Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! Frank from Jacksonville Fl. I have a few questions and hope you someone can answer these questions:

I have found several pre 2013 machines, both 400 & 650s (still have not decided on size). However, they are a fair distance away (Tampa, Miami and other locations). They are located at dealers. The prices seem reasonable to me (looked them up on KBB). So here are my questions:

1. Several dealers offer shipping. Any comments on that?
2. Some are 2012's, should I be concerned about hardened rubber hoses or fluids not circulating?
3. Yes, there are a few local deals, but for a little more, I could possibly go new. I know everyone feels go used (and so do I), but if new is slightly more, I figure why not go "new" previous years.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I am going to let other people answer the price question as I apparently over payed for my bike when I bought it last spring.

As to your question about the hoses on a 2012... They will be just fine. I bought a 2009 last spring and my hoses all all good. On a 2012, I wouldn't hesitate about them (not even a niggle of worry). If the bike hasn't been run in a while, I would add some Sea Foam to each tank of fuel for the next several tanks of gas.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Forget about shipping! this is a perfectly good excuse for a nice, 3 hour ride. Go there with someone and ride back. Have the other vehicle travel back with you in case of any problems. For that matter, I'd feel safe enough about a newer bike with low miles that I wouldn't even hesitate to fly there and ride back, alone. Just get assurances on fresh oil and good tires. I flew to pick up an '09 400 and rode it back 900+ miles after having my brother look it over good for me.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I agree with Scooter_Maniac. There's nothing to get you familiar with a new ride quite as much as riding her home for a few hours. I picked up a bike in Florence, SC and rode her home to Tampa and it was great!

I happened to have a good friend in Florence, but I'll bet you could find someone right here in the forum who would be willing to check out a bike practically anywhere. I'd certainly ride out to somewhere in Tampa. chat with the previous owner, and take some pictures to shoot to you. I'll bet lots of folks would be happy to help.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
OP - it would help put some things in context if you gave your riding background.
If this is your first bike or first larger bike ( the 650 ) - I'd tread cautiously on the 650 - the 400 is fine.

I'd not worry about late models fluids etc tho brake fluid change is a good idea when you get home as the tropics tend make the fluid pick up water and makes for spongy braking.

Burgmans are in general very reliable machines but some background from you will help us give you better advice.

If an experienced rider - just ride it home - either bike is fine on the freeways and nothing like some saddle time to get familiar.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You just missed out on a 2011 650 Exec in Daytona for 6k of which I am now the proud owner. From Miami to Jacksonville is a long ride much more than 3 hours. It took me 3 from the Daytona area back to West Palm. There was a new 2012 in Miami/Keys area for $7500 but after tax, tag, etc was $8400 out the door. It was the Charcoal color. There is a guy in Daytona who has a sweet 2006 with 6500 miles and it is loaded with LED riding lights, carbon fiber exhaust, cruise control, strobe brake lights, Shad top box and more. I really wanted it but couldnt swing the $7500 he wanted. He showed me receipts for all the after market stuff on it and it was well over $2k

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
You just missed out on a 2011 650 Exec in Daytona for 6k of which I am now the proud owner. From Miami to Jacksonville is a long ride much more than 3 hours. It took me 3 from the Daytona area back to West Palm. There was a new 2012 in Miami/Keys area for $7500 but after tax, tag, etc was $8400 out the door. It was the Charcoal color. There is a guy in Daytona who has a sweet 2006 with 6500 miles and it is loaded with LED riding lights, carbon fiber exhaust, cruise control, strobe brake lights, Shad top box and more. I really wanted it but couldnt swing the $7500 he wanted. He showed me receipts for all the after market stuff on it and it was well over $2k
2006 650 isn't worth $7,500 no matter how much stuff has been added. ;)

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I paid $4,500 for my 09 last year with a bunch of extras. I felt like I bought the bike and got the extras (way over $1,500 worth) see below.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts