Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my 400 scoot this September and yesterday while hooking up my trickle charger I saw some small droplets on the top of the battery. i removed it and cleaned it off, (it was acid!) and I then placed it on charge out of the scoot, shook it severely and let it lay on its side like it is on the scoot. Sorry to say after doing this several times and cleaning the droplets off, it continues to leak while on its side. I don't won't to take a chance with a maintenance free SLA battery due to possible acid damage. So, in spite of being a new battery I am going to replace it. Anyone have any good recommendations for an AGM at a good price?
Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Bought a Megaboost battery from Cycle Gear a couple of years back. It had a Lifetime Warranty. This has now changed to a One Year warranty. Wasn't AGM, but it hasn't leaked. Leave it on a Battery Tender most of the time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had the my Dealer do a major tune-up on my 2007 400ANK7 Burgman in
2012. I elected to replace the original battery (It was still working) at the
same time. Dealer selected the battery (BT12A-BS Battery) $58.99. The
Scooter now has 39,000 miles and going strong.

I have never had a battery leak fluid.

Bob Copeland - Minnesota

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
+1 on Scorpion from batterystuff.com. Good prices, fast delivery, good customer support. And they last.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, the Motobatt seems to be the overall best one that is totally sealed. I wonder if my dealer put in the wrong battery when he sold the bike? It says maintenance free but it is not a sealed unit. It would be ok upright but not on its side.
Thanks for all the input, AGM technology is the way to go and this is a good price.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
This Autozone Battery looks good but at $84.99 + $8.00 core charge seems rather pricy, especially (if I'm reading it right) the warrenty is only 3 mo. I still have the original battery in mine. Just kept it on a battery tender I got from Harbor Fright.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
AGM batteries are remarkably reliable.

I replaced the OEM Panasonic AGM battery in my 1990 Miata--manufactured in October of 1989--in the Fall of 2003. Not because it was bad but because it was 14 years old and we were going to the mountains for a 2-week foliage tour.

My '98 Mercedes SL500 (made in May of 1997) has the original AGM battery, 17-1/2 years old and still going strong. On both of these vehicles the battery is in the trunk, keeping it away from engine heat--a very big factor here in Florida.

I use a Schumacher 1562A charger/maintainer ($20 at Walmart) on the SL500 because it sometimes sits for a month or more. The 1562 is a microprocessor controlled unit with automated charging, desulfation and maintenance modes. A neat feature is that should the battery draw the charger's maximum current for more than 12 hours it aborts. Many "trickle chargers" and "tenders" do not do this and can cook a battery when used during long-term storage.

I ride the scoot 15-20 miles nearly every day (at least 2-3 times a week even in what passes here for "winter") so it doesn't need any help...

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have use MottoBatt 2x now for my '08 400 and have bought from Randy at Sun Battery Co. Speak w/ Randy – let him know you’re a Burgman USA member FL 32204 (904) 354-4508 - He will give you a good price and ships same day. On my second battery I had a problem with it not holding charge and called Randy and he took care of the replacement, I just had to pay for shipping. First MBTX9U worked for me and lasted 3.5years no problems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts