission with the racing acceleration that can't be beat!"

I wonder if this would be the answer to sluggishness off the line, and if it is, at what penalty.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Willy Mo said:
My wife found out on Tuesday morning that her father in Florida needs emergency bypass surgery. She immediately booked a flight out of JFK airport to be by his side (surgery scheduled for tomorrow at 09:00 am est). The flight (Jet Blue) was scheduled to depart at 9:10 pm. My task was to get her to the airport at least 2 hours before take-off (yeah right!).

I arrived at home at 6:30 pm from work. I had a little dinner, got changed out of my monkey suit, then suggested "Should we take the bike?" The Belt Parkway to the airport from my house is tricky. It's always an accident away from being a traffic nightmare. Driving our cage in traffic would be a big gamble (i.e. It took me over 2 hours on Father's Day to pick up my daughter from JFK this year). Given the circumstances, I wanted to get my wife to JFK ASAP. She agreed that taking "Madge" was a good idea.

She is only planning on staying until Saturday, so she packed a small carry-on bag that fit easily into "madge's" trunk. I left for the airport with her at exactly 7:02 pm. I broke just about every traffic law known to man (something I don't do normally). I reached speeds of 85mph indicated, I switched lanes like a madman (sometimes without signalling) and I got her to the airport terminal at 7:28 pm. Twenty six minutes from the Staten Island North Shore to JFK airport on a Majesty (pretty **** good).

I was impressed. Not with my riding, but with the bike. It does everything I ask of it: City traffic dodger, highway speed demon (at least for me), two up tourer. "Madge" is excellent.

The Japanese definitely have something here. This has to catch on. If it doesn't, I will be dissapointed with my fellow man.

Please pray for my Father in Law. Thank you.
Willie Mo I tested the madge however I was sold so quickly on the 400 burg . I can totally relate to your ride to JFK a former grad of Staten Island University ... lets see you had staten island expressway the shore parkway , a toll bridge that is ssssooooooooo flippen longggg and tall then the infamous belt prkway in brooklyn ... mad rush hour waterway and wind :shock: then the new construction to the international JFK where you have to read at least 20 large green infested signs to know which exit to take for departure ! sheshhhhhhhh

Awesome bike the madge... I am happy you love it however ... I decided to auto- pilot for a change in my life

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
It's been 40 years since I lived in NYC, but I would think that you'd take the Veranzarro Narrows Bridge to the Southern State Parkway out to JFK... or is my memory playing tricks again?

:lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Ken OBSC said:
It's been 40 years since I lived in NYC, but I would think that you'd take the Veranzarro Narrows Bridge to the Southern State Parkway out to JFK... or is my memory playing tricks again?

:lol: :lol:
Maybe - do you have trouble remembering stuff! :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts