Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:?: I have been enjoying my first 2 days with my new (to me) 650. I have a few questions though.

-How do you adjust the headlight beam? (can't find it in the manual)
-How accurate is the speedo and fuel guage?
-Does anyone make a passenger backrest for the 650?
-The front suspension seems pretty harsh, any fixes for this yet?
-I definitely want a taller windscreen, how much will I have to spend?

Thanks for any and all help!

·
Super Moderator
8,075 Posts
How do you adjust the headlight beam? (can't find it in the manual)
I havent neded to, but I think it is possible. Someone here has a thread, I think

The speedo reads aprox.10% high
70 indicated is 63 actual
60 indicated is 54 actual
40 indicated is 36 actual
YOU RESULTS MAY VARY
Fuel gauge: 4 Gal. tank, I fill up @ 120 - 140 miles, and average 48 mpg (us) some members report as little as 32 and as high as 53. If you have 1 bar showing you should have APROX 1 gal left. Driving it with agressive throttle gets you about 40 mpg

-Does anyone make a passenger backrest for the 650?
There are 2 I know of
Suzuki has one (about $140)
Fehling, out of Germany makes a luggage rack with a back rest (about $200) I think.

Stock fork oil is 10 weight
You could try lighter weight oil, but that may just speed up the action of the shock.
I changed mine to 15 weight and cut about 3/8" off the spacer (inside the fork tub. (It does get a bit involved).
You might try increasing your rear shock setting (the stock setting is set at 2) Try moving up a notch.

GIVI (Import) has one for about $130
Clearview (Domestic) makes several sizes and range from about $149 -$200 depending on what options you want.

This should get you started

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just saw a Givi backrest on the Arizona Motorsports Group for $71.55!

Anyone hear any pros or cons on these or this site?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Con #1: looks goofy as heck. Give it a couple of wide-spaced eyes and it looks like it should be saying, "E.T. phone home!"

·
Registered
969 Posts
The headlights are fairly easy to adjust if you have a L-shaped screwdriver.

Remove the rain shield just above the front fender (two bolts). The lower (I think) of the two adjustment screws in the black plastic headlight module adjusts for up/down. The upper one adjusts side/side.

Steve

Gear up!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just ordered the Givi backrest from Twisted Throttle for $62+ shipping. It may not be the most beautiful but it fit 2 of my criteria; functional and cheap!

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Also, there are online sources to order the Suzuki backrest for closer to $100, plus S&H. My local dealer wants about $150, including tax.

·
Registered
111 Posts
-How do you adjust the headlight beam? (can't find it in the manual)

I never worried about that since I like the way it's aimed from the factory. Incidently, the brights on the bike are better than any car I've ever owned... really like that. I also like the fact that, unlike some bikes, BOTH headlights are on in dims (and brights).

I concur with the remarks about the speedo... took my bike through two different speed traps several times at different speeds, and found the 10% rule is pretty accurate. As far as fuel guage, I just did a ride yesterday and with .9 gal. of gas left I was down to one bar and blinking. I got about 53 MPG on that trip, mostly highway and interstate. BTW, I know my bike will do AT LEAST 103 MPH (indicated) with the Givi screen and Suzi backrest. :twisted: 7600 RPM on the tach. Bike handles it very well.

I like the Givi... I don't remember how much I spent, but it was around $130, think. I got it from the dealer and installed it myself, totally easy, just several screws.

Also, I bought the Suzuki backrest... don't remember how much I paid for it, just let the dealer do it. It's the same material as the seat, and really compliments the look of the bike... and it does NOT look like it needs to "phone home"... LOL

WLB :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Stock fork oil is 10 weight
You could try lighter weight oil, but that may just speed up the action of the shock.
I changed mine to 15 weight and cut about 3/8" off the spacer (inside the fork tub. (It does get a bit involved).
You might try increasing your rear shock setting (the stock setting is set at 2) Try moving up a notch.
This should get you started[/quote]

Jim - can you tell much difference with the spacer mod? I ride a lot of rough county roads on the way to work and I am tired of getting bounced around.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Pirelli tires also make a big difference. It sounds weird, I know. But I was really surprised at the improvement in ride when I switched over to them. I run Ikon shocks (Australian) in the rear. There is also an air shock from Fornales (French company), and one of our US members is running them. Improving the rear suspension does have some effect on the front.

I was going to change my front fork oil to 15w, but after mounting the Pirellis and Ikons, I'm reasonably happy with the ride. There is nothing you can do to make a 15" wheel roll over a bump like a 19" wheel does. But tires, shocks and fork oil can improve the ride - and I'd go about it in that order.

·
Super Moderator
8,075 Posts
Xray

It seemed a bit softer. I didn't want to go over board so I started at 3/8". The front sits about 3/16" lower, and the action has slowed some. What seemed to improve, was not getting the sudden jolt when you 1st hit a bump. Typically, stiffer suspension is better for high speed or performance riding. Mostly riding 2 - up, I don't do that anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts