Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ....... I've been wondering this about going darkside. Wouldn't a car tire put more strain on the ECVT/belt than a motorcycle does?? Surely it takes more power to turn a car tire than a motorcycle tire, right? Car tire is gonna weigh more. And there is a greater contact patch ... friction on the asphalt.
Anybody have high mileage Burgman that's been Darksided the majority of the scoots miles? Kinda makes you go hmmmmm ......... or at least it does me.

Sirkitrider

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
As the belt doesn't drive the rear wheel like on a 400 I don't think it would. It would be like saying that a 200 lb rider would put more strain on the belt then a 100 lb. rider. Or how about riding with a larger windshield compared to a stock one. How about riding at 85 mph compared to 50 mpg. And the list could go on. I have 15k on my darkside tire & I'm not going back to a MC tire. :D

·
Registered
753 Posts
I'm with desert
Me too. And Chappy.

Over the years I have put tens of thousands of miles running a CT and never once regretted it. Don't even think about it anymore.

·
Administrator
18,735 Posts
I got an average of 50 to 52 MPG when I had a Motorcycle tire on. I have been averaging between 49 and 55 depending on weather and cruising speeds with car tires. So mileage is as good or slightly better with a Car tire. And to compound it, I am running a (NOT RECOMMENDED) 185/60 HR 14, much wider and taller than a 160/60 HR 14.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I haven't noticed any increase in fuel mileage or less performance. Just a smoother ride. If it weren't for some sidewall flexing on slow corners (under 25mph) that cause a slight wobble I wouldn't know I even have a car tire. On faster corners centrifugal force reduces the flexing to where I don't notice it at all.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I've riden CT on my Burgman's for 50,000 miles, pllus or minus, mileage is the same or just a tad better than the MT. No regrets what so ever.
Later, Jim

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Darksiding will cause extra wear, if you have been accelerating slowly from standstill, knowing that each start from a red light costs the equivalent of 100 miles riding at constant speed on MC tires.

The car tire has 5 times the amount of rubber on the road to spread out the load.

·
Registered
753 Posts
The car tire has 5 times the amount of rubber on the road to spread out the load.
5 times? Are you positive about that? What size tire are you running on the back of yours? The footprint of my 165/60/14 is only slightly more than the stock tire and that was a 160/160/14. Where do you get the 5 times greater figure from?

·
Administrator
18,735 Posts
It may not be 5 times in most cases but it is greater that 2 times the footprint. In my case, 185/60 HR 14 MUCH more than twice the footprint.

Need to have a Burgman 650 with a MT and a Burgman 650 with a CT ride thru a puddle of water and then look at the footprints when it hits dry pavement to see how much greater the CT's footprint is. Not just wide but in length too. The taller the tire the larger the length is too. My 185/60 HR 14 is much taller than a 160/60 HR 14. So about 25mm wider and maybe 10mm longer and with a flat profile it has to be over 5 times larger. But I will not run this size of tire again as it will hit the swingarm and must be modified to fit.

When my speedo is on 70 MPH, I am doing 71 true MPH. In the roadside ODO test signs of 5 miles, I travel about 4.85 miles. Before with the stock MT, at 70 MPH I was doing about 64 MPH and it that 5 mile test Id go 5.75 miles.

At 64,500 miles, I will NEVER sell this Burgman as a "RIDER" to some poor sap that may get 10 miles or 25,000 miles more from the CVT. I am 1000% unconcerned about my WRONG odo readings. Because I have run a taller CT on this bike ever since I ran the OEM BattleAx dead, I am really closer to 70,000 miles on the front wheel bearings and they failed yesterday. :rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts